New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Overall it has been fairly flat despite the colder weather when you would expect another surge. This is because of our vaccination rate.

Compare that to the countries of concern with low vaccination rates.

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F67cd38d0-487c-11ec-9d34-23b0e77dfcd3-standard.png?dpr=1&fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700

Definitely an upward trajectory going on here. The uptick in cases seems disproportionately large. I could only speculate but the reason for this could be a combination of many things rather than a single smoking gun and it likely is so. The data for unvaccinated hospitalisations isn’t presented here so I cannot comment. It would be interesting to see the split. There may be some indications here that the effects of the first jabs are wearing off in combination with unvaccinated getting infected. Again pure speculation on my part. We also don’t know the ages involved so cannot determine or any pattern from the data.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Definitely an upward trajectory going on here. The uptick in cases seems disproportionately large. I could only speculate but the reason for this could be a combination of many things rather than a single smoking gun and it likely is so. The data for unvaccinated hospitalisations isn’t presented here so I cannot comment. It would be interesting to see the split. There may be some indications here that the effects of the first jabs are wearing off in combination with unvaccinated getting infected. Again pure speculation on my part. We also don’t know the ages involved so cannot determine or any pattern from the data.

I agree there will be multiple conditions, but primarily it will be behavioural changes due to weather, cold weather encouraging the virus etc.
    But all these conditions are mitigated or exacerbated by the numbers vaccinated.

As for the split between vaccinated and non vaccinated in hospital. I think it will show proportionally (percentage wise) there will be a higher number unvaccinated, however the numbers of vaccinated are also a reflection of those unvaccinated with their far higher virus load.

Certainly it has been mentioned that there is an unfortunate alignment with winter and when folks had their first jab. One of the issues is a poor take up in second jabs.

• I don't think I would be in favour of forced inoculation but would approve of needing to show evidence that you have been properly vaccinated in order to visit the vulnerable or in crowded venues. It would need to be something that cannot be forged or an app that could be hacked.

A coercive approach rather than authoritarian.

Agree.

If the stupid and ignorant don't want to get jabbed, that's their business, but they don't have a right to risk the rest of us with their ignorance and they should be limited in what they can do until this pandemic is over.

• Agree.

If the stupid and ignorant don't want to get jabbed, that's their business, but they don't have a right to risk the rest of us with their ignorance and they should be limited in what they can do until this pandemic is over.

The best evidence you can have is proof of a negative test. As you know you can still catch, spread and get seriously ill even when vaccinated. An unvaccinated person with a negative test is by definition safer than an untested vaccinated person.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I agree there will be multiple conditions, but primarily it will be behavioural changes due to weather, cold weather encouraging the virus etc.
    But all these conditions are mitigated or exacerbated by the numbers vaccinated.

As for the split between vaccinated and non vaccinated in hospital. I think it will show proportionally (percentage wise) there will be a higher number unvaccinated, however the numbers of vaccinated are also a reflection of those unvaccinated with their far higher virus load.

Certainly it has been mentioned that there is an unfortunate alignment with winter and when folks had their first jab. One of the issues is a poor take up in second jabs.

If the vaccinated are less likely to catch it and less likely to get ill enough to need hospital then logic dictates that it will be mostly the unvaccinated laying in hospital. You may be right in what you say but the data is not readily available which is on itself intriguing 🤔

• Not many have died or gotten seriously ill who have been double jabbed though, Armigate. It's only because the vaccine has been wearing off, that more people have got ill. Every 9/10 people who has died or been in serious trouble, has been unvaccinated.

• Not many have died or gotten seriously ill who have been double jabbed though, Armigate. It's only because the vaccine has been wearing off, that more people have got ill. Every 9/10 people who has died or been in serious trouble, has been unvaccinated.

I’ve been looking for data that compares cases, hospitalisation and deaths in a split between the vaccinated and unvaccinated. It would be a very useful piece of information.

• The best evidence you can have is proof of a negative test. As you know you can still catch, spread and get seriously ill even when vaccinated. An unvaccinated person with a negative test is by definition safer than an untested vaccinated person.

Our employees test twice every week, yet still every weekend we have 7 to 10 calling in saying they have tested positive. Negative on Thursday, positive Saturday morning.

• Well, a quick search on Google for "how many people who have died from covid who were vaccinated" gave me this as the first result:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulati…24september2021

Good man H, lots of info to chew over now.

First impression is that by creating a data set based on Age-standardised mortality rates the very thing that would be useful to know has been obscured. This method fails to provide the mortality rates for each age group and by using maths and statistical theories creates an amalgam which sort of hides the key data.

We know the elderly are most vulnerable. We know the average age of covid death is 82. I believe but need to check but the total number of covid deaths for all groups under the age of 60 is actually very small (maybe less than 1000). So with that being the case the vaccine is protecting the vulnerable and elderly but doesn’t have significant impact for under 60’s in terms of preventing death. This is not to be confused with infections or hospitalisation which remain unknown as not covered in this data 🤨.

I sometimes think that saying “there’s lies, damn lies and then there are statistics “ didn’t come about by accident.

I’ll spend some more time wading through this lot and see what I can glean that is relatable real world info but I fear the numbers have been buggered on purpose.

• I sometimes think that saying “there’s lies, damn lies and then there are statistics “ didn’t come about by accident.

I’ll spend some more time wading through this lot and see what I can glean that is relatable real world info but I fear the numbers have been buggered on purpose.

So true.

I was only saying to Mrs Zany this morning , I wish the BBC would stop selecting information that supports their agenda and just explain to people the nuances and facts.

• Our employees test twice every week, yet still every weekend we have 7 to 10 calling in saying they have tested positive. Negative on Thursday, positive Saturday morning.

And are they vaccinated?

• The problem with numbers in statistics is that they only equate to the data fed into them which can be cherry picked. This works on both sides of the argument. Anyway COVID is nothing compared to what's coming around the corner. I don't understand what anyone is really panicking about when we have a global environmental crisis upon us and were not doing anything serious about that. It will potentially wipe us all out. The fact is we are helping it by keeping more people alive using up the Earths resources. Advances in medicine is one of things that has brought the problem upon us. Nothing short of a world war and 100's of millions dying is going to save us. We need to get the worlds population numbers down to levels similar to what they where before the industrial revolution which is where it skyrocketed and brought all the worlds problems we now face or maybe those numbers have been cherry picked too. The true heroes are those that have died of COVID because they have saved the life of someone else who can now have the resources they would have otherwise used up. Life on Earth as a whole needs to heal and regenerate in a more balanced way. As things stand we are tipping the balance in favour of nature taking us out one way or another. COVID is like a little taster of what's to come. Nature is just toying with us at the moment. Ask Noah what nature is capable of.

• The problem with numbers in statistics is that they only equate to the data fed into them which can be cherry picked. This works on both sides of the argument. Anyway COVID is nothing compared to what's coming around the corner. I don't understand what anyone is really panicking about when we have a global environmental crisis upon us and were not doing anything serious about that. It will potentially wipe us all out. The fact is we are helping it by keeping more people alive using up the Earths resources. Advances in medicine is one of things that has brought the problem upon us. Nothing short of a world war and 100's of millions dying is going to save us. We need to get the worlds population numbers down to levels similar to what they where before the industrial revolution which is where it skyrocketed and brought all the worlds problems we now face or maybe those numbers have been cherry picked too. The true heroes are those that have died of COVID because they have saved the life of someone else who can now have the resources they would have otherwise used up. Life on Earth as a whole needs to heal and regenerate in a more balanced way. As things stand we are tipping the balance in favour of nature taking us out one way or another. COVID is like a little taster of what's to come. Nature is just toying with us at the moment. Ask Noah what nature is capable of.

One of the things people do not realise is that there is no upper limit for global temperature.

• A rise in temperature in Central Scotland would be welcomed. It's bloody freezing this morning. Ice on the cars and the greenhouse. It's every bit as cold as any previous November. I've seen absolutely no evidence of Global warming. ---- Seems like a marketing ploy for entrepreneurs flogging their " Green" technology.

The Voice of Reason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!