Scotland will have to exit the EU with the UK.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.

David Mundell will tell Members of the Scottish Parliament that Scotland won’t be able to remain in the bloc, even if it holds a second referendum on independence.

He will tell Holyrood’s Culture, Tourism, Europe and External Relations Committee tomorrow that there are no “easy assumptions” of how long it could take Scotland to rejoin the EU if it opts to become independent.

“There is no set of circumstances in which Scotland could remain a member of the EU after the rest of the UK has left,” he will say.

And he will add that Scotland would have to re-apply to become a member after the EU leaves, and Scotland leaves the UK.

Source

Sturgeon's not going to like that.

• I was talking about this on The Times Online last night.

As I said there, I'm not a lawyer but it depends on how Scottish independence, were it to occur, actually happens.

If Scotland were to leave the UK, then Scotland would have to apply for EU membership as a new member. That's clear in EU rules. But a bit like the break up of Czechoslovakia, if the UK were to split into two, that's an entirely different matter.

If England, Wales and Northern Ireland agreed that the UK was splitting into two countries, one the old UK and the other being Scotland. Scotland could then keep its EU membership as it would retain all the benefits of UK's membership of the EU.

So, it depends on how things pan out.

• I'm a bit like the Icelandic Pirate Party in that I support Scottish independence. I am an English nationalist so obviously I support that too. The more compact and independent the better. Alliances are always open to negotiation. Big hefty tax thieving entities are anathema to the way I see humanity if humanity wants to retain at least some of its important diverse characteristics and cultures.

I know this isn't a popular view, but I stick with it because I don't like unions, I prefer alliances. Solidarity is strength, not unions. :D

• Independence doesn't separate people, it gives them something to live and work and fight for. The UK has always been something of a disunited kingdom on account of its history. It could still be in strong alliance among its nations.

This is very much against the ideology of the left that hates identity and Independence and strives for universalism and global control.

I am personally against the very core of leftist ideology in that respect. Many have been frightened into wanting to whoosh themselves into one. This has roots in world religions. It's going to be one of the big struggles of the twenty-first century - keeping one's identity when all around are being asked (cajoled and threatened) into giving that up.

Once you've given up your identity, you have lost your ancestors and become the servant of the will of the universal controllers.

You have to ask yourself if that is worth doing because once done ...

• Given that for Scotland to remain in the EU with the same terms as the UK now would require all the other EU nations to approve. I can't see that happening. Spain at least would object as making a special case for Scotland would fuel Catalan independence claims.

• Heero, Yep, but as I said in my earlier post if the UK (all of us) agreed to split into two separate countries, then Scotland wouldn't need to apply for membership of the EU as a new country because it would already be a member of an existing, if changed, country.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!