Sky TV services changes discussion

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't think I have ever even switched over to this channel once? Presumably, its reality tv stuff??

Sort of, but not. Do you remember Current TV? It's a bit like that crossed with Reality with a splash of late night animé. I watched for the animé when it was on VM.

• I don't think I have ever even switched over to this channel once? Presumably, its reality tv stuff??

About bloody time!

Considering they are one of the major Hollywood studios who not inly pumps out films, but tv shows too, they really don't seem to have a clue as to how to distribute all their stuff, or, at least in the UK anyway. Perhaps in other countries Sony has a more cohesive strategy, but I doubt it.

I agree. They do get some good films on Sony Movies. I never tune in to record anything from there simply because its Standard Definition only.

They should also convert Sony Movies Action to HD.

• I agree. They do get some good films on Sony Movies. I never tune in to record anything from there simply because its Standard Definition only.

They should also convert Sony Movies Action to HD.

As I said, they (whoever it is doing this test, it might not be Sony, though probably is) seem to be using standard encoders, rather than these fancy new encoders that give fantastic bitrates. And there is only enough space for this one HD stream on this transponder, based on what I saw on DigitalBitRate.

They'd have to close SD services to do more. Sony have displayed being very money conscious in recent years, especially since their Sony Crime 1 and 2 strategy tanked. They wouldn't want to rent more satellite transponder space, so that leaves the space they already have. Most of their +1s are lower resolution than their main channels on this transponder, the remaining one may follow.

If this HD stream is Sony they'll have to decide whether to do what Premier did with Freesports and go HD-only straight away. I don't think that would be enough to free up space for another HD channel anyway, so there may be little point.

• Apparently, this transponder is operated by Arqiva & this is a test for GB News as opposed to a Sony channel :(

Well that's <X

I thought DBR said it was operated by BSkyB, but I wasn't paying that close attention. As BSkyB are well known as subletting transponders to other broadcasters I didn't go into it.

• Sky is clearly embracing the streaming services now on its satellite service and seem to be pushing forward streets ahead of Virgin Media. Having included Discovery + and Disney+ on Sky Q recently, they are now in discussions to welcome Apple+ as well.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/…y-q_444016.html

When I read the first few words of that I thought it was Sky who were going to be the ones launching streams, or finally launching that rumoured IP-only Sky Q box, rather than other company's apps.

• I think we will be waiting quite a while before that happens, cheeky, but I am sure that this is ultimately what Sky will do.

Some had speculated that since NowTV already fulfills this they'd halted plans for the IP-SkyQ in UK.

SkyQ ain't half being advertised at the moment. Never seen so many ads for it in the breaks. (And being someone who watches a fair amount of prerecorded shows that's saying something if I notice IMHO. :D )

• I don’t think that Now (as they have re-named it) is in any way comparable with the Sky Q. It is Sky’s ‘skinny bundle’ and as such it has only a few pay channels on it (mainly Sky’s own) and it has none of the terrestrials either. The Now box does not offer any other streamers and none of the add-on extras you would expect to find from premium service providers like Sky and Virgin (eg subtitles, audio description, bookmarking/recording, etc).

No, I think Sky is carefully working out how to make the new IP box work financially for them, given they will be moving to an advertisement-free model in the future.

• I don’t think that Now (as they have re-named it) is in any way comparable with the Sky Q. It is Sky’s ‘skinny bundle’ and as such it has only a few pay channels on it (mainly Sky’s own) and it has none of the terrestrials either. The Now box does not offer any other streamers and none of the add-on extras you would expect to find from premium service providers like Sky and Virgin (eg subtitles, audio description, bookmarking/recording, etc).

No, I think Sky is carefully working out how to make the new IP box work financially for them, given they will be moving to an advertisement-free model in the future.

I'm going to keep calling it NOW TV as there are other Now-branded companies and services out there that aren't Sky-owned, and also Now on it's own sounds confusing in discussion as it's a common word.

The PSBs and Terrestrial's have live streams in their apps, but they all accessed differently.

I gave my NOW TV box to relatives and they don't use any of Sky's services on it, just the same PSB/Terrestrial Catch-up/On-demand apps we use on our Roku. Sure the app selection is limited on NOW TV, but it's more than enough for my relatives who have no interest in Pay TV.

• I'm going to keep calling it NOW TV as there are other Now-branded companies and services out there that aren't Sky-owned, and also Now on it's own sounds confusing in discussion as it's a common word.

The PSBs and Terrestrial's have live streams in their apps, but they all accessed differently.

I gave my NOW TV box to relatives and they don't use any of Sky's services on it, just the same PSB/Terrestrial Catch-up/On-demand apps we use on our Roku. Sure the app selection is limited on NOW TV, but it's more than enough for my relatives who have no interest in Pay TV.

Ah, I didn’t realise that; sorry, I was mistaken.

• They did have a Now TV box that also picked up Freeview, not sure why it was discontinued. It was a very good idea.

They only made one model then moved on. It can't have sold well. The market trends may have changed after it came to market though, so they probably thought it had served its purpose.

Shame, it tempted me, I kept an eye out for Reduced to Clear offers but I never had opportunity.

They were Freeview HD and had Pause/Rewind Live TV option, though no recording.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/aud…-1324139/review

• Sky is clearly embracing the streaming services now on its satellite service and seem to be pushing forward streets ahead of Virgin Media. Having included Discovery + and Disney+ on Sky Q recently, they are now in discussions to welcome Apple+ as well.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/…y-q_444016.html

Sky were always ahead of VM on tv which is why I think (as I said in the mergers thread) that VM will morph into another company and that won't include tv.

• Sky were always ahead of VM on tv which is why I think (as I said in the mergers thread) that VM will morph into another company and that won't include tv.

The annoying thing was that Virgin were pulling ahead of Sky on the streamers, with Netflix and Prime. But now, Sky are streets ahead. Just like cable was ahead with on demand for years, but didn’t really develop it.

Very disappointing.

• The annoying thing was that Virgin were pulling ahead of Sky on the streamers, with Netflix and Prime. But now, Sky are streets ahead. Just like cable was ahead with on demand for years, but didn’t really develop it.

Very disappointing.

Is there a comparison list somewhere? I don't dispute Sky have got more of the major apps now, but my impression is that I could probably count them on one hand.

• Sky were always ahead of VM on tv which is why I think (as I said in the mergers thread) that VM will morph into another company and that won't include tv.

I was told ages ago that VM don't make much, if anything, from the TV side of things and that it was only offered to be able to offer triple play to attract customers for the other two profitable services. Now that new companies are emerging that don't offer TV because many people are more interested in the speed/quality of their broadband to facilitate their streaming services, you may well be right.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!