Snippets from The Cornish Party of Democratic Karma

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I thought I'd start a thread that I've done in other places with my tongue firmly in my cheek. Once a week I'll post a little round up of the smaller things in the political arena that either slip through the net on other threads, or wouldn't merit a thread of their own, but might provide a talking point here or there. These items might be a week or more old because I don't always pick up on things immediately (I've got a life) so please bear with me. Feel free to respond in the vein the thread is intended.

Flying the Flag

One would think that with Coronovirus, weekend storms and a shambolic Cabinet re-shuffle to be getting on with our puppet-on-a-string Prime Minister would be a busy bloke, but not so it seems. His most pressing problem right now seems to be a flagpole. He's applied to have a bigger pole erected over 10 Downing Street and got an application off to Westminster Council late last month. It may run into difficulties due to the building's listed status but a decision is expected by the end of March. I wonder what flag he wants to fly? Given the deterioration in relations with Scotland and Northern Ireland a Union Flag might not be appropriate. A St Georges Cross would seem provocative in the circumstances so in all probability Dominic Cummings will probably order him to run up an anarchist flag. At least he'd be happy with that.

......... And Talking of Dom

Sajid Javed toppled, a racist superforcaster hired and then let go, a tea cosy on his head.... it's been a crazy time recently for the sociopathic, unelected bureaucrat who is running a country that voted to get rid of unelected bureaucrats, but in the world of Dom it looks like there's more to come. A BBC documentary about Boris Johnson is planned to feature CBI man Colin Perry who says Dom once "seized me by the collar and tie, slammed me against the wall and raised his fist as if to hit my face." And what brought this hissy fit (that Cummings denies happening) on...? Perry claims it happened when he accused Cummings of wanting to leave the EU entirely which Dom then called a "lie". Whaaaat..? Dom wanted Britain to leave the EU...? Surely not.

Colin Browning (Remember him?)

The previously unknown Brexiter caused Remainer delight and hoots of derisive laughter with his tweet about a trip to Amsterdam. "Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol Airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue........" (You know the rest). Naturally he turned out to be yet another example of leavers blaming Europeans for stuff that isn't their fault and Browning has since admitted "I wrongly tweeted without knowing the facts. Schiphol have since clarified why the issue occurred and I apologise to them for my outburst." Less amusing is the rest of the content of Browning's Twitter timeline which features wisdom like "Give it five years and Sky Sports will be women, blacks and queers only presenting." Oh well, that will give Andy Gray and Richard Keys something to talk about if they ever get their jobs back.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

The idea of a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland is certainly silly. Not the proposal, just the very thought that a Tory government could ever achieve such an engineering project efficiently and within budget. That idea is risible . But let's not discard the thought altogether. It could happen once Scotland and Northern Ireland become independent countries and then the whole thing could be realised as part of a properly organised and funded EU infrastructure project.

Silly Political Party of the Week

Citizens For Undead Rights and Equality

The Party takes its name from a zombie video game "Dead Rising 2". Apparently it campaigns for Britain's no-longer living citizens. Their manifesto includes robust social re-integration for zombies, for permitting marriages between the living and the undead and making cemeteries more comfortable for Britain's resurrected populace. The party has gained some support too. Capcom, the video game company behind the Dead Rising series supported a protest of more than 50 zombies (oh alright, living people dressed up as zombies) in front of Parliament in 2010. Party leader Harry Cole didn't seem discouraged by poor election results. He told The Independent "We fielded candidates in four constituencies at the General Election and only came last in one of them. It's clear that there is support for those running on the zombie ticket."

and finally........

My Mate Lizzy Wizzy* Says.........

"Dominic Cummings is the epitome of everything he fabricated for leaving the EU. Take the unelected bureaucrats thing. Now we have decisions on our future being made by faceless, unaccountable figures, not in some far off distant land, but inside Downing Street itself. We are governed by arrogant, hubristic individuals with absolute unaccountability and zero democracy. Well done Dom. And yet, he's still fighting. It's still not enough. Even as the wheels are just starting to come off of the most colossal vanity project of an insecure little dictator since the end of the 1930s, he's still not satisfied. If he so desperately needs to prove his intellect why not put himself at the head of the NHS or the Universal Credit project? Turning around either of those would win him international plaudits but both would require compassion alongside an extraordinary mind. Not likely to happen then."

*Lizzy Wizzy was the screen name of a girl I became friends with on an LGBT discussion forum more than ten years ago. We have met up at Pride on several occasions and she's a very good friend. And if you thought I'M an anti-Brexit, remoaner, Euro loving snowflake........... :D I usually end my little weekly de-briefs with some of her acerbic wisdom. Watch this space.

• Not the proposal, just the very thought that a Tory government could ever achieve such an engineering project efficiently and within budget.

Do you think that any government of any colour could actually do this?

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Do you think that any government of any colour could actually do this?

If they were to fully commit to it. Think of the Oresund Bridge between De nmark and Sweden. Of course, that doesn't have to bridge an area littered with dumped munitions but again, it's an engineering problem so it must have an engineering solution. It's all about whether or not it's considered worthwhile doing.

Of course, my comment was intended to be mischievous and I think you know that, but in realistic terms let's just say such an engineering project is not impossible.

• Given the gales that blow up the Irish sea I think a tunnel might be a better option

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Given the gales that blow up the Irish sea I think a tunnel might be a better option

Yep, that'd do the job. I'm not sure what the geological constraints might be but do you think that might be a more costly or cheaper option? It'd still be funny though..... and more than a little ironic..... if Britain were to connect Northern Ireland and Scotland and then they go and leave the UK.

And then join the EU.

Oh, how we'd laugh.

• Do you think that any government of any colour could actually do this?

The role the government, any government, would play in this project would be signing off on the initial budget and programme. It is well known with these types of mega projects, oddly a mega project is anything over £10m which isn't very mega in my eyes, that governments balk at big numbers and long programmes. In fact anything that exceeds their term of office or challenges the previously set annual budget is likely to get a knock back. Therefore all project proposals put to government ministers, who generally don't know their arse from their elbow, are deliberately underestimated to ensure they get sanctioned. Nobody actually cares how much these things actually cost or how long they actually take once they are up and running, the legacy and benefits that are provided by the project outweigh the cost which is soon forgotten. HS2 is the same, once the Northern transverse sections are completed and hooked up to the North-South section everybody will think it fantastic, just like the Channel Tunnel. For example, I think the Channel Tunnel is fantastic and I have never seen it or traveled through it, but I don't begrudge it just because I have had no use for it, I'm not that self-centred.

• The role the government, any government, would play in this project would be signing off on the initial budget and programme. It is well known with these types of mega projects, oddly a mega project is anything over £10m which isn't very mega in my eyes, that governments balk at big numbers and long programmes. In fact anything that exceeds their term of office or challenges the previously set annual budget is likely to get a knock back. Therefore all project proposals put to government ministers, who generally don't know their arse from their elbow, are deliberately underestimated to ensure they get sanctioned. Nobody actually cares how much these things actually cost or how long they actually take once they are up and running, the legacy and benefits that are provided by the project outweigh the cost which is soon forgotten. HS2 is the same, once the Northern transverse sections are completed and hooked up to the North-South section everybody will think it fantastic, just like the Channel Tunnel. For example, I think the Channel Tunnel is fantastic and I have never seen it or traveled through it, but I don't begrudge it just because I have had no use for it, I'm not that self-centred.

Brother in law came for a visit and because he was nervous of using the ferry he put his car on the Eurostar at Calais. Fine

On the way back he bought a bottle of whisky at the duty free at Folkestone and settled down for the swift journey back to Calais

Sadly there was some sot of incident the Calais end, and the train was stopped for a couple of hours three quarters of the way in. He had pretty well finished the whisky by the time they got going again :(

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• I thought I'd start a thread that I've done in other places with my tongue firmly in my cheek. Once a week I'll post a little round up of the smaller things in the political arena that either slip through the net on other threads, or wouldn't merit a thread of their own, but might provide a talking point here or there. These items might be a week or more old because I don't always pick up on things immediately (I've got a life) so please bear with me. Feel free to respond in the vein the thread is intended.

I think this is a excellent idea.:thumbup::)

But why not stick all your comments in one thread and call it something like, Jenny's ironic take on politics this week, or something like that? I could pin that thread and then you wouldn't have to hunt around for it.

If you want me to merge your existing threads together, let me know and what name you want to call the thread.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Brother in law came for a visit and because he was nervous of using the ferry he put his car on the Eurostar at Calais. Fine

On the way back he bought a bottle of whisky at the duty free at Folkestone and settled down for the swift journey back to Calais

Sadly there was some sot of incident the Calais end, and the train was stopped for a couple of hours three quarters of the way in. He had pretty well finished the whisky by the time they got going again :(

Clearly he didn't fancy using the buffet car :)

• I think this is a excellent idea.:thumbup::)

But why not stick all your comments in one thread and call it something like, Jenny's ironic take on politics this week, or something like that? I could pin that thread and then, so you wouldn't have to hunt around for it.

If you want me to merge your existing threads together, let me know and what name you want to call the thread.

I agree, you can see a lot of effort goes into the post, I look forward to the next :thumbup:

• Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen. I intended to use this same thread every week, just adding the next week's clippets on to the end and readers simply click on to the last page when they want to read the latest.

Horizon: It would be very helpful if this thread was pinned. Save me having to scroll around to find it when I do the next update. LOL.

I rather like the title so wouldn't want to change it, although I have thought of several alternatives, but they might be a little provocative and I think we should avoid that.

It is no surprise that I write from the rejoiner point of view but rebuttals - in the light hearted vein I alluded to in the OP - are welcome. I think we could all do with a little lightening up of our disagreements.

All contributions welcome

• Hi Jennyanydots,

Good debate embraces all points of view. The only problem I think you have is that, once upon a time, you would've been considered edgy with your views, a bit like Ben Elton and his kind were in their heyday of the 1980's. That was when they they were the outsiders hurling abuse via their comedy against the door of the establishment. The problem now is that your views are the mainstream and to a large degree still embody the views of the establishment as it is today. Ben Elton shrank away when his ideas and political satire was no longer the outsiders view, it became the widely held view. You only have to look at the Labour Party, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Lib Dems, Greens, Far Right Watch, Greenpeace, Extinction Rebellion and The US Democratic Party to name but a few to realise that there is nothing edgy, original or unconventional about your views. The rare birds all nest here on Forumbox, exiles from other forums no longer welcome elsewhere in many instances because they do not share your point of view, which is the point of view of the mainstream media and wider establishment, including the current UK Civil Service apparently....but not apparently the UK general electorate.

That said, I welcome debate with you safe in the knowledge that you cannot get me cancelled from here (as I long as I behave myself) and you can call me all the names under the sun. I hope you find the debate as refreshing and honest as the rest of us do. You obviously didn't sign up for Forumbox because you wanted the dopamine hit from lots of likes so robust discussion must be your thing.

I do enjoy your posts by the way, anybody who bothers to write as well as you do deserves some respect :)

AS

• How very kind of you to say such things, AS. I have seen YouTube clips of Ben Elton's rants against "Mrs Thatch" on the Friday / Saturday Night Live broadcasts of the 1990's. They occurred when I was at an age where My Little Pony was far more relevant in my life than politics so I can't say I've been influenced by them. I write what I write. That's how it rolls.

You are quite right that I don't do forums for the sake of my ego and yes, I do enjoy robust discussion. If it attracts criticism then I can take that on the chin and come back fighting. I cut my debating teeth in the tough world of student debate at university. I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised to know that my main areas of involvement were Environmental Issues, Women's Rights, LGBT Rights and the campaign against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I've marched, demonstrated, petitioned, harangued my MP and made a bloody nuisance of myself over issues that I care about, the most recent of which, as I'm sure you would have worked out by now, is Brexit.

Whilst I freely accept and respect every person's right to have whatever opinion they like, I won't hold back on calling them out if I find their views repugnant. I don't intend to get anybody banned from any site. That is a decision for the owners and moderators to make and if it does happen (as it appears to have done with Mali) then that was their call. Actually, I rather miss him. He provided me with a living target for opposing what I despise most: Fascism.

Feel free to put your slant on anything I say in this column. I am a believer in the ability of people to read and decide for themselves what to make of both points of view. This is one of the reasons why I am so sad that this country has leaned towards shallow populism over the reality of substance. People are believing what they want to hear..... and they're being told what they want to hear..... rather than reading critically our current government's outpourings.

There is Just one thing I'd like to clear up..... I'm not a Labour voter. I'm aware that anybody who criticises the Conservatives is automatically assumed to be a Labour supporter. This is a consequence of our two party system. If you're not blue you must be red. I'll inform you now that actually, I'm Green. I've been a paid up member of the Green Party since the LibDems were seduced into a coalition government and became Orange Tories. People say that I waste my vote. I reply that it's my vote to waste. At least I support a party that still hasn't sold it's soul for populism or facilitated austerity and student tuition fees. When I cast my vote I go home and sleep well with what I've done.

So......... Bring it on, my friend. Let's do what we do. You and I aren't going to change the world but at the end of the day, we'll have had our say....... we'll have made our point..... and at its most basic level, that's what democracy is really all about.

I think Cleisthenies would be pretty pleased with both of us.

• A St Georges Cross would seem provocative in the circumstances so in all probability Dominic Cummings will probably order him to run up an anarchist flag.

Or a Soviet one. Cummings has a "thing" for the Ruskies.;)

Perry claims it happened when he accused Cummings of wanting to leave the EU entirely which Dom then called a "lie". Whaaaat..? Dom wanted Britain to leave the EU...? Surely not.

Cummings preferred reform of the EU, but it was only in more recent years that he wanted out.

Colin Browning (Remember him?)

Nope! Never heard of him.

"Give it five years and Sky Sports will be women, blacks and queers only presenting." Oh well, that will give Andy Gray and Richard Keys something to talk about if they ever get their jobs back.

That's if we can understand a word that Gray says.:)

Party leader Harry Cole didn't seem discouraged by poor election results. He told The Independent "We fielded candidates in four constituencies at the General Election and only came last in one of them. It's clear that there is support for those running on the zombie ticket."

But one of the undead did re-enter parliament and she goes by the name of Mrs May.:) And someone once said that this former politician had "something of the night" about him too:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• And someone once said that this former politician had "something of the night" about him too:

That was a Widdecombe quote and should be viewed accordingly the same as everything that silly old bat says

Incidentally my claim to fame regarding him is that his present wife and myself were an item in the good old days ^^

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• So.......... what has happened this week in the stumbling, bumbling world of Brexit Britain..? And further afield........

Zinger

In American parlance, a 'Zinger' is that final, cutting remark that shoots the pompous down in flames when they say something stupid, and what better Aunt Sally for that could there be than Donald Trump..? When the Tweeter-in Chief of the United States mocked Parasite as this year's top Oscar winner because it was made in South Korea and required sub-titles, because Americans and Britons don't do languages, the movies distributors retaliated with a tweet of their own aimed at The Orange One: "Understandable. He can't read."

Ouch.

The Indians Are Coming.

The Delhi Press reported this week that a LOT of Indians will easily be able to acquire the 70 points required to come to UK and stay legally according to the much vaunted points system. The Dis-United Kingdom may well need plenty of Indian medical care and surgical staff if the Coronavirus goes.... er.... viral. It is already exposing just how inter-connected the world is as manufacturing supply lines falter, output and stock market prices plunge, tourist flights are being cancelled and worst of all, the Italy vs Ireland rugby international has been called off. On the plus side for Boris though, is that it may give him a much needed alibi if / when Brexit goes badly wrong. I can hear him now: "It would have all worked out fine if it wasn't for the plague."

Any excuse will do, eh Boris..?

Experts? What Experts?

Ian Duncan-Smith, no longer the quiet man, has been telling us all what we already knew; that there are "Problems ahead" in Brexit negotiations, claiming that "One of them is the quality of the people now working on this. If you haven't negotiated with anybody for 40 years you need people who have been involved in negotiations. Really good transactional lawyers, proper trade economists, people like that......." and so on. "We are up against the EU. They HAVE been negotiating trade deals for 40 years and have all the expertise so we need to draw upon the talents of anybody who has skills in this area."

So........ four years after IDS and other Brexiters told us that "People in this country have had enough of experts" it turns out that what we need is..... er ..... experts.

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Tory MP Owen Patterson, former UKIP MEP Roger Helmer and the usual right-wing confederate, planted in the Question Time audience have been blaming the recent floods on an EU ban on dredging British rivers. As ever, there has been nothing of the sort. An EU directive from 2000 prohibits dredging if it disturbs the habitat of protected creatures but it makes quite clear that exceptions should be made where there is a risk of flooding. The above named persons conveniently forgot to mention that bit.

On the other hand, 10% of the money allocated by the last Labour government to flood prevention measures was cut by the Tories under austerity measures. When viewed as a share of GDP, spending on flood defences in 2018/19 was still substantially lower than it was in the final year of the last Labour government.

The Tories should be washed away by their own flood of lies.

I'll Tell Ya What I Want, What I Really, Really Want

I found out this week that Pritti Patel went to Watford Grammar School for Girls and was in the year below another student at that seat of learning, the former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell. I was broken hearted when Ginger left the Spice Girls, which led to the eventual break up of my adolescent "Girl Power" inspiration band. I cried. I really did.

Pritti 'orrible has been sacked from a Cabinet post once before and if the mandarins of Whitehall, who she frequently rubs up the wrong way, ever find another way to get a knife into her back, they'll do it with pleasure. Another resignation please, Pritti Ugly. In the event that it happens I would be delighted to forecast the eventual demise of this wretched woman in the form of a banner that I saw during the last Brexit march in London last year. It read: "This is like when Geri Halliwell greatly overestimated her viability as a solo artist."

I'd be the first to wave Pritti Fascist off with a smile on my face.

Faux Outrage, Boris..?

Boris was reportedly rather upset at the EU's insistence on a level playing field in a trade deal with the EU. It was made to sound as if the Evil EU had moved the goalposts, but look at the text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU that Britain has signed up to. The term "Level Playing Field" is used four times in three different sections including the main heading of Section 14 and its justification "For open and fair competition" mentioned twice.

This political declaration may not be legally binding in theory but the fact that Boris Johnson explicitly agreed to the document with the EU in the first place proves that HE is the one acting in bad faith, not the EU.

Lizzie Wizzie Told Me This Week........

.... that she sees rich pickings ahead for unscrupulous gangmasters operating in Britain after the transition period expires, under our new immigration laws.

So.... you can stay in the Dis-UK for six weeks but you're not allowed to work, well, legally at any rate. That's really going to stop low paid illegal work in Britain, eh? Yeah, right.

The scenario: You arrive in March / April, work illegally until the harvest peak / tourism period / best time of the year for construction work or until whoever is profiting from your labour allows you to go. You then go home having trousered all the money that you haven't paid a penny in tax on. Cheers, easy.

They might as well call it the Gangmaster's Charter.

And finally................

The Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party

This lot had a hard enough time keeping its own name straight. It fielded two candidates in the 2005 General Election, who ran as members of the Death, Dungeons and Taxes Party. Duhhh.

The Party's name is as draconian as it sounds. It's manifesto involved a pledge to invade France, spike tax rates up to 90% and re-introduce hanging but only for minor offences such as dropping litter, writing graffiti and walking on the cracks in the pavement. It is believed that there were no plans to involve bears in the latter.

Major offences such as murder and inappropriate use of text message abbreviations would be punished by ritual disembowelment.

• The Delhi Press reported this week that a LOT of Indians will easily be able to acquire the 70 points required to come to UK and stay legally according to the much vaunted points system. The Dis-United Kingdom may well need plenty of Indian medical care and surgical staff if the Coronavirus goes.... er.... viral.

There are a good number of them here already, where would our NHS be without them. I am currently under four consultants for varying reasons and three of them are from that neck of the woods. In a hospital stay late 2018 we had Indian women healthcare assistants - very rude and abrupt

Weirdly that is one of the arguments for continuing our "aid" to India in that in return we get medics working here

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Zinger

In American parlance, a 'Zinger' is that final, cutting remark that shoots the pompous down in flames when they say something stupid, and what better Aunt Sally for that could there be than Donald Trump..? When the Tweeter-in Chief of the United States mocked Parasite as this year's top Oscar winner because it was made in South Korea and required sub-titles, because Americans and Britons don't do languages, the movies distributors retaliated with a tweet of their own aimed at The Orange One: "Understandable. He can't read."

Ouch.

They would've been even more upset if he said he liked it. The problem for the liberal/leftie/luvvie is they think they are the resistance and they will demonstrate to the rest of the world that they (Hollywood) are on their side. The only flaw with that is that they are not on the rest of the worlds side. The rest of the world are standing open mouthed at the complete lack of self-awareness these moronic over paid script repeaters/pretend artists display. Nobody cares what they think. As Ricky Gervais so ably put it, "most of you have spent less time at school than Greta Thumberg".

Ouch

Experts? What Experts?

Ian Duncan-Smith, no longer the quiet man, has been telling us all what we already knew; that there are "Problems ahead" in Brexit negotiations, claiming that "One of them is the quality of the people now working on this. If you haven't negotiated with anybody for 40 years you need people who have been involved in negotiations. Really good transactional lawyers, proper trade economists, people like that......." and so on. "We are up against the EU. They HAVE been negotiating trade deals for 40 years and have all the expertise so we need to draw upon the talents of anybody who has skills in this area."

So........ four years after IDS and other Brexiters told us that "People in this country have had enough of experts" it turns out that what we need is..... er ..... experts.

Yes we need experts in specialist subjects, no shit Sherlock. However, Brexit was not and is not about what is the easiest course of action for Business. Our EU membership was clearly not working for us. Our low skilled labour force were being forced onto benefits as they were being undercut by cheap foreign labour who then had to top up their own low pay with errrr...benefits. We also had to pay for the children they left back in their own countries. So we had companies set up in Britain that didn't employ local labour to save a few quid. The lower tax take from the even lower paid foreign labour produced even less tax take or even none at at so we end up paying for the benefits of the native Brits who have been undercut whilst topping up the low pay of the cheap foreign labour with benefit payments. So the expertise that lead to this folly are quite rightly not held in high regard. Yes we need experts, but not that sort.

You clearly have not ever dealt with regulators have you? The problem we have in this country and I'm sure our EU friends would agree is that we as a nation are over zealously compliant with every rule and regulation. Where there is doubt about what the correct interpretation of a rule is, we produce the most extreme over interpretation of that rule and police like maniacs. We have a habit of letting people with fanatical vested interests run our regulatory bodies which makes progress virtually impossible on so many fronts. Funding is not the issue, it is where to attack first. However, if we could rid ourselves of the zealots in the regulatory bodies we could probably do a better job.

I think Priti Patel has got her work cut out dealing with these career civil servants, she is making a good start but a long way to go. I can see you are no fan but I find her curiously attractive, dare I say she is pretty hot for a politician. I'm surprised you can't see it we seem to have similar tastes in women!

I think this time she will run through the civil service like a bout of the plague and all the useless and non-cooperative tossers will be culled. About time too and good riddance.

Faux Outrage, Boris..?

Boris was reportedly rather upset at the EU's insistence on a level playing field in a trade deal with the EU. It was made to sound as if the Evil EU had moved the goalposts, but look at the text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU that Britain has signed up to. The term "Level Playing Field" is used four times in three different sections including the main heading of Section 14 and its justification "For open and fair competition" mentioned twice.

This political declaration may not be legally binding in theory but the fact that Boris Johnson explicitly agreed to the document with the EU in the first place proves that HE is the one acting in bad faith, not the EU.

Negotiations always involve a first round of kicking each other in the shins. The EU want to exclude Gibralter (a British territory) from any deal. They want to carry on fishing like nothing happened in British waters and now they say we can't have the Canada+++ deal they were talking about because we are too close to them geographically. You don't seem too bothered by these demands do you. I can see the hypocrisy on both sides because unlike you I am not ideologically possessed.

What is being said now and what we end up with are a long way apart.

Lizzie Wizzie Told Me This Week........

I don't think the rules for entry will be staying the same for much longer with the points based system coming in. There will also be a need for greater transparency from employers to demonstrate why they are employing foreign nationals. Priti is still getting her feet under the table in her job and has a lot of crap to deal with in the guise of the remainer pro-EU civil service. Once shes on top of that, focus on unscrupulous employers will intensify. If the rules are in place it will be down to enforcement and the vigilance of the public, for example, if you were aware that a local employer was illegally employing foreign nationals you wouldn't hesitate to report them would you? Unless of course you are in favour of that sort of thing, the police can't be everywhere, it is down to us all to be on the look out.

The Indians Are Coming.

Qualifying by have scored enough points is only half the battle, you will also need a firm job offer from a UK employer. That is going to be much harder to obtain unless we start some sort of outreach recruitment programme. Also, its skill based on need, so having the points but not matching with the national needs of the moment and you still won't qualify. It is going to be much much harder than you think.

Yes the upside of the coronavirus is the exposing of the interconnected global world (currently being dismantled). The sheer idiocy of shipping our manufacturing half way around the world to keep our own global emissions targets has been an astonishing degree of self- deception. Now we can see the folly of building up China to make ourselves look good to the climate change community. Brexit might go wrong, especially with the negativity of some dragging us all down but one thing is for sure, Brexit is happening.

The Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party

Major offences such as murder and inappropriate use of text message abbreviations would be punished by ritual disembowelment.

In this age of predictive texting I can get on board with this policy - no excuses :)

• We also had to pay for the children they left back in their own countries

Did you not notice that your beloved Tories had capped child benefit to two children>

Yo can rant and run down the EU but forget how prosperous we have become since we became a member, some claim to be the fifth biggest economy in the world

You have swallowed the UKIP and Eurosceptic's bullshit

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Did you not notice that your beloved Tories had capped child benefit to two children>

Yo can rant and run down the EU but forget how prosperous we have become since we became a member, some claim to be the fifth biggest economy in the world

You have swallowed the UKIP and Eurosceptic's bullshit

It’s not about the number of children. It is the concept that it is happening at all.

• It’s not about the number of children. It is the concept that it is happening at all.

I bet the amount pales in insignificance compared with the consequence of leaving the EU. The immigrants to this Country from the EU have the same entitlement as we have, as do the UK immigrants who go to the EU. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• This is brilliant. Keep it going fellas. We're getting a discussion going here.

I don't have time to reply to AS at the moment, but I can assure him very quickly that I do not find Pritti Patel attractive either physically or by any other measure. Her personality has all the warmth and charm of a rotting skunk carcass and it is not her job to root anybody out of the Civil Service. Her role is to accept their advice and take political action in the interests of the country in accordance with that advice which is based on the principals of our unwritten constitution.

If she were to (quote) run through the civil service like a bout of the plague that would be nothing short of a political purge redolent of Soviet style Stalinism.

What are you Tories planning next? A Gulag style labour camp system...?

Gotta dash. Will come back to this.

• I bet the amount pales in insignificance compared with the consequence of leaving the EU. The immigrants to this Country from the EU have the same entitlement as we have, as do the UK immigrants who go to the EU. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours

Nobody is scratching my back and I don’t want to scratch anyone else’s.

• Otherwise known as "no answer"

Not at all. The difference between us Bryan is I put zero value on EU membership. It is a liability not an asset. Therefore I put zero value on my EU citizens rights because I would rather we were all third countries to each other. So I cannot answer your proposition because it isn’t relevant to me or anyone I know.

• Her role is to accept their advice and take political action in the interests of the country in accordance with that advice which is based on the principals of our unwritten constitution.

Not quite. Her role is to consider the advice and then make a decision.

And the role of the Civil Servants is to offer their best advice on implementing the government's manifesto and priorities. Whatever the decision made, it is then for the Civil Servants to implement it.

From what I can make out, the Civil Servant claiming constructive dismissal has been a problem for some time, frequently obstructing politicians of both main parties.

Well done, Pritti for confronting him!

• No, wrong. She accepts the advice because it is accurate and legally enforceable. She MUST accept legitimate, lawful advice to prevent her taking action that may be illegal. What she can do, however, is consider how best to implement it for the benefit of the country (rather than her party and other neo-fascist racists).

Strange thing, this "law". It separates the lawful from the unlawful, an inconvenience I'm quite sure Brexiters would prefer didn't exist and accounts for their support of Pritti Horrible is probably because she would flagrantly disregard it if she could. One more reason the dreadful Boomer generation needs to flush through the system sooner rather than later for the good of us all.