Judgment Day. Deal or no deal.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Brexit: Varadkar and Merkel discuss May's Brexit deal in phonecall

The Irish and German leaders have discussed how to help Theresa May get her Brexit deal through Parliament.

Taoiseach (Irish PM) Leo Varadkar said he held a 40-minute phone call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday morning at her request.

He said they agreed to offer reassurances and guarantees to the UK, but would not change the existing deal.

Europe hints at backstop vow to get May’s Brexit deal through Commons vote

Cabinet ministers have been told that EU countries are likely to provide assurances to Theresa May over her Brexit deal, but these have been referred to as “operation figleaf” by Whitehall officials.

Downing Street hopes that the clarifications from the EU over the Northern Ireland backstop will come in the week before a vote on her withdrawal agreement, which will be either on January 15 or 16.

These could include a promise that the EU does not want to keep Britain in the backstop permanently and that it is “not the desired outcome” or that it will be “only for a short period”.

Now the games begin...:cursing:

The EU will not alter the deal, so the so-called guarantees of nothing of the kind. They need to be in the treaty for them to be legally binding.

Will the MPs fall for this nonsense and capitulate and vote for the deal?

• The EU will not alter the deal, so the so-called guarantees of nothing of the kind. They need to be in the treaty for them to be legally binding.

Will the MPs fall for this nonsense and capitulate and vote for the deal?

It will give the Remainers among them an excuse to approve the deal. I doubt any true Brexiteers will accept it, as the whole deal is rotten even without the backstop.

I imagine the DUP and the opposition won't vote for it (apart from a few dedicated EU sycophants) so it is still unlikely to get through.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I saw someone on the news this morning who was scathing about the economic forecasts (but in a polite way), saying they were not forecasts but were worst case scenarios. Such a pity nobody does worst case scenarios (passed off as forecasts) of the EU economies.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I imagine the DUP and the opposition won't vote for it (apart from a few dedicated EU sycophants) so it is still unlikely to get through.

And that's exactly what the DUP said yesterday. They won't capitulate:

BBC: No way DUP will back deal

Scare stories now coming along again , farming , science , immigration , don't you just love it !:D

The BBC are having a great time. What will they do with themselves, when, in a few years from now, Brexit is all done and dusted and Britain is fine and hasn't collapsed?

I saw someone on the news this morning who was scathing about the economic forecasts (but in a polite way), saying they were not forecasts but were worst case scenarios. Such a pity nobody does worst case scenarios (passed off as forecasts) of the EU economies.

I'm sure Mark Carney isn't finished yet either...:rolleyes:

• For me it’s more than Brexit now.

I’m more moved by the disregard & disrespectful way parliament are treating my vote, democracy is on the line, i feel rather ticked off by that.

Still, nothing to do yet as the meaningless vote has not taken place.

I think she (May) mistakes the Brexit silence for acceptance, how wrong she is.

• As I've said before, there will be hardships when we leave. That is obvious, as we are leaving a organisation that we have been part of for a very long time. But unlike the vast majority of the media, I reckon we'll be fine in the end.

Nobody ever mentions the hardships suffered when we joined the EU. We 'did the dirty' on our Commonwealth partners and lost most of our fishing. We lost our independence and our sovereignty, and the EU money (partly our money) was used to help UK business (and thousands of jobs) move to other countries, including Turkey of all places. Paying the EU is like paying for your own demise.

• For me it’s more than Brexit now.

I’m more moved by the disregard & disrespectful way parliament are treating my vote, democracy is on the line, i feel rather ticked off by that.

Still, nothing to do yet as the meaningless vote has not taken place.

I think she (May) mistakes the Brexit silence for acceptance, how wrong she is.

Fully agree. For someone who is meant to be at the top of her game, she is PM, she seems utterly clueless about how politics works. And don't forget it's a meaningful vote, really...:P Until it gets voted down.:)

Nobody ever mentions the hardships suffered when we joined the EU. We 'did the dirty' on our Commonwealth partners and lost most of our fishing. We lost our independence and our sovereignty, and the EU money (partly our money) was used to help UK business (and thousands of jobs) move to other countries, including Turkey of all places. Paying the EU is like paying for your own demise.

I was around then, but too young then, but I know that we abandoned Australia, NZ and Canada for our European "fiends." The same friends we've been fighting thousands of years.

• I was around then, but too young then, but I know that we abandoned Australia, NZ and Canada for our European "fiends." The same friends we've been fighting thousands of years.

I was around, married and running a home, and I noticed the way food (and other items) rocketed in price, 'despite' paying huge fees upon joining the Common Market!

• I was around, married and running a home, and I noticed the way food (and other items) rocketed in price, 'despite' paying huge fees upon joining the Common Market!

My mother always remarked on this too , made everyone wonder what the actual benefit of the EEC was !

• Can't comment Fidget, but wasn't decimalisation a key factor too?

Decimalisation played a minor part in the increases, but food prices rocketed far more than other products.

• At least it kept the French happy with their subsidised food. Why have a few choices of cheese and wine, when you can get someone else to pay for multiple choices for you?

I've lost the article at the moment, but Germany's AFD party has been calling for key reforms of the EU and if it doesn't happen within four years, they will try for their version of Brexit too.

Let the dominoes fall.:) (and this coming from someone who is pro-EU in many respects.)

• I've lost the article at the moment, but Germany's AFD party has been calling for key reforms of the EU and if it doesn't happen within four years, they will try for their version of Brexit too.

I read that too, Horizon. Here is the article I read.

EU ON THE BRINK: German eurosceptics threaten 'DEXIT' unless EU parliament is ABOLISHED

The 'yellow vest' riots in France have continued this weekend.

EDIT: Yellow vest protests in London too. Article here:

Yellow vests protest hits London: Smoke bombs detonated outside Parliament, roads blocked

Hopefully, it will warn our politicians of what could happen if they abandon Brexit.

• Brexit deal critics risking democracy - May

Theresa May again urges MPs to back her deal - but a poll suggests only one in four voters backs it.

In full: PM's interview with Andrew Marr

The prime minister is asked about the the Brexit vote in Parliament, which was pulled last month, and how much longer she plans to be her party's leader.

You've got to hand it to May, she doesn't give up. If only her energies were focussed differently!

• Brexit: Date for vote on Theresa May's deal confirmed

MPs will vote on Theresa May's Brexit deal on Tuesday, 15 January, government sources have confirmed.

The Commons vote was called off last month by the PM, who was facing defeat, but sources have told the BBC the vote will not be delayed again.

It is also understood the government will set out further reassurances on the controversial backstop.

Mark it in your diaries folks, next Tuesday is the day of the vote. Perhaps May will invite Noel Edmonds over for the event.8o

Will it be a deal or no deal?

• There is some speculation that the vote will be delayed. It appears that May still has insufficient support so quite what happens next is anyones' guess. It is reported that over 200 MP's have written a letter to May demanding that a no deal exit is taken off the table. So that's at least 200 undemocratic MP's in the Commons, but not enough to prevent a no deal exit (I hope).

Personally, I would be quite happy for the vote to be delayed forever, so long as we still leave the EU on 29th March.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!