New Chinese virus spreads

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The incubation period is two weeks. We would know by now if anyone arriving in the UK before 26 January had contracted the virus.

As it's flu season OB, I don't see how the average person would be able to tell the difference between normal colds and flu and this virus, until it was too late. Luckily, this appears to be a mild strain.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The incubation period is two weeks. We would know by now if anyone arriving in the UK before 26 January had contracted the virus.

How do you know that?

• Are you over 55, do you eat a lot of seafood or have long term exposure to it, do already have a chronic pulmonary condition, disease or other long term health conditions. The majority of people that are affected by this are the same that would be more susceptible to the common flu more or less. Seafood is the only other factor. You could catch a common flu, end up with pneumonia and die. What's the difference. It's slightly more potent and aggressive flu if your unlucky enough to catch it. The odds are you wont catch it. You have to be in a pretty bad way to begin with. No point in closing down schools full of perfectly healthy children.

Of the 99 patients with 2019-nCoV pneumonia, 49 (49%) had a history of exposure to the Huanan seafood market. The average age of the patients was 55·5 years (SD 13·1), including 67 men and 32 women. 2019-nCoV was detected in all patients by real-time RT-PCR. 50 (51%) patients had chronic diseases. Patients had clinical manifestations of fever (82 [83%] patients), cough (81 [82%] patients), shortness of breath (31 [31%] patients), muscle ache (11 [11%] patients), confusion (nine [9%] patients), headache (eight [8%] patients), sore throat (five [5%] patients), rhinorrhoea (four [4%] patients), chest pain (two [2%] patients), diarrhoea (two [2%] patients), and nausea and vomiting (one [1%] patient). According to imaging examination, 74 (75%) patients showed bilateral pneumonia, 14 (14%) patients showed multiple mottling and ground-glass opacity, and one (1%) patient had pneumothorax. 17 (17%) patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and, among them, 11 (11%) patients worsened in a short period of time and died of multiple organ failure.

https://www.thelancet.com/jour…-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

Like most things the media want to make a mountain out of a molehill. The government are not that worried about it as they had coach drivers with no protective suits and masks on but they had others onboard with a protective suit to either help create more hysteria and make it look worse than what it is (nice distraction for other matters) or more likely to show face and that they are actually doing something to help reassure and calm the public down from the media pandemic. They even put the coach drivers into 2 week isolation as an extra precaution. None of them have caught anything but then they are not old and vulnerable as would anyone need to be more vulnerable to catch the common flu. All the government are doing is putting on a show to help calm the public and counteract the manipulative negativity and non factual stories they come out with. You have about as much chance of catching this as you do rabies.

• External Content www.bbc.co.uk
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Looks as it Boris is listening to me

"The UK government has declared coronavirus a "serious and imminent threat" to public health, as it announced new powers to fight its spread.

Under the measures, people can now be forcibly quarantined and will not be free to leave".

• HUNDREDS who came into contact with a Brit coronavirus "superspreader" on a packed easyJet flight are being hunted after he is already feared to infected at least seven people.

The middle-aged businessman contracted the deadly virus while at a conference in Singapore and is now said to be at the centre of a web of cases across the UK, Spain and France.

This individual seems to be the sole source for all the cases so far. Most seem to have stayed with him in the same ski chalet in France.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• This individual seems to be the sole source for all the cases so far. Most seem to have stayed with him in the same ski chalet in France.

So, someone came back from China or was in contact with a Chinese person and then decided to go skiing. How thoughtful of them.:rolleyes:

Under the measures, people can now be forcibly quarantined and will not be free to leave".

Roll on the police state, but under the circumstances, a necessary measure.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Roll on the police state

Wait until some dangerously quiet sadist advises the you are in need of "treatment":evil:

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Four more, the domino effect applies

At least the Doolittle government says they are starting to do something

External Content www.bbc.co.uk
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Four more, the domino effect applies

At least the Doolittle government says they are starting to do something

Well, if you are going to advocate a mad panic so the government confines us all to our houses for three weeks, let us know on here so I can organise my Sainsbury's delivery.

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• Well, if you are going to advocate a mad panic so the government confines us all to our houses for three weeks, let us know on here so I can organise my Sainsbury's delivery.

You call it a "mad panic". I call it sensible precautions

People these days regularly travel worldwide, very easy to spread a contagious disease- one sneeze or cough and you infect those around you.The domino effect

BTW You might be lucky that there are still workers at Sainsbury to organise your delivery

• In the meantime thousands phone in sick with "normal" flu every day but we must not upset the economy. Its hogwash. Just wait for the next silly story... BBC.... "Ant n Dec in relationship with Philip Schofield" ... "Graham Norton COMES OUT as straight".

• Breaking:

Glad we're upwind from Brighton.

4312-gwban-gif

• So if you were in charge you'd lock us all up in our homes on the basis of less than half a dozen cases? Talk about panicking!

• So if you were in charge you'd lock us all up in our homes on the basis of less than half a dozen cases? Talk about panicking!

Thank goodness others are taking action at last. a bit late but better late than never

Your do nothing attitude is allowing the virus to spread

• Thank goodness others are taking action at last. a bit late but better late than never

Your do nothing attitude is allowing the virus to spread

Except that we are doing something. Locking people in their homes is far too extreme. If that's what you're advocating, I can't think of a more extreme position to take.

• Police 'wearing hazmat suits' will be able to HANDCUFF suspected coronavirus patients and force them back into quarantine: Tough new laws after a patient tried to 'BREAK OUT' from Arrowe Park and total UK infected DOUBLES to eight

• Health Secretary Matt Hancock says coronavirus is 'serious and imminent threat' to the British public
    • The announcement will give the government powers to forcibly quarantine victims
    • Powers are brought in after a Briton staying at Arrowe Park hospital tried to flee before his isolation ended
    • It comes as there are now eight confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the UK, five of whom are linked
    • Do you know the patient who threatened to leave Arrowe Park? Email ed.riley@mailonline.co.uk or sam.blanchard@mailonline.co.uk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne…hreat-British-public.html

• They've got cases in the EU as well from the contacts in the French skiing chalet but nothing draconian is happening over there either. The current course of action in tracing all possible contacts of the "carrier" and checking on them plus the advice for those who could have been contacts to stay away from others for the incubation period is IMO the correct one.

Locking down the whole of the UK would be extremely damaging to business and the social services including the NHS. The chinese economy is also taking a serious hit. It used to be said that when the USA sneezed, the rest of the world caught a cold. It's now more appropriate for China sneezing.

4312-gwban-gif

• They've got cases in the EU as well from the contacts in the French skiing chalet but nothing draconian is happening over there either

France has closed all schools

• France has closed all schools

Incorrect. France has closed only 3 schools all of which have a directly tracable path back to the skiing chalet via the nine year old son of the chalet owner both of whome have tested positive.

A similar action has been done in the UK:

A Southampton school was evacuated yesterday after pupils who previously went to South East Asia developed symptoms.

Full details on link above.

4312-gwban-gif

• Incorrect. France has closed only 3 schools all of which have a directly tracable path back to the skiing chalet via the nine year old son of the chalet owner both of whome have tested positive.

Correct, the original report said that all would close. Fake news :rolleyes:

• Fake news

There's a lot of it about.

One of my regular clients is based in Bevendean. Good thing I'm not actually doing anything for them at the moment that would necessitate a site visit.8|

4312-gwban-gif

• A healthcare worker at Worthing Hospital is among the eight confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK.

Staff at the West Sussex hospital received a memo on Tuesday telling them a member of staff working in the A&E department had been diagnosed with the disease.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health said that all services at the hospital, including surgery and out patients, are operating normally.

It is understood the healthcare worker at Worthing Hospital is not the same person as the locum doctor working in Brighton, who is also one of the eight cases.

YIKES!! The plague's in town. 8|

That hospital is only just down the road from us.

Probably a coincidence but Monday afternoon sitting outside Sainsbury's was somebody all muffled up and wearing a face mask.:/

4312-gwban-gif

• YIKES!! The plague's in town. 8|

That hospital is only just down the road from us.

Probably a coincidence but Monday afternoon sitting outside Sainsbury's was somebody all muffled up and wearing a face mask.:/

I cover my mouth with a scarf when we go out, primarily to keep warm but also now as a barrier

"Killer coronavirus is 'the worst enemy you can ever imagine' and may pose a greater global threat than terrorism, World Health Organisation warns"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/he…h-Organisation-warns.html

• I cover my mouth with a scarf when we go out, primarily to keep warm but also now as a barrier

I think you'll find that to keep viri out you'll need something with a much finer mesh. These things are really tiny.

4312-gwban-gif

• 900,000. People in China have Tuberculosis. 2017 report from Center Disease Control China.

95 reported deaths thus far from Corona Virus.

• I suppose we should pause and reflect that nobody in the UK or Europe has died from this virus, in fact those infected have recovered. Maybe they can help develop a vaccine

• External Content youtu.be

• External Content youtu.be