New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Might we end up with the same number of deaths with or without a lockdown or withr without a relaxation of a lockdown?

I don't see how a easing of restrictions will improve things. It is obvious that if people stay in their homes, that makes it impossible for the virus to spread, but these measures will just open the floodgates again as we have seen in China, South Korea and Germany.

Bearing in mind the deaths bureaucratic Britain was able to “achieve” with all their precautions and aatempts to reduce infection and save those who were infected, it is dismaying that ourdeath rate is above expectation compared with other countries.

What precautions?

Keeping the airports open, allowing any tom, dick or harry to spread the virus from other countries.

Protecting the elderly in care homes. They've been left like lams to the slaughter, most of them and the staff who work in homes, still haven't been tested and there is no official quarantine measures specifically for care home.

If these are precautions, I'd hate to think what would happen if the government was negligent.

• You can bet your bottom dollar that the public will conclude that this government is undoubtedly to blame for that excess number of deaths as a result of NOT having a lockdown soon enough.

YES!

You too seem to feel that the lock down shouldnot be eased. Ever?

When did I ever say that the lockdown should never be eased?

While there are still hundreds dying from this every day, it is blatantly negligent of the government to ease the lockdown now.

It seems there is simply no way of convincing the public (and that appears to include you) that there is a trade-off debate to be had between (a) sacrificing a few more lives barely worth living

In your opinion. The relatives of the very frail and elderly out there, may have a different view to you.

Indeed, we’re not even allowed to think out loud about a policy for those poor souls in a caring home (aka God’s Waiting Room, with no exit door and a median average wait of 1.5 years).

That's a different debate entirely.

• Glad to have got you firing on all cylinders!

Of course you didn’t say it should never be eased. That’s the problem with people. They’re big on saying what they don’t want but piss poor on what they do want. It’s easy to turn traffic lights red but when do you turn them green? On the Cov 19 lockdown traffic lights you haven’t the faintest idea, have you?

Boris is not turning them a full green but a paler or orangey provisional shade of green. He has also been adamantly clear that he will return to red if the number of infections and deaths show that the easing up isn’t working. What’s your constructive contribution? That you’re not demanding lockdown forever but nor are you saying when lockdown might be eased and nor are you saying what circumstances would warrant it’s easing. In short, you bring to this matter sweet FA. Please save lives by not even thinking of becoming an MP!

Sure Horizon, there are hundreds still dying from Cov19 every day. Like it’s a death-threatening virus, yeah, we all understand. Let’s say under lockdown it’s another 650 dead today, 600 tomorrow 550 the day after, then 500, 450 etc etc. And let’s say with an easing of lockdown it’s 650 today, 600 tomorrow, 575 the day after, 540, 510, 450, 400, etc etc. In other words, the R infection is a consistently reducing probability and the slope is steadily down but not quite so smooth and a bit slower to reach zero than with a total lockdown. So then what? Do you say “we must keep the lockdown in place without relaxing it”? What about others who say “but I’m back at work and bringing home money, not relying on the food bank, my employer is not going bust, my kids might not become mentally ill, etc etc? What’s your decision? Too many deaths for your delicate peace of mind? For you, is taking a chance verboten? How do you live if you don't take a chance? Do you never cross the road? Take a plane? Swim in the sea?

How do you decide what is too many? You’ve barely touched on my last point about a trade-off. When Uncle Joe Stalin - beast though he was - said "one death is a tragedy but one million is a statistic", he could just as easily have said 100 or 1000. If you can’t handle the subject of how to save lives without making such a tawdry statement as “the relatives of the frail and elderly may have a different view”, then you’re just a touchy-feely sentimental sweet-old-thing who is ineligible or unable to discuss this subject rationally and with no hope or wish to do so. And when your best response to my comment that society is not even allowed to think out loud about the harsh reality of those poor souls in God’s Waiting Room (with an average wait of 1.5 years) is “that’s a different debate entirely”, you have in fact reinforced my very point, that you don’t like to think about things that you don’t like to think about. In other words, you’re suffering from the Scarlet OHara virus!

I expected more from you.

• I don't see how a easing of restrictions will improve things. It is obvious that if people stay in their homes, that makes it impossible for the virus to spread, but these measures will just open the floodgates again as we have seen in China, South Korea and Germany.

Surely, this is the dilemma. As you point out, as soon as you ease the measures, the number of cases increases. But you cannot keep everyone in lockdown forever.

All over the world, each country will have to accommodate the fact that this virus is going nowhere until it's done.

• Not forever OB, but until the virus is gone.

At a minimum, things should've stayed as they are until June. But wait another month and with track and trace in place, the virus would've been eliminated, as long as airports were forced to shut. Now the government will "reap" the winds of its actions, but it will be many more thousands of elderly people who will pay the actual cost though.

• The only reason we ever went onto lockdown was to reduce the numbers that the NHS could cope with and the only reason we are now coming out of lockdown is to save what little is left of the economy. They want them plains back in the sky. There is also some copycat behaviour to fall in line with other countries which is also linked to the economy and remaining at the same levels of capitalistic power as other countries. I wouldn't be surprised if we all end up back in lockdown before Christmas especially as they trying to persuade everyone to wear masks so all that touching and / or not washing them etc so they will possibly be soaked in viral fluids spread by hands will will give a false sense of security and either help spread the virus so we catch it or help spread smaller amounts of the virus so we build up immunity.

Antibody tests are pointless accept it gives another false sense of security and reason for employers to allow staff back to work. The contact tracing app will end up causing more problems than good but it does give them an easy way to manipulate numbers and make things look more positive than what is reality. Forget the idea of vaccines, that is years away yet if ever. We don't even have a vaccine for the common cold because they have not been able to create one and big pharma make to much money from cold and flu products. I think they would rather sell us a COVID mask than a vaccine. Imagine how many masks can get sold over a year for years to come, just like in highly polluted countries. A vaccine is pie in the sky. If they develop one and by the time they do and finish putting it through testing and giving it a certification we might have something worse than COVID which will then require a new vaccine. With the amount of dirt and grime we humans make on the planet maybe the bubonic plague will make a come back.

• Damage, like what?:rolleyes:

Uncontrolled immigration, the introduction of an underclass prepared to live on benefits, political correctness, multicultural and diversity brain washing, the comp culture, and needless to say a wrecked economy.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Why don't you try reading the stuff you present? Then you'll understand that no one's hiding the truth but instead they can't escertain the truth. Just digging up bits of news makes you just a low grade messenger.

I don't dig up "bits of news" I continually research all the news

You should try it, it might be good for your bile - but I doubt it !

• Whoopy do, Estate Agents can open from today and house sales can resume

So perfect strangers can come and look around my house but my family can't

Can anybody explain the logic behind this or is this just another stupid move from this government

Meanwhile the Transport minister, Schapps? has told the media this morning that tubs and train travellers should "stay alert" and not "crush up". Has he ever tried to travel on the trains at the peak times?

• Whoopy do, Estate Agents can open from today and house sales can resume

So perfect strangers can come and look around my house but my family can't

Can anybody explain the logic behind this or is this just another stupid move from this government

Meanwhile the Transport minister, Schapps? has told the media this morning that tubs and train travellers should "stay alert" and not "crush up". Has he ever tried to travel on the trains at the peak times?

I can give you some logic, whether or not I agree with any of it. It's permissible for a cleaner to come in and clean your house on a daily basis, but it's not permissible to let your son/daughter in who you haven't seen for two months. It's not permissible to meet up with more than one friend in the park (social distancing caveat of course) but you can stand two meters away from 50 people you have never met before etc etc. There are dozens of anomalies, but the government can't cover every angle. They had two choices, leave things as they were, or attempt to start the economy and society moving again. I prefer the latter, despite said anomalies.

• Uncontrolled immigration, the introduction of an underclass prepared to live on benefits, political correctness, multicultural and diversity brain washing, the comp culture, and needless to say a wrecked economy.

I said, damage. Not your tedious rabid ultra-right-wing party political broadcast nonsense.

• Well, how we pay for the cost of these measures is now taking centre stage in the news today. The Telegraph reports, inter alia:

On pensions, the advice the government is receiving is:

'...it would be "economically better to break the tax lock to achieve revenue of this scale than attempt to raise this level of revenue"

On tax, it

'...would also be "important to consider measures that support a growth-friendly composition of tax (consumption/property taxes rather than taxes on income/profits).'

Imposition of green taxes is also being considered.

• I don't dig up "bits of news" I continually research all the news

You should try it, it might be good for your bile - but I doubt it !

You should work for the Daily Mail. They too never let research get in the way of an unsupportable opinion

Meanwhile, rest assured, you are good for my bile!

• You should work for the Daily Mail. They too never let research get in the way of an unsupportable opinion

Meanwhile, rest assured, you are good for my bile!

You obviously haven't noticed, I no longer read or quote the Mail. Not by choice but by circumstances, but you never were very observant

They wanted me to subscribe and I declined

• One in three small business owners who have been forced to close their companies because of the coronavirus pandemic say they may never reopen.

Firms have struggled to pay their rent and have had to shelve expansion plans, according to a survey carried out by the Federation of Small Business (FSB).

Of the 5,000 companies surveyed, four in ten said they had been forced to close since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak, and of those, 35 per cent were not sure whether they would ever reopen again.

A quarter of the companies were struggling to pay their rent or mortgage on their premises.

And similar number had been forced to shelve product development plans.

SME's are the main employers in this country. Many people are going to be out of a job and unable to pay their bills, mortgages and council tax.

• I said, damage. Not your tedious rabid ultra-right-wing party political broadcast nonsense.

It's a matter of what culture you like, we obviously have different views regarding this. Oh, I'm not ultra right wing, I'm just right wing. Either way, it's a lot better than being a snowflake

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!