New Chinese virus spreads

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.

• The clue here is in the name: The Scientific Advisory Group (you'd know it as SAGE) provides scientific and technical advice to support government decision makers during emergencies.

Providing advice. That's their job. They give best advice, after conducting any necessary research or experimentation, and reporting back to the Government according to the evidence.

I take it you're not a scientist of any stripe and have probably never worked in any scientific field. If you had, you'd have a different view of what SAGE does. But I reckon you're just another hard-right Tory who doesn't care a jot for facts or evidence. You just want to see something that will make your Party look good regardless of the reality of any given situation.

As for their advice being "right", I suggest SAGE have been right on numerable occasions, just not the sort of "right" the Government wants to hear. They want to hear "right" in terms of nice, party-friendly conclusions that they can go on the news with and bask in headlines that say how wonderful they are.

What they don't want to hear is "right" as in "accurate" if it says something they don't like the sound of.*

At the end of the day, SAGE gives advice to the Government. It's up to the Government to either take that advice or not take that advice. SAGE is not involved in the final decision.

It is the Government that is (or in a normal political climate, would be) accountable to the people for the decisions they take.

The Buck Stops Here: 10.jpg

What we are seeing though, is a Government that is terrified to make a decision that might not be very popular with voters, or may cast their previous decisions in a bad light if it transpires that Covid continues to get worse.

What this horrible regime is looking for is: a) Somebody to point the finger at as "doom mongers" to deflect attention away from their dithering and indecision, and; b) somebody to blame when it all goes horribly wrong rather than accept responsibility.

There is no political interference from SAGE. Just advice.

Or as one politician once said;

"Advisors advise, Government decides"

SAGE is delivering advice. Over to you, Government.

* We used to get a lot of that at the FSS. If the evidence didn't fit the suspect our work just HAD to be wrong.

• Pupils cleaning desks so it’s reassuring for cleaners?

When you put it like that it sounds completely nuts LOL or should I say when they put it like that. It just goes to show how much they care about their pupils when they are willing to put them at risk over the cleaners. Practically it will probably not be kids cleaning their own desk and they will either end up cleaning each others or a volunteer will be chosen to stay behind after class while the others make their way to the next class. Nice publicity stunt for them though. Could you imaging the chaos of trying to get all the pupils to clean their own desk. Most of them are most likely rich brats and have a cleaner at home to tidy up after them so don't even know the meaning of the word or feel it's above their duties.

• Some of my students like to wipe everything down before they use it. I don't think there is anything "Stark staring mad" about it. What's you're problem...? How does it affect you what happens in Independent girls schools...? (Or any schools, come to that). Are you personally affected by this or is it just more gammon faced outrage...??

(Heavy sigh: I know what will be coming in the end).......... Come on....... let's hear it....... It's "Woke" I suppose...? "Loony left", perhaps....? (Lefties in INDEPENDENT schools, no less ^^). Or is it all a part of some subversive plot by Jeremy Corbyn to brainwash the nation's schoolchildren...? Come on, OB. Get if off your chest.

I went to a GDST, rather than a GSA school. We had pretty strict rules there too and I'm going to check out with my old Alma Mater, through the Old Girls Association (of which I am a proud member) if they are doing anything similar during Covid. I know my former headmistress (yes, we called her that. She'd have been mortified to be thought of as a 'head teacher') would have taken Covid, and her responsibility to the ENTIRE school community, cleaners and all, very seriously.

You know....... cross-pollinating this thread with my response to your comments elsewhere about SAGE, this is another example of advisors advising and adminstrators acting on that advice. I suggest that in all probability, the head teacher in the case you're going all purple- faced about, took advice, weighed it up and came to a decision that she believes is the best option in the circumstances.

Which is what she's supposed to do.

I'm sure she would be prepared to stand by that decision and won't attempt to pass the buck if there is any fallout at a later date.

The people you admire so much would do well to follow her example.

PS....... in response to Norra's comment above (unlinked), actually, I don't have any difficulty in getting my students to clean their desks down, or any communal equipment that they use when they've finished with it. Do it often enough and it becomes just another part of the daily routine.

I set an example by always doing it myself (it isn't difficult and it doesn't take long) and my students respond to that.

You seem to have a very low opinion of young people.

• Oh my God, Jenny, you’ve totally missed the point of my post - 0/10 for you, my girl!

The thing I was pointing to that was absurd was expecting the children to clean their desks ‘to make the teachers and the cleaners 'more comfortable‘.

You can call it woke if you want to, but the decision makers at that school appear to be plain bonkers.

Maybe they should get the kids to clean the road outside their school so that the road sweepers feel more comfortable.

What an absolute load of tosh.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I agree, at least for the first few years. The virus may eventually die out, but nobody really knows at this point in time.

Bill Gates predicted the virus before it happened, and said it would die after about 5 years. That isn't to say he is right, but he got the first bit right though

• I agree, at least for the first few years. The virus may eventually die out, but nobody really knows at this point in time.

The deadly outbreak of Spanish flu in 1918 took over two years to burn itself out. I suspect that covid will also do the same but over what time period is somewhat mute especially with the levels of international travel these days compared to 1918.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Pupils cleaning desks so it’s reassuring for cleaners? Are these people stark, staring mad? There is no sense of proportion coming from these people where Covid is concerned.

But infections are rising again OB, so as much caution as possible is needed, is it not??

• But infections are rising again OB, so as much caution as possible is needed, is it not??

Absolutely not. The best way for the virus to burn it's self out is to infect as many people as possible. If we are double jabbed and get the virus, it is unlikely we will get particularly ill. Being careful is the last thing we should do

• But infections are rising again OB, so as much caution as possible is needed, is it not??

No, Horizon, I agree with Bibbles on this. It is not surprising that infections are rising, and they will rise a lot more, I think, but now we are more than 80% double-jabbed, this is no longer so significant. Hospital admissions remain low, and that is the figure to watch.

As Bibbles says, the more people who are infected, the more immunity builds up in the population. The immunity you get from the infection is many times more effective than the vaccination.

Because young people are such social beings, I suspect that these are the main passers-on of the infections.

You mustn’t forget that these positive tests are so numerous because people are trying to establish whether they have contracted the infection through contact with others. Most will not have realised that they have actually picked it up at all.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Absolutely not. The best way for the virus to burn it's self out is to infect as many people as possible. If we are double jabbed and get the virus, it is unlikely we will get particularly ill. Being careful is the last thing we should do

Depends on your age and health, Bibbles.

• There's rumours of there being a firebreak in October over the half term period, maybe a week or two either side of half term, the idea being that kids don't miss as much school. Déjà vu anyone.

When October half term 2021 is amid firebreak lockdown
    October half term dates after lockdown suggested
    www.liverpoolecho.co.uk

All I will say is don't go planning anything over Christmas. It's all been quiet for the Summer holidays and they have topped up the tax pot but it's about to kick off again. Don't forget they need an excuse to get vaccines into kids and a third round of boosters into adults. This is not over yet and my guess is it may go on until 2025 when the vaccine trials officially cease as per the leaked paper and patent site I posted a few months back in this thread. Saying that IIRC that was for the Pfizer vaccine. Yet again look what's happening in Israel if you want to predict what's going to happen here. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if another mutation appears on the scene. A new booster vaccine will fight against that. :whistling:

Then there's this....

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 Delta Variant Among Vaccinated Healthcare Workers, Vietnam

Source the Lancet

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 Delta Variant Among Vaccinated Healthcare Workers, Vietnam

And the BMJ

Covid-19: Fully vaccinated people can carry as much delta virus as unvaccinated people, data indicate

So it seems to me there is one side promoting the sales market of vaccines and using it to divide the public and conquer and restrict our freedoms, increase taxes etc and tighten the noose around our necks in the same way they use terrorism as an excuse and another side including professional bodies raising major concerns. There was even a report a while back saying how there is better immunity in the unvaccinated that catch COVID and build up antibodies. It seems to me all the vaccines are doing is leading us down the garden path and prolonging it. We're not even getting honest reports on the hospital cases and all we are being told is they are on the rise and it's mostly unvaccinated. Vaccinated elderly are dying again. I read something about care homes again somewhere a couple of weeks back. Could it be that they are only accepting unvaccinated into hospital and sending the others home or simply not counting them. Just tell one side of the story.

It's not about COVID it's about vaccines and the two are not directly related. We need to forget about vaccines and just get back to how we was before COVID and if you catch it and live then great but if you catch it and die then bad luck. Your age, genetics and natural health has a huge part to play in that as it does when we catch flu or anything else. We're being fed to much disinformation and propaganda to make any sensible decisions. Of course it's also possible that the government themselves are also being fed to much disinformation and propaganda to make a sensible decision but personally I think all they see is money. Capitalism rules at the end of the day.

• On the other hand, less than 1% of people who have died of Covid since the start of the year, have been fully vaccinated. Makes you think!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!