Sentencing criminals? How would you change the system?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Perhaps a better strategy would be to order anybody caught in possession of a knife..... if not convicted of any crime..... to attend an education course specifically designed to, well, educate on the risks and dangers, and the alternative options. They would then have to sign a register that states they agree to no longer carry knives. They will remain on that register for five years and if caught in possession during that time, they will then be convicted under laws passed to cover such eventualities.

That's a good idea :thumbup:

• It is time to control the sale of knives and have stiffer sentences if caught carrying

Since when has that ever helped. You will just have acid thrown in your face then, so ban acid, then you use Alkali, ban that, then you find something else and on it goes. Are we going to ban pens because they make a good weapon when shoved into someone's throat. We need to get to the root causes of crime which often leads to unemployment, poverty and neglect. I can tell you now things are only going to get worse. Until the financial system is changed or abandoned in favour of a system that does not create a rich and poor divide then things will never change. For many people prison is the better option than living on the outside and having to struggle. It's all handed on a plate in prison. Jobs are moving to be a thing of the past as the machines and automation take over. Even if you are lucky to have job the likelihood is that it will be a poor wage and you will still have to substitute living costs in some way. Maybe a bit of drug dealing between friends or something else.

• Since when has that ever helped. You will just have acid thrown in your face then, so ban acid, then you use Alkali, ban that, then you find something else and on it goes.

Ok so if they move to acid then you ban general sales of that and so on

If the state can ban shopping without a mask they can ban anything

• Ok so if they move to acid then you ban general sales of that and so on

If the state can ban shopping without a mask they can ban anything

I think Norra has suggested the futility of doing that, Bryan.

It is indeed more productive to get to the causes of crime. These youngsters need to be helped to understand how to extracate themselves from violence and become productive members of society, thus addressing the poverty issue. We need to get them at an early age if we are to address this properly.

• I think Norra has suggested the futility of doing that, Bryan.

It is indeed more productive to get to the causes of crime. These youngsters need to be helped to understand how to extracate themselves from violence and become productive members of society, thus addressing the poverty issue. We need to get them at an early age if we are to address this properly.

So true

That is why we need a Labour government who would invest in local services and provide youth services which have been slashed by the Tories ;)

• So true

That is why we need a Labour government who would invest in local services and provide youth services which have been slashed by the Tories ;)

Have they turned over a new leaf, then? Last time they were in power, youth unemployment was high and they papered over the cracks by handing out benefits. That is extremely wasteful and does nothing to build self-esteem in young people.

• Since when has that ever helped. You will just have acid thrown in your face then, so ban acid, then you use Alkali, ban that, then you find something else and on it goes. Are we going to ban pens because they make a good weapon when shoved into someone's throat. We need to get to the root causes of crime which often leads to unemployment, poverty and neglect. I can tell you now things are only going to get worse. Until the financial system is changed or abandoned in favour of a system that does not create a rich and poor divide then things will never change. For many people prison is the better option than living on the outside and having to struggle. It's all handed on a plate in prison. Jobs are moving to be a thing of the past as the machines and automation take over. Even if you are lucky to have job the likelihood is that it will be a poor wage and you will still have to substitute living costs in some way. Maybe a bit of drug dealing between friends or something else.

Don’t kid yourself poverty has anything to do with it. It is poor parenting primarily caused by absent fathers and lack of discipline in schools caused by overly liberal attitudes in academia. This is then parcelled up as a poverty and inequality sob story. It’s utter bollocks.

The way you are carrying on you sound like an advocate for Black Lives Matter with your dismantle capitalism rantings.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It's nothing to do with poverty. -- It's down to children not being brought up to be useful members of society and being told that the laws which other people obey do not apply to them. .......... All because of lazy uncaring parenting.. The current snowflake attitude that criminals are victims is moronic.. Criminals are evil and should be punished hard.. The judges are completely out of touch with modern life and the sentencing is pathetic.

The Voice of Reason

• Have they turned over a new leaf, then? Last time they were in power, youth unemployment was high and they papered over the cracks by handing out benefits. That is extremely wasteful and does nothing to build self-esteem in young people.

Think the Blair years must have passed you by

• It's nothing to do with poverty. -- It's down to children not being brought up to be useful members of society and being told that the laws which other people obey do not apply to them.

An interesting analysis of life under the Tories ass we have been for the last ten years

• I was talking about the Blair years. High youth unemployment; over-reliance on benefits. It was the Conservatives that supported modern apprenticeships in a meaningful way.

There was a problem of youth and adult unemployment following the Major years and the economic crass. Remember the astronomical Lamont interest rates?

Benefits were of course dished out to those who needed them whilst they got back on their feet

• I won't deny that in some circumstances it is the parents and there are increased issues with single parent families as the kids often get to run rings around the parent as they can often do with two parents much of the time. You also have to remember that parents don't get to spend much time with their kids these days as both parents are often out working unless unemployed so the majority of kids turn into latch key kids.

I could guarantee you if one parent stayed at home and looked after the house and kids along with the extended family and neighbourhood community spirit, for example, a neighbour gives a child a clip around the ear for dropping litter or whatever. All looking out and helping each other and all bringing up each others kids as a community then things would be very different. We've all become very disconnected from each other. Many kid's have lost all respect for their elders whether family or otherwise. There's also the issue that we live in a 24/7 business world. There was a time when both parents and the children would be indoors in the evening and would also spend Sundays or even the whole weekend together.

Often the unemployed parents will have better children as they are around to keep an eye on them and discipline them with the exception of the criminal minded families as a whole where the parents could not give a stuff, both live in poverty and / or have no chance of employment and often the criminal minded will send the kids out to earn the bread and butter through crime. The decent families where only the mother or father goes to work and earns enough to keep the household going with one parent staying at home, their kids will more than likely turn out better as will the unemployed parent or parents who are happy living on the breadline.

It's when they become latch key kids that problems arise but we have to ask ourselves why they are latch key kids. The bad parents the majority of the time are only like that because of circumstances and society has moulded them into that. It's survival of the fittest and you do whatever you have to do to survive even if that means turning to crime. F****ing hell in this day and age we are forced onto needing a modern computer or the latest smart phone with the latest OS to use the latest browser to access some some jobsites. Many sites fail on older browsers especially when it comes to security and fancy scripting. More often than not there is no backwards compatibility built into websites or some features will fail to work especially when it comes to payment systems and security.

Even the manufactures rely things being stolen so the victim can then claim insurance and buy another. Max out those sales, and that will get worse when we go cashless and banks require the latest app that will only run on the latest OS that only works on the latest hardware. Yet again max out those sales. If your skint how are you going to get that phone. Your going to have to steal it so you can get out of the rut your in an access the jobsites to try and better yourself. Catch 22. You see society is built on and runs around crime as much as it can run without it. It depends on how much money you have. Then look at the legal system and how much money is earned through that which feeds the most rich. The same rich who are often tied in with crime at the highest levels and launder the money in the same offshore accounts as the the corporations and trusts. One feeds the other and visa-versa.

I come from a decent middle class white family and I got up to all sorts in my teenage years and my parents did not have a clue what I got up to. I could have very easily got put in juvenile detention. It's to easy to blame the parents. The problems in society run a lot deeper than parenting skills. But I agree in some cases it is parents but it's not always as Black and White.

• Until the financial system is changed or abandoned in favour of a system that does not create a rich and poor divide then things will never change.

What financial system do you have in mind that will get rid of the rich-poor divide?

1) Make everyone rich?

2) Make everyone poor?

3) Put the poor in the North and the rich in the South and don't let them cross the border?

4) Or segregate into regional categories, such as one rich region (eg Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea and/or the Cotswolds), one emergent/wealth-aspirational region (eg Fulham, Wansdworth and/or Warwickshire or Norfolk) and one for the poor-and resentful or proud-of-it (eg Harringay, Liverpool, Grimsby)?

5) Or during a second wave of Cov 19 how about a Darwinian approach, where the proud or resentful poor are told they don't have to wear masks and can go clubbing or beach sunbathing or pop concerts or Ryanair holidays in Marbella

We can work out the details later!

• Maybe it's time for the Flog em & Hang em brigade to get a chance to reverse the huge rise in crime in this country. The Softly softly approach so beloved by the Snowflakes, PC obsessives and the Marxists doesn't work.. Changes are needed ... Make prison a place where no criminal will ever want to return. Penal reform is needed to return prisons to a place of punishment.

The Voice of Reason

• I won't deny that in some circumstances it is the parents and there are increased issues with single parent families as the kids often get to run rings around the parent as they can often do with two parents much of the time

What was the difference then with post WW2 widowed mums who brought up decent sons and daughters?

• "Burglar, 17, whose gang ransacked Cardiff City star Sol Bamba's home and stole jewellery, designer handbags and £62,000 Range Rover walks free because he was a victim of 'modern slavery' during the raid"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8…rn-slavery.html

You couldn't make this up

Teenage criminals now have carte blanche to burgle and break the law

I do hope some of them burgle this judges house and use the same defence

• "Burglar, 17, whose gang ransacked Cardiff City star Sol Bamba's home and stole jewellery, designer handbags and £62,000 Range Rover walks free because he was a victim of 'modern slavery' during the raid"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8…rn-slavery.html

You couldn't make this up

Teenage criminals now have carte blanche to burgle and break the law

I do hope some of them burgle this judges house and use the same defence

He'll probably have the gall to ask for a statue to be erected in his honour.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!