New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Yes, and what is the difference between going for a walk and social distancing, or going for a walk and hitting a golf ball while social distancing. I honestly believe it has got to stage where we mustn't be seen to be enjoying ourselves.

Yes, I agree, Maybe this should be part of the relaxation measures introduced when the virus is clearly past its peak. I doubt this would make much difference to the figures, to be honest.

• Well Boris wont be running things now as ICU is like code for being sedated and on a breathing machine with this virus. We will probably find out in 48H or so that he's died...well if it was anyone else. He will have the top medical staff and all the top equipment looking after him. If he does show signs of consciousness and less delirium, maybe he can set up comms form St Thomas's across the Thames to Parliament.

serveimage.jpg

• Well Boris wont be running things now as ICU is like code for being sedated and on a breathing machine with this virus. We will probably find out in 48H or so that he's died...well if it was anyone else. He will have the top medical staff and all the top equipment looking after him. If he does show signs of consciousness and less delirium, maybe he can set up comms form St Thomas's across the Thames to Parliament.

serveimage.jpg

You could be right

Raab was very evasive at the teatime press briefing refusing to be drawn on how Johnson is other than repeating that he spoke to him on Saturday - "Where is the will"

• TO THE MODERATORS WHO MAY READ THIS POST:

I am aware that I am going "off topic" here. However, after such a ridiculous personal attack as the message linked to above, I believe I have the right of reply. I don't care if you take both our messages down. In fact, I would prefer it if you did. But remember when you're dishing out the bans, that I am only responding in kind, in self-defence to a wholly unwarranted and unnecessary personal assault.

When treated in this way I WILL respond to defend my argument and / or myself.

For somebody with such a distorted and warped line of thinking your smug, self-aggrandising babble takes the biscuit. I've seen a lot of ego driven self promotion on various discussion forums but you'd make Narcissus throw his mirror away . Wow, do you love yourself.

I think it is you who are the one who doesn't like being challenged on anything and are resorting to blather to try to flannel yourself to some sort of ego-driven "victory" by means of "Bullshit Baffles Brains". You make the most ridiculous comparisons in an attempt to distort the meaning of comments of mine, say, "Eugenics became an evil label thanks to Nazi Germany) by indulging logical fallacy, in this case, the Genetic Fallacy: Which is one where your conclusion is based on an argument that the origins of an idea determine its character, nature or worth. eg: The VW Beetle is a bad car because it was originally designed by Hitler's army. A ridiculous thing to argue, but in effect, its no different to what you argue.

I've spotted a number of logical fallacies in your diatribe. Ad Hominem*, Ad Populem (the bandwagon appeal), Red Herring and Strawman to list just a few. Your message is riddled with them.

You're not as clever as you seem desperate to tell us you are. You've got a certain skill with waffle that can generate a long, florid post, but that doesn't mean it says anything of much worth.

No.... my previous message stands as it is.

You need to take a long look in the mirror - for an altogether different reason than the one you presently use it for.

Now, let's get back ON topic.... and stay there.

*Two can play at that game, mate. Consider YOURSELF "rubbished".

• I am starting to question the policy of banning visitors to those in hospital with the virus, especially for patients who are dying. I can imagine how awful that must be for the patient and their loved ones

Those of us who have appreciated the hospital experience with recall the loss of control of your life, the boring days, the food, and so on. The monotony only relieved by the visit from your loved ones to provide glimpses of home and normal life

The patient will have come in after being poorly at home and in constant contact with their significant other, and will be on a ward with similar others.

By allowing the other half to visit is not putting them at any risk so why ban them?

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604

Not looking good for Boris and a warning to us all that this virus is not just like flu as we originally thought earlier in the thread.

It is a form of flu, Horizon, as SARS and MERS was. Many have few symptoms or don't know they've had it at all.

Some, however, like Boris, have much worse symptoms and some die, as is the case with the flu we normally fight against. The problem with this virus of course, is that currently we have no immunity, and no vaccine is available yet.

I am concerned that Boris may have contracted pneumonia now, but he should be getting the best care at St Thomas's Hospital. It'll be a few weeks before we see him back in action, though.

• It is a form of flu, Horizon, as SARS and MERS was. Many have few symptoms or don't know they've had it at all.

This is the standard response from those who seem to be in some sort of denial

I don't recall medics who have treated flu victims dying all over the place

This virus is deadly serious and as I have said all along should have been shut down earlier and the "experts" advce to "herd" ignored

• I am starting to question the policy of banning visitors to those in hospital with the virus, especially for patients who are dying. I can imagine how awful that must be for the patient and their loved ones

Those of us who have appreciated the hospital experience with recall the loss of control of your life, the boring days, the food, and so on. The monotony only relieved by the visit from your loved ones to provide glimpses of home and normal life

The patient will have come in after being poorly at home and in constant contact with their significant other, and will be on a ward with similar others.

By allowing the other half to visit is not putting them at any risk so why ban them?

Not quite sure I get your point, Bryan. More visitors = more contracting the virus. Exactly what the NHS doesn't need right now.

• Not quite sure I get your point, Bryan. More visitors = more contracting the virus. Exactly what the NHS doesn't need right now.

That was the point, the significant other would have had plenty of contact with the patient before admission and others on the ward would be in the same situation

My main point is the need for contact for the patient, could even help recovery

I can think of nothing worse than dying alone or final words said over the phone, especially for that 17 year old boy. In another case a dying patients final request was to hear the song "Sound of Music" so the nurses gathered around and sang it as she died

• My faith in my fellow man was restored yesterday evening. Our local Tesco Extra used to be open 24 hours but now closes at 10. The night crew who stock the shelves used to work through the night but now presumably start sometime in the afternoon. This means effectively that by early evening the store is pretty full of essentials

So we have taken to shopping at 6 or 7 o'clock where initially the store was pretty empty, and we could walk straight in. However it looks as of others have latched on to this, and it has got busier

Yesterday evening we arrived, the disabled parking spaces were all empty so we took the first place next to the entrance where a small queue had formed. I knew that I could not stand for the time it would take but we always have the wheelchair in the car so out that came. The queue watched the process of me getting into the chair and when we set off to the back of the queue they all waved us through to the front where the security bloke waved us in

I was touched by a simple gesture of humanity

• "The moral question is how to weigh up what does the most harm," Michael Buerk, host of Radio 4's Moral Maze, tells Sun Online.

"Put crudely, is it worth blighting the lives of the many to save the relatively few, most of whom might not have much longer to live anyway?"

While he says it may be a "heartless calculation" to have to make at any time, especially when it's your own family member, he says it's something doctors face every day.

An interesting piece and well worth reading.

• You say: I've spotted number of logical fallacies in your diatribe. Red Herring, Strawman to list just a few. Your message is riddled with them.
    I say: Prove it. Contest the points. Enter the debate. Fight the message, not the messenger. Play the ball

You say: You're not as clever as you seem desperate to tell us you are.

I say: How on earth can you tell? Besides, with you I don't need to be. I already told you I had become resigned to talking to myself

You say: You've got a certain skill with waffle that can generate a long, florid post but that doesn't mean it says anything of much worth.

I say: You might be right but you need to prove or demonstrate it.

You say: Now, let's get back ON topic.... and stay there.

I say: It was your initial post which raised the topic of eugenics, to which I responded without straying from it. So don't kid yourself or others

This is a forum. If you don't want to debate your thoughts or opinions, or only want replies of which you approve or agree, you may as well keep your thoughts to yourself

Edited once, last by casablanca (April 7, 2020 at 6:39 PM).

• If this is correct, and it's a big if, then what the hell is he doing occupying a desperately needed ICU bed that an actually very ill person needs?

The reports I've seen say that he's still on oxygen and with the progression of the virus that can rapidly change to needing to be put on a respirator. I suggest that Boris' physicians are in a better position to judge if he needs to be in an ICU than the Mail or you.

• Stop it, Bryan. Whoever is the PM needs the best treatment to get them back on their feet fit and healthy so they can run the country. And yes, if it was my prospective bed that the PM of whichever political persuation, I would understand from the start who would get priority, and as important as I am, it would not be me!

• The reports I've seen say that he's still on oxygen and with the progression of the virus that can rapidly change to needing to be put on a respirator. I suggest that Boris' physicians are in a better position to judge if he needs to be in an ICU than the Mail or you.

The statement is from Downing St about his condition and to me raises the question as to why, if the statement is correct does he need an ICU bed

I can view these things objectively as I am not blinded by political bias :)

"The prime minister is breathing without a ventilator and has not been diagnosed with pneumonia, Downing Street has said. His spokesman said Boris Johnson was stable overnight and remains in good spirits. "

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi…0-says-11969904

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!