UK/EU future deal. Should the UK accept a level playing field?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • For those who fervently believe that the EU is desperate to continue trading with the UK

"Boris Johnson rejects EU's post-Brexit trade deal after Brussels insists on retaining control over UK's tax rules"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne…st-Brexit-trade-deal.html

Interesting that you imply that Boris should just go along with it!

As I said, this is just the opening gambit in the forthcoming negotiations.

• Interesting that you imply that Boris should just go along with it!

As I said, this is just the opening gambit in the forthcoming negotiations.

I;m not implying anything other than pointing out what I have claimed all along - no chance of negotiating any deal favourable to us

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• No way we should put up with inferior EU standards.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• No way we should put up with inferior EU standards.

Funnily enough I thought of those "inferior" EU standards today

I needed to replace a broken 13 amp plug. A chore I had thankfully not had to do for a long time since the EU imposed the all new electrical goods coming with a fitted plug rule :)

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Funnily enough I thought of those "inferior" EU standards today

I needed to replace a broken 13 amp plug. A chore I had thankfully not had to do for a long time since the EU imposed the all new electrical goods coming with a fitted plug rule :)

Congratulations on finding the best reason I have heard for staying in the EU!

• Just one of many, do you want a list?

I am sure you can make a list, but I would not regard free movement, lack of democracy, bureaucracy and the like to be good reasons for staying in and nor would the majority of the electorate.

• I am sure you can make a list, but I would not regard free movement, lack of democracy, bureaucracy and the like to be good reasons for staying in and nor would the majority of the electorate.

The majority of the electorate could not give a fig about those concerns of yours, the one you failed to mention of course was immigration - specifically from non whites

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• The majority of the electorate could not give a fig about those concerns of yours, the one you failed to mention of course was immigration - specifically from non whites

I said 'free movement', which covers immigration.

Interesting that you should say 'non-whites'. Do you seriously believe that? How could you have failed to see that so many people when interviewed said that EU immigrants were taking away their job opportunities? It is not a race issue with the vast majority, Bryanluc, it is a capacity issue. If you keep filling a pot, it will eventually overflow. We have to keep immigration in check.

So let's not play the race card, that is a diversion. In fact, by extending the ability to emigrate to this country from the rest of the world, it is more likely that we take in 'non-whites' than we do now, so your mindset on this is incorrect.

As for the majority of the electorate, they voted the way I did, both in the referendum and at the subsequent General Elections, so I don't understand why it is that you believe that I'm the one who is out of touch with popular opinion.

• The whole immigration issue started with UKIPs racism, hurriedly switched to EU immigration when they realised the backlash and support they had lost. With skilful PR this gained ground and eventually the Tories latched on to it although you already had the IDS crowd;s anti German agenda

Even Gordon Brown jumped on the bandwagon with his "British jobs for British workers"

All well and good until the realisation that we need unskilled EU workers to do the work Brits just will not do (the government are already adding caveat to the new Immigration Bill to allow some unskilled workers to come as they realise that our agricultural and care industry will grind to a halt)

It all sounds wonderful and will appeal to the Eurosceptic zealots but I bet a pound to a penny that at the end of the day nothing will change

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• The whole immigration issue started with UKIPs racism, hurriedly switched to EU immigration when they realised the backlash and support they had lost. With skilful PR this gained ground and eventually the Tories latched on to it although you already had the IDS crowd;s anti German agenda

Even Gordon Brown jumped on the bandwagon with his "British jobs for British workers"

All well and good until the realisation that we need unskilled EU workers to do the work Brits just will not do (the government are already adding caveat to the new Immigration Bill to allow some unskilled workers to come as they realise that our agricultural and care industry will grind to a halt)

It all sounds wonderful and will appeal to the Eurosceptic zealots but I bet a pound to a penny that at the end of the day nothing will change

Gordon Brown's reasoning was correct. People mainly voted UKIP because other parties were not doing enough to tackle the problem.

As far as unskilled workers are concerned, there is no doubt that immigrants are taking away jobs from British people. We need to educate and train our own people better so that they are competent to carry out the tasks required of them.

If employers can demonstrate that they have genuinely tried and failed to recruit British workers (by ensuring that the jobs are advertised and also made available to Job Centres), only then should they be permitted to recruit from overseas.

• From where I sit, nothing is certain at this time. We are in a completely unique situation. Nobody has ever left the EU before so there is no precedent to go by.

I am not sure why you find our position complicated. The unique situation was the withdrawal agreement. We have now left the EU, so we are now just an independent country wanting to negotiate a trading agreement, for which there are many precedents.

The position seems straight forward enough to me. All we are asking for is a Canada style agreement with the EU.

Barnier and his chums can shout as loudly as they like about not giving us a trade deal unless we succomb to their demands, but as I understand it, they cannot require us to accept a deal that is inferior to that offered to Canada under WTO rules.

https://www.wto.org/english/th…hatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

" Most-favoured-nation (MFN): treating other people equally Under the WTO agreements, countries cannot normally discriminate between their trading partners. Grant someone a special favour (such as a lower customs duty rate for one of their products) and you have to do the same for all other WTO members"

• "The Brexit COD War! MEPs warn Britain that EU fishermen must keep the same rights to fish in British waters as they have now or there will NEVER be a trade deal"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne…-fish-British-waters.html

Some hope! They are our fish. We are just reclaiming them from our pre-Common Market days. Why should we gift them our fish, exactly? We are no longer in the EU, so when the withdrawal agreement expires, we will take them back, thank you very much!.

• Some hope! They are our fish. We are just reclaiming them from our pre-Common Market days. Why should we gift them our fish, exactly? We are no longer in the EU, so when the withdrawal agreement expires, we will take them back, thank you very much!.

Out of the EU we won't have any power to stop them

One of the so called benefits of leaving the EU :(

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Out of the EU we won't have any power to stop them

Rubbish. Just get the fisheries protection vessels to arrest them if they trespass. There's always a shot across the bows.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Rubbish. Just get the fisheries protection vessels to arrest them if they trespass. There's always a shot across the bows.

With as many as 500 fishing ships in British waters at any one time, including dozens from other EU countries, it is acknowledged to be a very difficult task to patrol UK fishing grounds.

Ships: HMS Mersey · Tyne · Clyde · Forth · Me...

Size: 5 ships as of 2019 (Planned to increase to ...

Branch: Royal Navy

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Never the less once they are fishing illegally we are entitled to take ANY measures necessary to protect our sovereign waters. If that means sinking some then that's what it takes.

4312-gwban-gif

• Never the less once they are fishing illegally we are entitled to take ANY measures necessary to protect our sovereign waters. If that means sinking some then that's what it takes.

Sorry, you are now being ridiculous

One sure way to start WW3 !

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out