What to do about London?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Even with Boris’s landslide victory in the GE, London remains overwhelmingly a Labour stronghold. It has been well discussed in the past that there is the London bubble inside the M25 and the rest of the UK outside. This is never more true than now.

London is out of step with rUK and I believe that the majority of the division within the UK as a whole is generated from within the London bubble. In other words we need to sort London out and get it on the same page and singing from the same song sheet as rUK.

I live outside the M25 and rarely visit London. Recently I visited Westfield Shopping Centre in Shepherds Bush and was amazed to see every lamppost in the locale decorated with EU flags rather like an act of defiance to rUK. Whilst very much a token and ultimately futile gesture it just gives a glimpse into the attitude and mindset of the type of people running these councils. They are spending good money on this type of stuff which is pure politics and nothing to do with providing good local services.

I have thought about London a lot recently and I firmly believe we, that is rUK, need to find some way to realign London. After all, as our capital it should speak for the whole nation and currently it speaks purely for itself and appears to be run by radical leftists.

• London is the Mecca for people who do not particularly class themselves as British. They are the 'anywheres' and have no loyalty to the UK. They will go to whichever country is the most advantageous for them personally. This has been done deliberately by successive governments to water down patriotism.

Next we will have another massive war (possibly, but I hope not) and the only people defending the UK will be the patriots, so they will be slaughtered and the 'anywheres' will become dominant and bingo, they will happily submit to a supranational government, as they have no care for the country.

A bit far-fetched ... maybe ... but who would defend the UK, if necessary?

It's probably too late for the UK now. Switzerland has the right idea regarding citizenship, whereas the UK dishes out citizenships like confetti.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• My friend owns a £650 thousand house.. Moans all the time about the "London shithole"... Will not sell up and move. Why???

• There's a word that makes me shudder, "patriotism"

Has a ring of the KKK and EDL about it

London is attractive to immigrants because it is a hotspot for the work they do that Brits will not, care, transport, LA etc

If They Can Do It So Can I

Why? How can it be wrong to be loyal to the country you reside in, and be willing to defend it from those who would take it for their own?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Why? How can it be wrong to be loyal to the country you reside in, and be willing to defend it from those who would take it for their own?

That could be straight out of the KKK or EDL bible

Who wants to take the UK for "their own"?

• I agree Fidget.

There's a word that makes me shudder, "patriotism"

London is attractive to immigrants because it is a hotspot for the work they do that Brits will not, care, transport, LA etc

I'm patriotic, that has nothing to do with extremist groups.

My friend owns a £650 thousand house.. Moans all the time about the "London shithole"... Will not sell up and move. Why???

There's obviously advantages to living in a big city, 24 hour shopping, 24 hour buses and now tubes too etc But yes, it's just too crowded.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• That could be straight out of the KKK or EDL bible

If you infer again that she is a member of the KKK or EDL, you'll be taking a "little" break, Do you understand?

• I have thought about London a lot recently and I firmly believe we, that is rUK, need to find some way to realign London. After all, as our capital it should speak for the whole nation and currently it speaks purely for itself and appears to be run by radical leftists.

Before you do your realignment, let me get out of London first.^^

I agree with everything you've said.

• Before you do your realignment, let me get out of London first.^^

I agree with everything you've said.

Hence the title of the post "What to do about London?".

I'm not sure what can be done TBH, but as it stands it is not fit for purpose as our nations capital.

Now there is an urban myth if ever there was, the lazy Brits that won't do certain types of work. This is one of the big lies peddled by Globalists to justify mass immigration. It's not true now and never has been. Brits are perfectly happy to do all the work but they won't do it if they are being undercut in a race to the bottom on wages caused by mass immigration from Eastern Europe and Asia.

• Brits are perfectly happy to do all the work but they won't do it if they are being undercut in a race to the bottom on wages caused by mass immigration from Eastern Europe and Asia.

Agreed. I am sure many Brits would go fruit picking in other countries if they were being paid 4-10 times what they could earn in the UK.

• My friend owns a £650 thousand house.. Moans all the time about the "London shithole"... Will not sell up and move. Why???

Addressing the house price issue, the average property price in London today is £657k. Obviously a fairly useless figure in itself given that this simply doesn't square with the amount of incredibly deprived inner city areas that exist in London where every resident is most likely on housing benefit and/or some other benefits to top up their wages if they actually have a job at all. Given the minimum wage of £8.21 it is hard to understand why many people persist in living in London when they would be far better off getting out of the place. Clearly I'm no expert in moving from one social housing area to another so the possibility of being stuck where you are is I suppose very real.

The "London shithole" remark, well some parts of London are very nice indeed but then there are others that really are shitholes. A few years back I went to Wembley Stadium for the first time and walked from the local Underground station to the stadium. I can report without fear of understatement that the district of Wembley is a shithole.

• That could be straight out of the KKK or EDL bible

Well I do for starters. I was born here, so were my parents and so were theirs etc. going back as far as we can trace. England is my country by birth and ancestry. I am British for international recognition purposes (because most other nations do not recognise English as a nationality anymore) and England is one of the nations that makes up the United Kingdom of which I am a citizen.

So, without being affiliated to either EDL or KKK I very much consider England in particular and Britain and the UK by extension to belong to me and me to it. I am a patriot and unashamedly so.

• Now there is an urban myth if ever there was, the lazy Brits that won't do certain types of work. This is one of the big lies peddled by Globalists to justify mass immigration. It's not true now and never has been. Brits are perfectly happy to do all the work but they won't do it if they are being undercut in a race to the bottom on wages caused by mass immigration from Eastern Europe and Asia.

The proof pf the pudding is the fact that the labour pool to do these jobs is drying up

Care homes are struggling to find staff, crops are rotting in the fields. Brits will not do these jobs

It was the same in the 50s when workers from the Caribbean came to fill the vacancies

• If you infer again that she is a member of the KKK or EDL, you'll be taking a "little" break, Do you understand?

At no time did I suggest or infer that she was a member of the KKK or EDL, I said that the word made me shudder

Is one no longer allowed to express an opinion?

• The proof pf the pudding is the fact that the labour pool to do these jobs is drying up

Care homes are struggling to find staff, crops are rotting in the fields. Brits will not do these jobs

It was the same in the 50s when workers from the Caribbean came to fill the vacancies

Of course the Brits will do this work but not at the current wage being offered. There is a big difference between refusing to do certain types of work and refusing to be exploited which is what the current imported workforce are.

• Of course the Brits will do this work but not at the current wage being offered. There is a big difference between refusing to do certain types of work and refusing to be exploited which is what the current imported workforce are.

True, but the consumer would not pay the end resulting price

It is the same with clothing, people will only buy the cheaper produce of so called sweat labour of Asia

• True, but the consumer would not pay the end resulting price

It is the same with clothing, people will only buy the cheaper produce of so called sweat labour of Asia

Not true. People will pay the market rate which is open to competitive forces.

The people of the Asian sweat shops are exploited because they can be by the globalist giants. Lower wages means higher profits not lower prices

• Not true. People will pay the market rate which is open to competitive forces.

The people of the Asian sweat shops are exploited because they can be by the globalist giants. Lower wages means higher profits not lower prices

The fact that M&S clothes sales are minimal but Primark's are phenomenal proves my point

There is always concern about Asian swear shops, especially child exploitation but complainers forget that the child's wages are a vital part of their family;s budget. We may not like that but that is the way it is

• When did London become controlled by super rich Arabs and Russians? What about our people?

• Now there is an urban myth if ever there was, the lazy Brits that won't do certain types of work. This is one of the big lies peddled by Globalists to justify mass immigration. It's not true now and never has been. Brits are perfectly happy to do all the work but they won't do it if they are being undercut in a race to the bottom on wages caused by mass immigration from Eastern Europe and Asia.

That's not what employers think. One responded recently that the reason he had more migrants on his workforce than the native population was that he couldn't rely on the British workforce to be capable of giving change from a tenner.

Says it all, really. Many of them are bone idle and just want to rely on benefits.

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• That's not what employers think. One responded recently that the reason he had more migrants on his workforce than the native population was that he couldn't rely on the British workforce to be capable of giving change from a tenner.

Says it all, really. Many of them are bone idle and just want to rely on benefits.

You have just endorsed my case for immigration :)

• That's not what employers think. One responded recently that the reason he had more migrants on his workforce than the native population was that he couldn't rely on the British workforce to be capable of giving change from a tenner.

Yes and no.

The reason foreign labour is employed for certain jobs, is because quite often they are paid less, even less than minimum wage and that's why English workers won't touch some jobs.

Employers, as a general principle want to pay the least they can get away with. Market forces are what drive wage bills up (or down). If you have a skill that is in demand you can name your price. If you don't have a valuable skill you are likely to be locked into a race to the bottom.

However, if you are an immigrant who arrives here legally you are more likely to be a highly motivated individual who has already made a bold life choice to move countries for work. Therefore, even if you are not highly skilled you will still have that sense of drive and determination that many in more comfortable situations do not possess. That makes immigrants a highly compelling choice for employers. Put simply an employer gets more bang for their buck from an immigrant. Especially as a lot of the immigrants are in the low skill sector where pay is already low, its a "win win" for employers.

But does this make it right?

Surely the addiction to cheap immigrant labour is a vicious circle that doesn't work for the good and overall benefit of the nation. If native Brits are being squeezed out by immigrants it means there will be a higher benefits bill. This is paid for out of our taxes. Furthermore we are pouring more school leavers into this pile of humanity at the bottom each year, whilst at the same time allowing immigrants to come over and work here for wages that are not acceptable. The short sightedness of this model must be blindingly obvious.

The example in the quote above that the British workforce couldn't be relied on to give change from a tenner is another case of cranked up hyperbole. Of course there are some lazy, useless, good for nothings out there but they are the exception and not the rule. Most people are decent, hard working and fair minded who just want to get on in life and improve their lot over time, that's what we all want. However, importing cheap labour whose motivations are different to the majority of the labour market is only ever going to cause resentment. These people do take jobs from native Brits, they do undercut the wage market thereby reducing interest in these jobs from native Brits and consequently employers become addicted to it and resist changing. Employers bleating about their reliance on immigrant labour is what we have been hearing throughout the Brexit debate.

Even the government are not immune to this addiction as we have now reached a point where we are reliant on imported doctors and nurses to staff our hospitals whilst at the same time making staff redundant and cutting funding for training. The ensuing shortage of skilled native Brits then fuels the claims that we need to keep the immigrants coming in. Clearly these decisions need to be reversed and policies put in place to make employing somebody from overseas a last resort rather than a first choice.

I have argued in the past that I do not understand how people from other countries have skills that they cannot sell in the own nation and we have jobs for which we do not have the skills, it doesn't make any sense.

How do the people with skills get trained and more importantly have the necessary experience prior to getting employed in the UK, if there are no jobs in their chosen occupation in their home nation? Why train for something for which there are no jobs?

and

How come we have established businesses in the UK for which their was no available labour market? How did the business ever get started at all?

I keep coming back to the same conclusion, cheap labour and higher profits.

• You have just endorsed my case for immigration :)

I take your point, but two things. Firstly, we need to educate better at school, and secondly, the Government's points-based system will take account of genuine skills shortage areas (eg fruit pickers, nurses, care staff, etc).

Nothing wrong with immigration if people are coming here for good reasons that benefit this country.

• The back drop to this so called E European cheap labour id the fact that they manage to live her on their wages and still send money back home to support their family there

• The back drop to this so called E European cheap labour id the fact that they manage to live her on their wages and still send money back home to support their family there

I hear that Africans are even cheaper.

However, that's not the point. We should only be employing those who are willing to do jobs the British won't. Whoever is employed deserves to be paid the rate for the job.

• Whoever is employed deserves to be paid the rate for the job.

True but how many employers would willingly do that

Harold Wilson had a Prices and Income policy where the government decided how much pay people would get, and how much the goods produced would be priced at

Corbyn proposed something similar in the recent election - soundly rejected by the voters

• True but how many employers would willingly do that

Harold Wilson had a Prices and Income policy where the government decided how much pay people would get, and how much the goods produced would be priced at

Corbyn proposed something similar in the recent election - soundly rejected by the voters

There is a little thing called the Equal Pay Act, as well as the Minimum Wage.