New Chinese virus spreads

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • But that would involve us all having tests which seem beyond the governments capapbilities

Any government Bryan, there are nearly 68m of us. Think about it

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• From Monday 5 of us will be able to exercise outdoors together according to todays Downing St briefing

"Doggers" will be delighted :D

• Achieving that costs money. The day the economy becomes more important than saving lives is the day we completely lose our humanity.

What do you mean becomes more important. It already happened many years ago. As soon as the rich start losing money they want the economy back up and running so their workers can start slaving away again to fill their coffers.

• That's a form of exercise I had not considered...=O

This is so funny

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• These Spaniards can be so difficult! They could just restrict movement to the English ghettos created by the Benidorm Brigade for themselves. But no, it has to be ban. And what about the Greeks. And the French! So un-European, these people. ;)

From Yahoo:

Spanish health minister bans British holidaymakers 'until UK's coronavirus situation improves'

• Another failure, can this government get anything right

"Test-and-trace system won't be fully operational for 'period of time', Downing Street admits"

At Prime Minister’s Questions on May 20, Mr Johnson told MPs: “We have growing confidence that we will have a test, track and test operation that will be world-beating and yes it will be in place by June 1.”

World beating in it's failure?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/…n-a4456461.html

Agree with you, they are still doing an excellent job

• Yes they do. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do all we can to keep the effects of COVID-19 to an absolute minimum.

Achieving that costs money. The day the economy becomes more important than saving lives is the day we completely lose our humanity.

I would rather a trashed economy than a runaway death rate.

If anything is going to trash the economy, it will be Brexit. But of course, that's alright. Blue passports and all that, eh..?

Apart from that last comment about Brexit, I agree.

• I see that eminent scientists who sit on SAGE are now openly criticising the decision to ease lockdown, and fear there will be a spread of the virus

So it is a political decision and a move away from "Acting on the advice of scientists". No doubt the sycophants will call this a lefty liberal plot

Johnson will properly carry the can :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52858392

I was out and about yesterday and the roads were packed., so the weather and Cummings have collectively killed the lockdown anyway.

I guess we'll find out in two or three weeks whether things will be okay or not.

• I was out and about yesterday and the roads were packed., so the weather and Cummings have collectively killed the lockdown anyway.

I guess we'll find out in two or three weeks whether things will be okay or not.

Yep, but there are loads of scientists that say is what we are doing is right, and loads that say we should never have a had lock down in the first place. If we were locked in our houses now you would have put up a post telling us scientists are saying it's OK to go out. Ultimately the government are giving us all the information we need, and if you don't want to go out, stay indoors. 99% of people who get this virus don't die, and the vast majority of those who do die are very old or ready to kick the bucket anyway. Unfortunately there will be irresponsible people, I know because I live close to a holiday area. Unfortunately we can't legislate based on a small minority. Never mind though, they are probably classed as financially deprived, and that gives them the right to be stupid.

• Yep, but there are loads of scientists that say is what we are doing is right, and loads that say we should never have a had lock down in the first place. If we were locked in our houses now you would have put up a post telling us scientists are saying it's OK to go out.

Err, no I wouldn't.

Ultimately the government are giving us all the information we need, and if you don't want to go out, stay indoors. 99% of people who get this virus don't die, and the vast majority of those who do die are very old or ready to kick the bucket anyway.

That seems to be the government's attitude as well, screw the most vulnerable, they'll die anyway.

• Err, no I wouldn't.

If it defied government recommendations you would. It's evident you can't understand the importance of getting the economy going.

• Just come across this opinion piece from Trevor Kavanagh, who I normally like: (Click the orange link to read the full article)

We have been incarcerated by experts who allowed a non-epidemic with a comparatively low death rate to crash our way of life, wreck jobs and prosperity — and put far more lives at risk from other causes.

I simply don't agree with him and I don't see with hundreds of thousands dead, possibly millions if we include those China never told us about, I don't see why he thinks like this.

• Just come across this opinion piece from Trevor Kavanagh, who I normally like: (Click the orange link to read the full article)

I simply don't agree with him and I don't see with hundreds of thousands dead, possibly millions if we include those China never told us about, I don't see why he thinks like this.

I understand where you are coming from, Horizon, but I simply do not agree with the view that this lockdown was necessary. In fact, it could have made things worse because people were cooped up indoors during the nice weather when they could have been outside, where it is clear that people are at less risk of picking up the virus.

It has always been clear that the lockdown is in place to slow the virus down, not to eliminate it, which can only be achieved through herd immunity or a vaccine. You simply cannot keep people locked up for a year or more out of fear. And where does the money come from to run our public services, such as the NHS, if the economy is trashed?

It is muddled thinking, and by delaying the spread of the virus, we run a bigger risk that it will start mutating.

What an absolute mess. We should have simply isolated those at high risk and the vulnerable. Most healthy people either don't know they've had it or get only mild symptoms. They could have achieved the herd immunity in relatively short shrift while the vulnerable were isolated from it. Instead, we are now at risk of a second wave come the winter, and quite possibly further waves after that, with an ever increasingly struggling economy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!