Sky TV services changes discussion

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I'm not a customer, but I was made aware of this earlier tonight, so I'll post it.

Smithsonian Channel is moving from 195 to 160 on the Sky EPG from this Monday (9th).

A quick search suggests this was the former VH1 slot, so this is ViacomCBS shuffling their own services again, like they did recently with Smithsonian and 5Spike on Freeview.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The long awaited HDR feature will now be rolled out on the latest Sky Q boxes tomorrow (Wednesday) it is anticipated. It will be available on some on demand services, not on live tv.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/medi…ected-to-happen-this-week

Sky is expected to launch content in High Dynamic Range from this Wednesday.

According to ISPReview, the HDR launch will coincide with the debut of the broadcaster’s new channels, Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature.

Sky is expected to introduce HDR using the HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) standard. The vast majority of HDR TVs in use already support HLG, which has been trialled by the BBC on iPlayer, alongside HDR10.

However, the HDR content is not expected to be available for all of Sky’s customers. According to Forbes, the new 1TB and 2TV Sky Q boxes will support HDR, but older Sky Q boxes will not.

It’s also thought HDR will only be available on VoD downloads, not as part of any linear live transmission.

Sky hasn’t officially confirmed the launch, but it also hasn’t denied it.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I'm getting ahead here, but I just saw the Sky Forum post for changes coming up in August.

Wednesday 5th

NOW 90s (368) moves to EPG number (372)
    Clubland (372) moves to EPG number (373)
    NOW 70s (373) moves to EPG number (368)

So now the NOW channels will be in ascending year order...though not all next to each other, yet.

• Apparently Smithsonian Channel is moving from 173 to 171.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://twitter.com/Smithsonia…tatus/1295340448526086149

This stuck me as odd for a few reasons. First if you look futher up this thread it moved to 160 in March. What I hadn't realised was it moved to 173 at the same time BET moved to 195 in April, so it was only at 160 for a matter of weeks.

Second, 171 was Discovery History until June, when it decided to move itself to a worse position alongside Discovery Home & Health and left 171 empty. Why would Discovery vacate a better number, leave it empty for a couple months, then give/sell it to a rival?

• Maybe we will never know!

• Sky is launching more 4K TV series in HDR over the coming weeks.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/…-slate-of-tv-shows-in-hdr

Sky has launched its next slate of on-demand programming in high dynamic range, with more scheduled to arrive in the next month.

Following the three Sky Nature documentaries that landed on the platform in HDR in May, the second season of Sky Atlantic drama Britannia and Sky Original political drama Cobra are now available in the superior picture format.

In the following weeks, four more Sky Originals with be available in HDR: season two of Bulletproof will arrive on 13th August and Save Me Too is slated for "late August", while A Discovery of Witches and the second season of Brassic are pegged for September and "late September" respectively.

• The Smithsonian Channel moved to 171 as expected.

What I wasn't expecting was BET moved to 173 at the same time.

It was those two that got moved to poorer slots back in April, so this is a partial reversal.

Still makes no sense why Discovery did what they did with their channels, and Viacom channels benefit.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!