Streaming services on Virgin Media

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Virgin Media is doing quite well with the number of streaming services available on their V6 box. The main players, Netflix and Amazon Prime and YouTube are on there, together with the BBC i-Player, Hayu and the StarzPlay VOD service. Hopefully, Disney + and Apple + will be coming soon also.

In the meantime, Liberty Global's 7 year contract with Netflix, which includes Virgin Media, has been extended.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.co…etflix-distribution-deal/

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• I wonder how many will interpret

around half of V6 video subscribers regularly access Netflix content on their TV sets.

as half of V6 households subscribe to Netflix, rather than half of those who use a subscription video service on their V6?

I suspect they are hoping people make that mistake with that wording.

• Mike Fries confirms Virgin Media's intention to be a super aggregator of VOD services. In fact, it sounds as if he is admitting that they still have a way to go with this concept, so maybe we will see Virgin Media boxes supporting a fuller range of DTC content providers in the near future - perhaps like Roku.

Clearly, LG also sees the video streamers being an integral part of packages in the future, much as our conventional channels are presented.

https://www.csimagazine.com/cs…es-to-app-integration.php

• Roku's more of an aggregator than a content provider. That's the appeal to content providers, and why there are so many of them in Roku, they don't have to consider them a rival. I can't see it being high on VM's list.

• Roku's more of an aggregator than a content provider. That's the appeal to content providers, and why there are so many of them in Roku, they don't have to consider them a rival. I can't see it being high on VM's list.

Yes, but Mike Fries is confirming that VM want to be a super aggregator. That is the way to attract customers given the anticipated decline of the TV channels.

I don't think for one minute that Virgin will ever offer the number of VOD services that Roku offer - most of them are rubbish anyway. Nevertheless, there is a nice selection of watchable services on there and on the Amazon Fire stick that Virgin could take on board.

• A deal was done with Viacom to bring My5, Pluto TV and MTV streaming to Virgin Media last autumn, but there has been no sign of these apps yet. It will be nice to have them.

https://www.choose.co.uk/news/…edia-adds-viacom-tv-apps/

Similarly, a deal was done with Sky to bring UHD programming and an expanded video on demand catalogue of Sky programming to the platform, but no-one seems to know when that is coming, either, other than it will be sometime in 2020.

https://www.choose.co.uk/news/…in-media-new-sky-tv-deal/

Maybe VM intend to upload these apps at the same time as Disney + so they can announce a huge enhancement to their TV service. They are still in discussions with Disney at present, so there is no guarantee we will get this service from launch on 24 March.

https://www.disneyplusinformer…disney-in-the-uk-ireland/

• ....And while we're at it, where is all the extra content we were promised with that UKTV deal? Virgin Media promised at the time:

"We’re also increasing our on-demand programming by more than five times, including more hours of catch-up and significantly more boxsets for Virgin Media’s Full House bundle customers."

At the time of writing, I see very little on demand content for the UKTV channels.

• ....And while we're at it, where is all the extra content we were promised with that UKTV deal? Virgin Media promised at the time:

"We’re also increasing our on-demand programming by more than five times, including more hours of catch-up and significantly more boxsets for Virgin Media’s Full House bundle customers."

At the time of writing, I see very little on demand content for the UKTV channels.

The only UKTV channel I really paid attention too re: on-demand content was Yesterday. And it has had much more than it used to. I'm not Full House BTW.

• The only UKTV channel I really paid attention too re: on-demand content was Yesterday. And it has had much more than it used to. I'm not Full House BTW.

Really? At the moment, there are nine programmes on catch-up and the same on box sets. Where are you looking?

Compare that with what's on Vice, for example, and it's pathetic. I expected more than this when the announcement was made.

• Really? At the moment, there are nine programmes on catch-up and the same on box sets. Where are you looking?

Compare that with what's on Vice, for example, and it's pathetic. I expected more than this when the announcement was made.

They were bought by Discovery, so don't count. Sorry, couldn't resist. 8o

I haven't looked at Yesterday for a month or so.

However, I think the reason it looks low is the low base UKTV had. So for example, to my recollection, Yesterday had like 1 show on Catch-Up. Now it has percentage-wise much more. Low starting point. Doesn't take much to have a large percentage increase.

And regards Vice, they come from a website/video background. They are culturally used to having "all"* their content simultaneously available. It's part of their business model.

* I don't literally mean all their TV schedule. They have 3rd party content like animé. I mean 1st Party content.

• Fair enough, but the point I am making is that none of the UKTV channels have much on demand content, so I can only assume that this element of Virgin's deal with UKTV has yet to be implemented.

• There's some interesting content there. The children's content particularly should be of interest to those down south, there seemed to be a lot of it last time I looked.