BT improves its TV offering

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • BT launches its new television packages, including Now TV on 21 February 2020. This means that BT viewers will be able to access all Sky Sports channels and Sky entertainment channels including Sky Atlantic for the first time.

This is a major improvement for BT subscribers that may attract more interest in the platform. It leaves Virgin Media as the only one of the big three not to offer Sky Atlantic material as part of its TV package.

It will be interesting to see whether the deal recently agreed between Sky and Virgin Media incorporates Sky Atlantic programming into its upgraded VOD offering which is expected to appear soon. Given that Sky has relented with BT, it would make sense if VM were given a similar deal (ie Sky Atlantic through VOD). My speculation, of course, but a nice thought!8)

https://www.digitaltveurope.co…-with-flexible-structure/

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• Interesting

We have BT TV and have not heard a word about this

If They Can Do It So Can I

• Interesting

We get free BT Sport with our BT TV package, and pay £36 for Sky Sports

That's right, Virgin is the best for BT Sport, but this represents a much improved situation for Sky viewers.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. I was unaware that BT Sport was free on BT TV as well!

Edited once, last by OLD BOY ().

• That's right, Virgin is the best for BT Sport, but this represents a much improved situation for Sky viewers.

Virgin hasn't reached down here

• We have BT TV and don't have access to any of those listed.Would have liked Eurosport

Presumably, you were not subscribing to the Classic Entertainment Package (£10 per month).

It's too late if that's the case - only those previously benefiting from it can continue to have it from now on, as it is now a legacy package.

• Presumably, you were not subscribing to the Classic Entertainment Package (£10 per month).

It's too late if that's the case - only those previously benefiting from it can continue to have it from now on, as it is now a legacy package.

No,we just subscribe to BT TV. That's more than enough for us

We have never been offered anything else but after a battle involving finally their CEO over fibre broadband we are probably black listed

• No,we just subscribe to BT TV. That's more than enough for us

We have never been offered anything else but after a battle involving finally their CEO over fibre broadband we are probably black listed

So what do you get, other than the Freeview channels?

• No,we just subscribe to BT TV. That's more than enough for us

But that WAS BT TV! Sonwhat were you subscribing to, then?

• But that WAS BT TV! Sonwhat were you subscribing to, then?

To be honest I don't know. We only watch BT Sport and I know there is a long list of other stuff available which we have blocked

We use the record facility on ITV programmes to skip the ads, and to take some programmes off Drama or Film 4

Just went into our BT TV box and discovered an amazing raft of programmes have appeared, all of which I have had to take some time to hide. I think they are all Sky rubbish - don't know how anyone would find time to watch them

Edited once, last by bryanluc ().

• Thanks for highlighting this as it makes BT TV now look like a serious contender for my custom; i'd never seriously considered them before. Virgin Media CS is now so atrocious that i'm looking to see what else is available.

• The current BT TV box is very good, much improved on their first one which never worked properly. Used to have frustrating conversations with some BT engineer in India offering pathetic advice such as "re-tune it when you have high pressure". I think they said that one was made by Amstrad

• The current BT TV box is very good, much improved on their first one which never worked properly. Used to have frustrating conversations with some BT engineer in India offering pathetic advice such as "re-tune it when you have high pressure". I think they said that one was made by Amstrad

Unlikely, Sky have owned Amstrad since 2007.

• To be honest I don't know. We only watch BT Sport and I know there is a long list of other stuff available which we have blocked

We use the record facility on ITV programmes to skip the ads, and to take some programmes off Drama or Film 4

Just went into our BT TV box and discovered an amazing raft of programmes have appeared, all of which I have had to take some time to hide. I think they are all Sky rubbish - don't know how anyone would find time to watch them

Why do you block your channels? You don't know what you are missing!

• Why do you block your channels? You don't know what you are missing!

BT TV have a habit of sneaking them up on us so we can see what they are, as for Sky we used to have that and only ever watched the sport

• BT TV have a habit of sneaking them up on us so we can see what they are, as for Sky we used to have that and only ever watched the sport

Why would you not want to know the content available on your platform? You are paying for it, after all!

• Why would you not want to know the content available on your platform? You are paying for it, after all!

Lots of people pay for content they'd probably like but aren't aware of. All too common.

• Lots of people pay for content they'd probably like but aren't aware of. All too common.

Well, he certainly won't be aware of it if he hides it!

• Well, he certainly won't be aware of it if he hides it!

I am aware of it before blocking. It is all rubbish!

I pay for the service because of the sport and to use the programme recording facility. In any event there is not enough time in the day to watch everything that is on there

• Britbox is coming to BT boxes soon. They have beaten Sky and Virgin Media to the mark, which certainly shows that they are on the ball with new streaming services.

So far, I understand that Sky and VM have declined to confirm that Britbox will be coming to their platforms, which I think is a mistake. I would like to see both of them being more proactive with the launch of new streamers.

Well done, BT.

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/0…s-out-on-bt-tv-boxes.html

• Considering tv is a substantial part of their business, I'd have thought they would be more proactive too, but what's new with VM?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Thanks for that. Was just about to sign up for Netflix which is on the BT box but like the look of Britbox

• Considering tv is a substantial part of their business, I'd have thought they would be more proactive too, but what's new with VM?

VM is still to launch My5, Pluto and the MTV app; it is still to launch the Sky deal which provides UHD programming and an enhanced on demand offering. They also don't appear to have given us the additional UKTV offering we were promised. Everything takes so long to come through that it is really quite frustrating. We are still waiting to hear about Disney+.

Credit where credit is due, BT seem to be quite quick off the mark with apps. They already have Sky Atlantic through Now TV and Amazon was on their platform well before it came to VM. MY5 is also available on BT.

• Thanks for that. Was just about to sign up for Netflix which is on the BT box but like the look of Britbox

Britbox consists of archive material, which is ok if you like that kind of thing. Originals are promised for later, but in the meantime, it's not for me.

If you want a huge library of original AND archive material, Netflix wins hands down in my opinion.

However, why not get a free trial of both apps? That way you can make a balanced judgement before committing one way or the other.

• However, why not get a free trial of both apps? That way you can make a balanced judgement before committing one way or the other.

I would suggest not trialling them at the same time. Binge on one, then cancel before the trial is up.