New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't think bird flu effect was as serious as the Asian flu of the 50s

I actually caught that and was bed ridden for nearly a week with doctor visiting every day, they did in those days

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51171035

Could this be the new bird flu? It's already spread to other countries outside China.

It could be. Let's hope spring arrives before it can take hold in the rest of the world, but I guess that only puts it off until next winter.

Hopefully, Asian countries will start managing their animals better as a result of all this, to avoid these infections from starting in the first place. It's bad hygene that causes these diseases - they need to learn the lesson before anything worse is unleashed in the future.

• It could be. Let's hope spring arrives before it can take hold in the rest of the world, but I guess that only puts it off until next winter.

Hopefully, Asian countries will start managing their animals better as a result of all this, to avoid these infections from starting in the first place. It's bad hygene that causes these diseases - they need to learn the lesson before anything worse is unleashed in the future.

I agree their bad hygiene is the cause here, but lets worry about this virus first, before anything else.

Hundreds of millions of Chinese are moving around as they celebrate the Chinese New Year spreading this everywhere. If it's already spread to other Asian countries, it can only be a matter of time before it spreads here.

• Beijing (CNN)A mysterious respiratory virus that has killed at least three people and sickened more than 200 in China can be transmitted between humans, a Chinese government-appointed expert has said, fueling fears about the possibility of a deadly epidemic as millions prepare to travel for the Lunar New Year holiday.

Zhong Nanshan, head of the team set up by China's National Health Commission to investigate the pneumonia-like virus, confirmed that at least two cases had been spread from person to person and medical staff had also been infected.

Authorities had previously said that the new strain of coronavirus, which was traced by health officials to a seafood market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, was primarily passed from animals to humans.

But at least two people have become infected in recent days, despite living hundreds of miles from Wuhan.

This confirmation of human to human infection means it's now a whole new ball game and has potential to spread like wildfire.

• Your normal flu/cold like symptoms. Which begs the question, if loads of Chinese people coming off planes are coughing, do they all get stopped?

Or is it just bad colds

I have people around here who have been off work for a couple of days with "pneumonia"

You do not recover from pneumonia in a couple of days

• I wonder if the virus spreads here if the NHS could cope

Last Friday I dropped a urine sample into my surgery for testing. Today the surgery phoned, "Nothing to worry about but a doctor would like to call you to discuss the result" "Ok, I'll be in all this afternoon"

"Oh no, I want to make an appointment for him to call, would next Wednesday be convenient"

This is what the NHS has come to

• Breaking:

So they landed in London and have been who knows where and ended up in a Glasgow hospital.

If they have the virus it'll be running rampant soon.

Time to get those surgical masks on.=O

• I wonder if the virus spreads here if the NHS could cope

Last Friday I dropped a urine sample into my surgery for testing. Today the surgery phoned, "Nothing to worry about but a doctor would like to call you to discuss the result" "Ok, I'll be in all this afternoon"

"Oh no, I want to make an appointment for him to call, would next Wednesday be convenient"

This is what the NHS has come to

Yes, I'm afraid 'our precious NHS' really isn't up to it. I hear horror stories all the time from people with experience of using the service. I don't know why peoplerate it so highly.

It is free, that's the only good thing I can say about it.

Most of the doctors and consultants are excellent, but many nurses are lazy and spend too much time huddled in groups rather than tending to patients who need them, and the administration is appalling.

Boris needs to sort it out. Let's have a Royal Commission and deal with these problems before the whole service collapses.

• Is it any wonder weird diseases are found in China

Warning - this video contains revolting images

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7…rus-animal.html

She's doing her Ozzie Osborne impression :D Thanks for the warning not that anything will ever bother me but credit where credit is due and I thought that was a very courteous thing to do. :thumbup:

Time to get those surgical masks on.

Thankfully many Asians, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese etc do wear 3M masks over here all the time. It seems to be a common habit of theirs because of pollution. Don't leave home without their mask and mobile phone. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind catching a small bit of this flu so I can build up my bodies immunity to the next major outbreak of something nasty. I'm lucky I have good immune system anyway but it can't do any harm to prepare for whatever comes next. We need to build up resistance to these things.

• Thankfully many Asians, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese etc do wear 3M masks over here all the time. It seems to be a common habit of theirs because of pollution. Don't leave home without their mask and mobile phone. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind catching a small bit of this flu so I can build up my bodies immunity to the next major outbreak of something nasty. I'm lucky I have good immune system anyway but it can't do any harm to prepare for whatever comes next. We need to build up resistance to these things.

On TV the population of Japan always seem to be wearing masks, must be a nice little earner for somebody

• We should all start wearing masks. The other benefit would be that facial recognition would not work. Give it a few decades and maybe people wont be able to leave home without an air supply and we might look like an astronaut. Our environment is becoming more and more hostile. Instead of putting money in a machine to pay for charging or parking a car, put money in a machine to refill oxygen tanks.

• I've been boffing up on this in one of my professional journals (sorry, can't link to it because I have hard copy and in any case, if I put up the online version the paywall would stop you seeing the article)

A cluster of pneumonia cases with unknown cause occurred in Wuhan in December. As of January 20, a total of 201 cases of this Coronavirus have been confirmed.

A phylogenetic (don't ask) analysis has been conducted and through a combination of Sanger sequencing, Illumina sequencing and Nanopore sequencing, three distinct strains have been identified. The virus has been formally named novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP). I'm sure the papers will come up with another name that trips off the tongue more easily.  

The origin of NCIP is still being investigated. Current evidence points to wild animals being sold illegally into the Huanan seafood market in China.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!