UK/EU future deal. Should the UK accept a level playing field?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Well, Brexiteers are not fooled!

They were fooled in 2016 as time will show

What they fail to grasp as I have said is that if the EU were so desperate to keep our trade they would have bent over backwards to keep is. They didn't

• They were fooled in 2016 as time will show

What they fail to grasp as I have said is that if the EU were so desperate to keep our trade they would have bent over backwards to keep is. They didn't

What are you on about? The figures show that the EU would lose out. What exactly is your argument to the contrary?

It all sounds like left-wing defeatism to me. You seem to be implying also that the EU has lost trade already. What exactly do you mean?

As I have said again and again, trade will be much the same as it is now when we leave. The only question is whether it comes with or without tariffs in the future.

• As I have said again and again, trade will be much the same as it is now when we leave. The only question is whether it comes with or without tariffs in the future.

Tariffs

These are the things that put prices up and reduce sales

• Think about it, your wonderful post Brexit Shangrila

I have no idea what you are on about, I am afraid. Your comment is perfectly correct, but I can't see its relevance to the conversation.

It is for the very reason you have highlighted that both the EU and the UK would prefer to have a tariff-free trade deal. That is what the political declaration states.

You are entitled to your views, of course, but to rubbish everything the government is trying to achieve without reason is a little disingenous because such comments cannot be taken seriously.

I have given you reasons why it is my view that a tariff-free deal will be negotiated. I am not clear what you have to say that contradicts my opinion, although I would be pleased to debate that with you.

• You are entitled to your views, of course, but to rubbish everything the government is trying to achieve without reason is a little disingenous because such comments cannot be taken seriously.

It's quite simple, I do not believe that the government is or will be acting in the best interests of all the UK citizens. I think they will simply want to leave the EU regardless, such is their dogma

Food prices are high enough now driving many to use Food Banks, this will only get worse once we lose the cheaper stuff coming in from the EU. And I do not believe in this panacea of trade from the rest of the world coming in the same or cheaper - shipping costs for a start

• It's quite simple, I do not believe that the government is or will be acting in the best interests of all the UK citizens. I think they will simply want to leave the EU regardless, such is their dogma

Food prices are high enough now driving many to use Food Banks, this will only get worse once we lose the cheaper stuff coming in from the EU. And I do not believe in this panacea of trade from the rest of the world coming in the same or cheaper - shipping costs for a start

OK, fair enough if that's your view. However, the rhetoric coming out of the UK Government and the EU is just that. It is the precursor to the negotiations.

As far as food prices are concerned, we can just as easily buy our food from other countries - the EU is not the sole provider of any food (thank God), and it might surprise you to learn that imported food from elsewhere is likely to be cheaper, not more expensive, even when taking account of shipping costs. That is because, amongst other things, those countries benefit from a cheaper labour force and/or increased efficiency.

• For those who fervently believe that the EU is desperate to continue trading with the UK

"Boris Johnson rejects EU's post-Brexit trade deal after Brussels insists on retaining control over UK's tax rules"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8…trade-deal.html

Interesting that you imply that Boris should just go along with it!

As I said, this is just the opening gambit in the forthcoming negotiations.

• Interesting that you imply that Boris should just go along with it!

As I said, this is just the opening gambit in the forthcoming negotiations.

I;m not implying anything other than pointing out what I have claimed all along - no chance of negotiating any deal favourable to us

• No way we should put up with inferior EU standards.

• No way we should put up with inferior EU standards.

Funnily enough I thought of those "inferior" EU standards today

I needed to replace a broken 13 amp plug. A chore I had thankfully not had to do for a long time since the EU imposed the all new electrical goods coming with a fitted plug rule :)

• I am sure you can make a list, but I would not regard free movement, lack of democracy, bureaucracy and the like to be good reasons for staying in and nor would the majority of the electorate.

The majority of the electorate could not give a fig about those concerns of yours, the one you failed to mention of course was immigration - specifically from non whites

• The majority of the electorate could not give a fig about those concerns of yours, the one you failed to mention of course was immigration - specifically from non whites

I said 'free movement', which covers immigration.

Interesting that you should say 'non-whites'. Do you seriously believe that? How could you have failed to see that so many people when interviewed said that EU immigrants were taking away their job opportunities? It is not a race issue with the vast majority, Bryanluc, it is a capacity issue. If you keep filling a pot, it will eventually overflow. We have to keep immigration in check.

So let's not play the race card, that is a diversion. In fact, by extending the ability to emigrate to this country from the rest of the world, it is more likely that we take in 'non-whites' than we do now, so your mindset on this is incorrect.

As for the majority of the electorate, they voted the way I did, both in the referendum and at the subsequent General Elections, so I don't understand why it is that you believe that I'm the one who is out of touch with popular opinion.

• The whole immigration issue started with UKIPs racism, hurriedly switched to EU immigration when they realised the backlash and support they had lost. With skilful PR this gained ground and eventually the Tories latched on to it although you already had the IDS crowd;s anti German agenda

Even Gordon Brown jumped on the bandwagon with his "British jobs for British workers"

All well and good until the realisation that we need unskilled EU workers to do the work Brits just will not do (the government are already adding caveat to the new Immigration Bill to allow some unskilled workers to come as they realise that our agricultural and care industry will grind to a halt)

It all sounds wonderful and will appeal to the Eurosceptic zealots but I bet a pound to a penny that at the end of the day nothing will change

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!