Australian-style points system to control immigration

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Sadly that is true but it's always been there. Politics is built on slagging each other off. What do you think they do in Parliament by creating sides. Politics is as much of an ass as the law and both are full of shit. One could argue that we are all mentally ill....the human race is mentally ill. I certainly wouldn't call us a stable species mentally or physically.

• That is a shocking indictment of politics today, and the main reason why there is such division

Once upon a time people respected others political views, now it is down to playground name calling

Propagated by the left. Don’t be such a snowflake Bryanluc you are the worst culprit.

• Sadly that is true but it's always been there. Politics is built on slagging each other off. What do you think they do in Parliament by creating sides. Politics is as much of an ass as the law and both are full of shit. One could argue that we are all mentally ill....the human race is mentally ill. I certainly wouldn't call us a stable species mentally or physically.

No, it is definitely exclusive to those batshit crazy lefties 😉

It didn't used to be, Parliament had some wonderful debaters who commanded respect from all sides

Sadly it has become a bullfight with opposites trying to score childish points off each other, carried on by outsiders too

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• It didn't used to be, Parliament had some wonderful debaters who commanded respect from all sides

Sadly it has become a bullfight with opposites trying to score childish points off each other, carried on by outsiders too

Do you remember Billy Connolly’s famous quote “the very desire to be a politician should automatically bar you for life from ever being one”. I think this is where we are today. We have childlike politicians who are full of student unionesque politics who are completely incapable of having a nuanced debate. Shades of grey are the way the real world operates but our current crop are unable to grasp that their ideological utopia is grossly unappealing to most. We need more nuanced and reasonable policies. This is why Labour are doomed currently.

• Do you remember Billy Connolly’s famous quote “the very desire to be a politician should automatically bar you for life from ever being one”. I think this is where we are today. We have childlike politicians who are full of student unionesque politics who are completely incapable of having a nuanced debate. Shades of grey are the way the real world operates but our current crop are unable to grasp that their ideological utopia is grossly unappealing to most. We need more nuanced and reasonable policies. This is why Labour are doomed currently.

There are some excellent debaters in the Commons, the problem is they do not appeal to the media's constant demand for "trash news"

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• With this new immigration law being implemented by the Home Office and given their usual incompetence I wonder how much faith we can have in them

Firstly they cocked up the Windrush generations rights to remain here which is going to cost millions in compensation

They regularly cock up applications to remain from EU citizens who have the right to remain here

And now we have the bizarre situation where two very elderly Italians who have lived here most of their lives risking being thrown out

"A 100-year-old Italian man was told his parents must confirm his identity if he wants to stay in the UK after Brexit.

Giovanni Palmiero, who has lived in London since 1966, went to an advice centre in Islington, north London, to apply for settled status.

But when a volunteer scanned his passport using the Home Office EU settled status app, it misinterpreted his birth year to be 2019 instead of 1919."

https://www.independent.co.uk/…e-eu-london-a9333001.html

https://www.google.co.uk/searc…2MBHVjFC5sQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If all of these things prevent foreigners wanting to live here, it can't be a bad thing

Don't make me angry

• If all of these things prevent foreigners wanting to live here, it can't be a bad thing

Did you see Endeavour on Sunday evening. Oxford in 1970 with just the same racism and nonsense

50 years and nothing has changed

I never believed in the "UK is basically racist" but it looks as if I have been wrong

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Talk to farmers and crop growers,they will will you how impossible it is to get Brits to do the work, a TV company made a documentary about it

Would you like to go to work in the weather today to pick some broccoli or leeks

You are quite right about that. We live in a farming county and I've heard it said many times by those who own farms or work in or around the farming industry. Britons just don't want to do it.

I've also made the point before that one of the key reasons why foreign workers are more suitable for this kind of work is that they are mobile. They go where the work is, rather than native citizens who, by virtue of home ownership, family ties or whatever reason, are overwhelmingly unwilling to up-sticks and make an expensive move for the sake of getting a low paid, seasonal job.

I wouldn't sell my house and move my family to go hundreds of miles to take up a crop picking job, but migrants - who are mostly only here to work so they can send their wages home to their families - are more willing to endure frequent movements and poor living conditions. They know they'll be going home at some point.

The classic stereotyping of migrant workers is one of leeches sucking the lifeblood out of "Good British Communities" when the opposite is true. They perform a valuable service on a wage that doesn't inflate prices.

This link is a couple of years old, but I assure you, the situation since has only gotten worse.

https://www.farminguk.com/news…rot-in-fields-_47882.html

This is more recent. It's from last year

https://www.cornwalllive.com/n…ils-left-rot-lack-2716754

Snip from link

James claimed locals did not want to work in the fields, saying he only had ten applications this year. Of those, eight were offered jobs but only two turned up and they did not last their first week

• Did you see Endeavour on Sunday evening. Oxford in 1970 with just the same racism and nonsense

I never believed in the "UK is basically racist" but it looks as if I have been wrong

It’s all about tolerance Bryan. Tolerance is putting up with something you don’t like or want. It’s what we have all be indoctrinated to do over the years. However tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing.

• I'm getting really fed up with this word "won't". We have many unemployed people, and the prisons are full, so why the hell are we relying on East European immigrants to pick our spuds? I am presuming that we never got to eat vegetables until we opened the doors to Europe

Don't make me angry

• Did you see Endeavour on Sunday evening. Oxford in 1970 with just the same racism and nonsense

Every country is racist, as people are tribal by nature, and don't openly take to different cultures. We can kid ourselves otherwise, but kidding is what it is. I am tolerant of foreigners, and welcome them to visit. I believe every country should attempt to be self sufficient.

Don't make me angry

• It’s all about tolerance Bryan. Tolerance is putting up with something you don’t like or want. It’s what we have all be indoctrinated to do over the years. However tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing.

If you had to be indoctrinated to be tolerant I would suggest that there was something seriously lacking in your upbringing and education

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• I am tolerant of foreigners, and welcome them to visit. I believe every country should attempt to be self sufficient.

"I'm alright Jack"

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Another effect of Brexit and the draconian immigration proposals - train services around here are being cancelled because of staff shortages. The Romanians have all gone home

Sorry, no link. This is a local radio news item

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If you had to be indoctrinated to be tolerant I would suggest that there was something seriously lacking in your upbringing and education

I had to tolerate being in the EU but I never accepted it. The first opportunity I had to change the situation I took it without hesitation. Tolerance is what you do when there is no other option.

• I had to tolerate being in the EU but I never accepted it. The first opportunity I had to change the situation I took it without hesitation. Tolerance is what you do when there is no other option.

Tolerance about being outside the EU is not something I will do, I have been a Europhobe since the 60s and I ain't gonna change now.There are always other options

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Tolerance about being outside the EU is not something I will do, I have been a Europhobe since the 60s and I ain't gonna change now.There are always other options

For example spend the next 27 year’s campaigning for Eurentry referendum. Make sure you word the question carefully so that the stupid voters know what they are voting for...

• For example spend the next 27 year’s campaigning for Eurentry referendum. Make sure you word the question carefully so that the stupid voters know what they are voting for...

What, just like the last one ;)

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Ms Patel was all over the TV this morning, flogging her new bill. Hard line Tories will love her and her control policies

However it will be interesting to see how they feel once the reality bites

I wonder what she will do when a boat load of women and children are sinking off Dover

Curious that someone from an immigrant family seems determined to stop any other immigrants coming, typical I'm alright Tory. And a Home Secretary who believe in capital punishment

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• On the face of it, this seems good, but the BBC reporter just mentioned a few other things here:

• Youth scheme for young people to come and work for a while
    • Students can stay two years after graduation
    • Seasonality scheme ie for fruit pickers

So, under this scheme we will allow unlimited numbers of "skilled" workers and the definition for skilled seems debated and low skilled workers can still come such as fruit pickers. I'm not sure this is quite the controls we wanted.

The government has said they will keep reviewing things and will bring in caps if things get out of control, but the system as presented today seems very "loose" to me. Plus, this is merely Part 1, what about the other parts of immigration? Who can become a resident and who can apply for citizenship? Until these parts are known, I see this as a work in progress only and give this new scheme a lukewarm welcome.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.