New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • So did my son, it turned him into a screaming lefty snowflake

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• 100'000+ people have now died in Britain after providing a positive test for Covid 19. This is the third highest fatality rates per 100'000 of population in the world.

UK Coronavirus Deaths Pass 100'000

Snip

Christina Pagel, a professor of operational research at University College London and also a member of Independent Sage, said that with deaths lagging infections by three to four weeks, the death toll would rise further.

“I could say it’s shocking that [the] UK has [the] worst death toll in Europe*, or we could have prevented this with earlier measures in September or October, and it would be true,” she said. But this had been true for weeks, she added, and scientists had repeatedly stressed the gravity of rising infections. “Scientists were saying it all December, warning that deaths would go up after Christmas.”

desktop.jpg

Yesterday alone recorded more than 1'500 deaths, a new one - day record for this pandemic.

Far from getting to grips with the problem, it seems to be getting worse. The reasons for this are many and varied, but all of them lead back to one source: Government incompetence.

*Please note the chart above is by 100'000 of population. The comment that refers to Britain as having "The worst death toll in Europe" is by number of deaths. Italy has a smaller population and therefore has more deaths per 100'000, but has had some 20'000 fewer actual fatalities (79'182 at today's figures).

• Actually the deaths are 83000. That said, the vast majority died with the disease, rather than of it. That's to say, if a 100 year old man jumps in front of a bus, and is then tested for covid and it proves positive, it's a covid death. Different countries have different criteria, and Spain/Italy don't include care home deaths. Whilst you are hell bent on slagging off the government, perhaps you should congratulate them on giving the most generous financial care packages in the entire WORLD. You should also give them a pat on the back for getting more people vaccinated to date than the rest of Europe added together. That said, the allowing of people to get together over Christmas was daft, but NI, Wales, and Scotland also joined in with the madness.

LOL. Like a circuit breaker in September would really have made a difference. After two weeks we would have opened back up and the virus would simply have run wild. Lockdowns just press the pause button, they don't do anything else. If people behaved sensibly then perhaps we would have less deaths, so perhaps it's not the rules that matter, it's the behaviour and common sense of the public.

Unfortunately we are following suit with other countries, and vaccinating people in the wrong order. We should be looking after the work force and vaccinating those who are most likely to spread it. The old and those in care homes can isolate with effort.

Finally. If 1000 people died every day of covid, it would still take over 30 years for the country to have a population it could deal with.

• What, the same ‘incompetent’ government who had the foresight to invest in and order sufficient vaccines for the whole population and intends to have all vulnerable groups vaccinated by mid- February; who have managed to be the first in the whole of the EU and most of the world in getting that vaccine into people’s arms and is well ahead of the game in its inoculation programme?

No government in the world has got everything right in dealing with a virus that only became known about in this part of the world this time last year, and the death toll is not a reliable measure of competence because every country has different methods of recording; different numbers and densities of population; different levels of immigration; and crucially, there is that little uncomfortable fact that the virus is still out there. So without the brilliant vaccination programme that we now have in this country, how much further will the death toll climb in other countries before the deaths are brought to a halt? A comparison at that point would be more appropriate, but a way must be found to compare figures on an equivalent basis.

Like everything, it seems, you are far too quick to jump to judgement. It may yet be found that Britain was pretty well managed during the pandemic when all is said and done. We need to wait and see.

• Bigger high st pharmacies like Boots are being considered for vaccine rollout now and there's talk of supping all the smaller local pharmacies which are being called the little ship like in Dunkirk WFT is wrong with these people LOL IOt good job that ll those war heroes are dead now. How disrespectful insulting to use them as a comparison.

You just can't wait to slag off the government,

Well they are murderous genocidal bastards. While we are on the war analogies shall we call the care homes gas chambers. You will be pleased to know that the same is happening again all over Sussex with deaths in care homes. Governments should not get to decide who lives and dies especially when one can be a tory supporter and buy their way out of a death camp. Travel has not been restricted and enforced so now the IOW and the Isles of Scilly have large COVID outbreaks as they where left as tier one when they should not have been. So was it OK for those that lived on the Isle of Wight to take a ferry across to the higher tier mainland to work and back or for folk to pop over to the IOW so they could go to the pub FFS. I suppose it was all OK as long as paying the ferry some money. If I was the PM I would shut down everything including the supermarkets and have the Army hand out supplies of 24h ratpacks on a daily basis and at the same time they can assure nobody is outside their house who should not be. All borders would be locked tight no in or out for anyone outside of cargo planes bringing in emergency supplies and those would not be commercial airliners but the RAF doing their bit.

• We have vaccinated very few people because one injection does not class as being vaccinated. They are playing with numbers again like they did with the PPE gloves and test and trace swab tests. It's bollox. There are no guarantees that with the long waiting time to be fully vaccinated with 2nd injection that it will be enough and they know it hence why BoJos dad has had the two injections. By that stage the vaccine could be like 50% immunity instead of 90% and now we have the South African strain over here. There are about 20 reported cases in the south. So lets see where we are in a months time. Basically the gov are well on the path to fu***ing up the vaccine programme as their next success. I bet they writing out all their excuses already or they will set rules up that will be broken because or confused mixed messaging so they can pass the blame on and cover themselves.

Anyway for a bit of light heartedness at the BBC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9…ces-office.html

37728436-9121867-image-a-62-1610035506577.jpg

• Bigger high st pharmacies like Boots are being considered for vaccine rollout now and there's talk of supping all the smaller local pharmacies

Should have been doing it this way right from start, as for all the sound bite tabloid daft headline nonsense of comparing it to this that or the other best to ignore all that and just get the job in hand done, I'm certainly not going to waste my thoughts on it other than that.

• Bigger high st pharmacies like Boots are being considered for vaccine rollout now and there's talk of supping all the smaller local pharmacies which are being called the little ship like in Dunkirk WFT is wrong with these people LOL IOt good job that ll those war heroes are dead now. How disrespectful insulting to use them as a comparison.

Well they are murderous genocidal bastards. While we are on the war analogies shall we call the care homes gas chambers. You will be pleased to know that the same is happening again all over Sussex with deaths in care homes. Governments should not get to decide who lives and dies especially when one can be a tory supporter and buy their way out of a death camp. Travel has not been restricted and enforced so now the IOW and the Isles of Scilly have large COVID outbreaks as they where left as tier one when they should not have been. So was it OK for those that lived on the Isle of Wight to take a ferry across to the higher tier mainland to work and back or for folk to pop over to the IOW so they could go to the pub FFS. I suppose it was all OK as long as paying the ferry some money. If I was the PM I would shut down everything including the supermarkets and have the Army hand out supplies of 24h ratpacks on a daily basis and at the same time they can assure nobody is outside their house who should not be. All borders would be locked tight no in or out for anyone outside of cargo planes bringing in emergency supplies and those would not be commercial airliners but the RAF doing their bit.

You appear happy to take all responsibility away from the individual. Because we are allowed to do things, doesn't mean we should. Your ideas are quite bazaar. Infections aren't coming through the lack of further restrictions. How many people do you think are dying as a result of click and collect, let alone picking up a take away. Almost all the infections are through entering each others homes. I can look out my window now, and guarantee you that I will witness half dozen people breaking the rules by the end of the day. Do you honestly think that a young couple who are in love won't meet up for six weeks, and do you think kids won't play with their friends. The scenarios are endless. Finally, do you really think the army could actually distribute food to the entire nation, and how why wouldn't they be isolating anyway?

As you may know, I am a great advocate of euthanising people of a given age, early 70s preferably. They cost the country a fortune and serve very little purpose. If we had of done this the death toll from Covid would have been almost nothing, and those who suffered from that awful disease would have had a quick and painless death.

• Should have been doing it this way right from start, as for all the sound bite tabloid daft headline nonsense of comparing it to this that or the other best to ignore all that and just get the job in hand done, I'm certainly not going to waste my thoughts on it other than that.

It's a very small piss in a very large ocean. The amount of people they can vaccinate is next to nothing.

• As you may know, I am a great advocate of euthanising people of a given age, early 70s preferably

Which is where you are coming from and why your such an advocate for BoJo and his cronies and their way of handling most of the crisis. I to am aware of the world population crisis and agree many need to die but that is not for us or any politicians to decide upon according to the persons financial and class status. It needs to be random selection according to how nature selects who lives and who dies but that's not to say that we should not do our best to give everyone a fighting chance of survival if they wish. We don't have to deliberately throw folk under the bus or have them face a firing squad.

So do you think when employers turn around to staff and tell them not to go on the sick if they show Flu and/or COVID symptoms, that's OK is it. And it's OK that they are telling staff to disable any track and trace app they may have running on their phone while at work, or face the consequences of unemployment or work life being made to feel so shite that your outcast and forced to walk. This is where the virus is spreading and in the schools and many other areas including the transport to and from work, not where someone decides to take their daily exercise or meet up with friends in the park. We have higher infection rates and higher death counts than before yet the lockdown is nowhere near as strict or as enforced as the first time around. Does that make any sense. The gov could easily pay all those workers to stay at home but 'oh no' they would rather feed their private corporate friends and donators so they can feed money back to their pockets, basically laundering taxpayers money. That's daylight robbery and is not going to help the country in any way. It's only helping themselves.

What we should be doing is strictly locking down like China did and instead of screwing up the vaccine programme playing games with the unknown and untested, instead take a bit longer and be more organised to give everyone the 2nd injection within the time frame passed by the regulators and those that done the trials. At the same time they should be sorting out a proper testing stations for immunity levels and also track n trace because the virus will still be out there spreading and TBH I would say it's most likely going to mutate to the point where the current vaccine becomes irrelevant because they screwed about with the dose. with all the infection still around we will end up back in the yo yo pattern of more lockdowns throughout the year and more than likely next year too the way things are going.

Yet Dr Ramsay’s comments before the parliamentary committee indicate that the UK Government is anticipating a scenario in which vaccines are not provided to the entire UK population – contradicting repeated claims by Prime Minister Boris Johnson and other senior Government officials that the vaccine will offer a game-changing pathway out of stringent lockdowns.

“We may need to accept that if the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission that we’re going to protect the people who are really vulnerable and are going to die and have serious disease, but we allow the disease to circulate in younger people where it’s not causing much harm,” said Dr Ramsay, who went on to compare COVID-19 to the flu:

It's public enquiry and hopefully justice being served after this is all over that I am looking forward too. BoJo and his cronies are criminals profiteering from COVID and stealing tax payers money at the same time of putting their pocket before the public's life. He should be put ion a cell in Wormwood Scrubs for the rest of his life. Actually no I shall take that back that's too nice a prison for him. Stick him in Wandsworth with some spice addicts.

And the corruption and laundering still continues with kids food packages.

• I agree with bits of that. Completely locking everything up costs a fortune and only delays the inevitable. As soon as we unlock things the virus just goes crazy. In other words, "pressing the pause button". You talk as if the government haven't invested, when in actual fact the support package they have given is the most generous in the WORLD. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. I believe the government have done many things right, and a few wrong. The fact is it doesn't matter what decision they make, there will be an opposition to it, and that is exactly the same in every country. Do you think there is a country anywhere in the world where it's inhabitants are applauding their every action. We have lost a disproportionate amount of people for varying reasons. Our population is far to big for our infrastructure, and that goes back to Blair allowing every one in, then following governments doing nothing about it. Our NHS has never had a chance to keep up, and endless amounts of money would not have been the answer. Our population is also very old, partly because we have a policy of keeping everyone alive as long as we possibly can. Finally, there has been civil disobedience. People have popping in and out of other peoples houses willy nilly with no respect to the rules. I agree with you, very few people have got covid from exercising outside with a friend, picking something up from Argos on a click and collect basis, and in actual fact there were almost no recorded infections from having a drink in a pub. Schools are a very difficult issue. Not only do we have to take into account a child's education, we need their parents out working to sustain the economy. That is a balance, and if you look at it objectively, there isn't an answer. A healthy economy and saving lives are not mutually exclusive, they are all one and the same thing, if not short term, certainly long term.

I think we have to accept there are no easy answers, and being armchair supporters doesn't mean we could do a better job.

• Finally they are doing what they should have done right from start, everyone entering UK has now got to be quarantined for 14 days, better late than never, hopefully it will be something that is kept in place once the threat of covid is no more too.

• Finally they are doing what they should have done right from start, everyone entering UK has now got to be quarantined for 14 days, better late than never, hopefully it will be something that is kept in place once the threat of covid is no more too.

My wife would agree with you, I don't. Yes, there is a time and point where you stop people entering the country, but for the majority of the time it has been pointless. If we have 2 million people in the country with covid, what difference will it make letting if another few come is? Now the virus has mutated it totally changes things, and the government has done the right thing closing the borders. Lucky we aren't in the EU, because of their stupid freedom of movement laws they are still allowing everyone to move around. Not that really is daft !

• My wife would agree with you, I don't. Yes, there is a time and point where you stop people entering the country, but for the majority of the time it has been pointless. If we have 2 million people in the country with covid, what difference will it make letting if another few come is? Now the virus has mutated it totally changes things, and the government has done the right thing closing the borders. Lucky we aren't in the EU, because of their stupid freedom of movement laws they are still allowing everyone to move around. Not that really is daft !

Yes, I would agree with that assessment. I know many have raised the issue of shutting down the borders or isolating people coming into the country, but frankly, given this is a world-wide problem which we also have here, it made little difference to us. Some countries had a higher rate of infection than us, others lower, so it balanced out.

As you say, the game-changer is the variant strains, and that is why action is being taken now.

• Massive increase in flights this week, It was only between the hours of 5 - 8am when we first went into this new lockdown now I'm hearing flights all day long though still not as busy as before the whole COVID thing started.

• Massive increase in flights this week, It was only between the hours of 5 - 8am when we first went into this new lockdown now I'm hearing flights all day long though still not as busy as before the whole COVID thing started.

They couldn't be cargo planes could they?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!