Unemployment Statistics

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Here are latest statistics, which I found interesting reading, https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandl…et/february2020

So, unemployment between 16-64 is presently 3.8% . What I thought quite strange is that England has the highest unemployment with 3.9%, Scotland 3.5%, Wales 2.9%, and Northern Ireland 2.4%. If I had to guess, I would have said Northern Ireland would have had the highest, followed by Wales, Scotland, and then England. Also, London has half a % over the average, coming in at 4.3%, with the North East being the highest 6.1%. Your thoughts

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• I think anyone can manipulate numbers any way they want and it does not reflect reality.

So how do you think it differs, and why would the government choose to manipulate the figures ?

• So how do you think it differs, and why would the government choose to manipulate the figures ?

To persuade the voters that they are dealing with unemployment or conversely why they want to reduce the welfare bill

• Well they are manipulating numbers. Why else have zero hours contracts. These people maybe claiming benefits because they only work one day a week but because they have a job they are considered employed, the same with those part time working just under 16h a week. The lower they can get unemployment figures on paper the better it looks for them. They are also trying to encourage part time work under the label of job sharing. Soon 4 days work a week will be the norm and many will have to have benefits top up of their low wage but on paper it's more people in work.

• Well they are manipulating numbers. Why else have zero hours contracts. These people maybe claiming benefits because they only work one day a week but because they have a job they are considered employed, the same with those part time working just under 16h a week. The lower they can get unemployment figures on paper the better it looks for them. They are also trying to encourage part time work under the label of job sharing. Soon 4 days work a week will be the norm and many will have to have benefits top up of their low wage but on paper it's more people in work.

Some good points there Norra. Unfortunately it's not that simple. Whilst there is a push to get rid of zero hour contracts, they actually suit many people. If your an employer in a seasonal area, it is quite difficult to offer anything else. Needless to say, there are many unscrupulous employers that could offer fixed contracts, but choose not to. I am actually looking for 10/12 hours a week, fixed hours to suit my life, and struggling. Loads of jobs advertising "part time work" but no mention of actual hours. It's a case of you work when we tell you !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!