New Chinese virus spreads

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • It seems to me that there are a great many people who don't get the fact that our vaccination programme is our way out of this. People still say we will have to continue wearing masks and keeping our distance from each other even when everyone has had an opportunity to be vaccinated. Why can they not see that this will no longer be necessary?

We certainly do need to accept that we now have to live with this virus and treat it more as we treat the flu. In a bad flu year, 28,000 can die and nobody notices.

Once we have everyone vaccinated who wants to be vaccinated, there is no need for restrictions to continue in place, even on international travel, provided that there are no new dangerous strains for which the inoculations will not work.

At last, scientists are finally catching up with my way of thinking!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne…ive-people-control-lives/

Social distancing should be abolished in June to allow people "to take back control of their own lives", a letter signed by 22 leading scientists and academics says.

The open letter states that "a good society cannot be created by obsessive focus on a single cause of ill-health" and calls for all restrictions to be lifted on June 21 – the final date in Boris Johnson's roadmap out of lockdown.

Mass community testing is also unnecessary, say the signatories, who favour a more targeted approach along with encouraging hand-washing and surface cleaning.

They are also urging the Government to scrap vaccine passports as Covid "no longer requires exceptional measures of control in everyday life".

Ending social distancing restrictions would allow family members from different households to meet up inside and give many grandparents the opportunity to hug their grandchildren for the first time in months.

The scientists – from a broad range of specialities and all sides of the political spectrum – insist the "theoretical risk" of vaccine-immune strains or a new virus surge should not outweigh the harms caused by lockdown rules, including damage to children's education and the nation's mental health.

The scientists say face masks should not be mandatory come June 21 and that the recommendation of face coverings for schoolchildren should never have been extended after Easter. Calling for masks to be ended in classrooms by May 17, they warn that the damage to society will be too great if the current Covid control measures continue into the autumn.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The scientists say face masks should not be mandatory come June 21 and that the recommendation of face coverings for schoolchildren should never have been extended after Easter. Calling for masks to be ended in classrooms by May 17, they warn that the damage to society will be too great if the current Covid control measures continue into the autumn.

My wife looks far better with a face mask on, so pack it in ^^

• It has always been the case that herd immunity is the way to go and just accept the deaths. Darwin's way of dealing with a problem which makes things better in the long run. Those that survive will have a strong immune system to deal with any new strains or breeds of virus. Those people then breed and have kids and pass that naturally strong immune system on. That's how you build a stronger human race that moves along at the same pace as nature 'what's left of it' due to our destruction and greed. I can honestly say I have only ever put a face covering (snood) over my face a few times and that's only for the more strict places like supermarkets. Sometimes when I have forgotten I have just pull my t-shirt over my face. I don't even wear one for corner shops now and shop owners are not bothered. They are just happy for the business. I have never worn one outside and all those people wandering around with a mask on outside are complete paranoid and scared out of their wits loons from the propaganda and putting their life at risk by not building up a stronger immune system by taking onboard some germs like a child playing in the dirt. A strong immune system starts with genetics as a foundation and then as a child building on that by playing in dirt. It's the same propaganda that the scientists are up against now.

• I only wear a mask where you have to. Hate the damn things being a glasses wearer.

I got a pack of machine washable ones so at least I'm not adding to the mountain of waste these are generating.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• mountain of waste these are generating

This really pisses me off. Very few are considering the destruction of the environment for all these dumped disposable masks. In hospital theatres I can understand it but that is the only exception where extreme sterile environments are required. And to try a create one own sterile environment to protect themselves is more damaging than good. We need to take on germs to build up immunity. Germs can also be our friend if we learn to live with them.

• Over caution is killing more people than it is saving.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I agree wholeheartedly with Prof Dalgleish. We could do with more common sense like this. What are we waiting for? I thought we were being guided by the data!

• I think 100,000 plus dearhs in UK kind of suggests maybe we weren't cautious enough. 🤔

That was then. This is now.

Back then, we didn’t have a vaccine, and so lockdowns were not actually killing the virus. The numbers would come down until the lockdown was suspended, then it would come back again, wave after wave.

The immunisation programme has changed everything.

• That was then. This is now.

Back then, we didn’t have a vaccine, and so lockdowns were not actually killing the virus. The numbers would come down until the lockdown was suspended, then it would come back again, wave after wave.

The immunisation programme has changed everything.

I would tend to still err on the side of caution until everyone has all had their first dose and better still their second, would also be nice to get some clarity on whether a dose will be required every year like the winter flu jab, I would certainly not go for lifting of all restrictions on the 21st of June until everyone has had 2 doses of vaccine.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I think 100,000 plus dearhs in UK kind of suggests maybe we weren't cautious enough. 🤔

Not at all. Without the vaccine lock downs were only ever going to press the pause button. Open up at any stage, and wham. Let's not forget, we have a very dense and old population. We also have large Asian communities who live many to a house, and the compliance amongst the population has been pretty poor. There are also many thousands of people who live in the country we don't know about, and this may be a problem when it comes to the immunisation program. I haven't agreed with everything the government has done, but we all claim to be experts. In general they have done a decent job, and the polls indicate the general public would agree with me.

• Well I will still be social distancing and even mask wearing until I have had my second dose of vaccine, and I won't be going anywhere it is too crowded either.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Well I will still be social distancing and even mask wearing until I have had my second dose of vaccine, and I won't be going anywhere it is too crowded either.

That is fine as a personal choice, Ron, but there is no good reason for keeping this as a compulsory measure. Hospital admissions are at a low point, with no real prospect of a major increase now. Even after a fist dose, admission to hospital for Covid becomes unlikely after a few weeks.

The element of risk is now comparable to flu levels.

• They should just introduce the vaccine passports for everyone who has had the vaccine and then places where large groups of people congregate can only allow people who have them can be allowed in.

Me too.

Until most people have been vaccinated incl kids, then social distancing rules should remain. I don't agree with the "experts" who were quoted in that article that OB posted on Sunday. June is too soon to withdraw all rules.

• All I will say is look at the age groups of those people who were admitted to hospital with Covid. If you’ve got them vaccinated as well as those with underlying medical conditions that make them susceptible, how many are now likely to end up in hospital? Very few, and well within the NHS’s ability to cope.

• I thought we were being guided by the data!

There's one big problem with data. Data will only output according to what's input. If you don't like the result you input something else until you get the result you want. It's a bit like having multiple referendums LOL

• There's one big problem with data. Data will only output according to what's input. If you don't like the result you input something else until you get the result you want. It's a bit like having multiple referendums LOL

Ah, right..... ?(;)

• Yes it's obvious some will manipulate statistics and data to suit their own agenda, you see it a lot on forums like this for instance. Not pointing the the finger at anyone in particular.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!