Judgment Day. Deal or no deal.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • 412 for, 202 against.

So, the government will now go for an extension to Article 50.:cursing::thumbdown:

Edit: Here's the Beeb story on this:

Brexit: MPs vote by 412 to 202 to seek delay to EU departure

MPs have voted by 412 to 202 for Prime Minister Theresa May to ask the EU for a delay to Brexit.

It means the UK may not now leave on 29 March as previously planned.

Mrs May says Brexit could be delayed by three months, to 30 June, if MPs back her withdrawal deal in a vote next week.

If they reject her deal again then she says she will seek a longer extension - but any delay has to be agreed by the 27 other EU member states.

• It was just said on Sky News that May said in parliament over hundred times that we would leave on the 29th March. She is now piling pressure on the Brexit Conservative MPs to cave in and agree to her deal. I think they'll capitulate and we will "leave" on the 29th. If we don't, what is parliament for? Might as well do away with them.

• There is one great big snag. May's deal isn't Brexit in any shape or form and there is no escape from it. It's worse than EU membership!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I know Fidget. The money, in the great scheme of things, is trivial, not that £39 billion is a small sum. But quasi jurisdiction of the ECJ over us post Brexit, is not a trivial matter, neither are all the other issues we discussed last year.

I think the game was up when May won her non-confidence vote against her and you could see the momentum draining from Rees-Mogg and others and they have been very silent since. They'll cave next week, or whenever it will be and vote for her, the EU's, deal.

• And to add, we know what a Brexit deal could've looked like thanks to Fidget's links from last year on what David Davis worked on, which was subsequently binned by May and the "proper" deal came to light.

The Conservative Brexit MPs should've gone for her throat at that moment and they didn't.

As another female PM used to say, "weak, weak, weak."

• Direct action is now being organised to object to a Brexit delay. Go slow blockages are being organised by lorries on all major motorways and highways, starting next Friday and Saturday, especially around ports and ferries.

Anyone on facebook can join the group:

BREXIT PROTEST & DIRECT ACTION GROUP UK

It's time we showed Parliament we won't allow them to ride roughshod over democracy. Sitting back and doing nothing indicates compliance and meek acceptance of their outright deceit and dishonesty.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Rather than block motorways, the should all turn up at Parliament Square and block things up. That might have a greater effect.

The politicians would be sneering at us while the police cleared a pathway for them. Countrywide action is much better.

• Do you think the DUP and conservative Brexit MPs will capitulate Fidget and vote the deal?

I hope not, but it's beginning to look like that could happen. :(

If so, then even the Brexiters have turned traitor, unless they can get us out of the 'deal', which gives us nothing at all except more years of 'negotiation' (which should really read capitulation).

I'd rather remain on current terms than those terms, but they should give us Brexit, which is what we voted for. Parliament is 100% dishonest, in particular May, but all the others too for dancing to her tune.

• Quite a few Tory politicians are saying they still won't vote for it, and I can't see Labour or the SNP voting for it, so there is still hope.

• Third Brexit vote must be different - Speaker

John Bercow has ruled out another vote on the government's previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

He told MPs parliamentary conventions dating back to 1604 meant they could not be asked to vote on precisely the same subject twice in the same session.

MPs rejected Theresa May's Brexit deal with the EU by 149 votes last week.

Well that finger crossing and hoping has worked! May's deal is effectively dead.:)

Never thought I'd say this, but I am warming to John Bercow a lot.^^

And without a reason to extend Article 50 now, perhaps the EU might bring this nonsense to a end.

• Third Brexit vote must be different - Speaker

Well that finger crossing and hoping has worked! May's deal is effectively dead.:)

Never thought I'd say this, but I am warming to John Bercow a lot.^^

And without a reason to extend Article 50 now, perhaps the EU might bring this nonsense to a end.

Berkow cannot now allow the defeated Grieve, Cooper and Benn amendme back now can he , he has made a rod for his own back,!

• Berkow cannot now allow the defeated Grieve, Cooper and Benn amendme back now can he , he has made a rod for his own back,!

Not quite true. If they make a change to the amendment then he will allow them back, but they aren't legally binding anyway. It just gives voters a detailed list of the undemocratic MP's.

• That almost guarantees that Brexit will be delayed and wont happen on March 29th, at least its made some people happy.

I don't think that's the case Ron. Unless the EU agree to an extension of A50 it happens as it is cast in UK statute. Bercow by his actions has effectively ruled out bringing the A50 bill back to parliament for a second vote.

Why would the EU agree when there's no change in the "deal". They (the EU) have ruled out opening up fresh negotations on the "deal" many times so nothing would be achieved by an extension, even if it could be forced through parliament in the short time available.

Given the games being played I can't see anything significant happening in the next week or so that will stop a proper exit and a final end to uncertainty. At least I hope so, I for one am totally fed up with Brexit not being honoured.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!