Sky TV services changes discussion

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Various posters discussing the arrival of BBC RB2-6 and HD on Satellite on another forum.

One pointed out that as Discovery is noe the main rights holder, the BBC effectively sublets and the Discovery/BBC Olympic deal allows BBC only two concurrent feeds. So are the BBC going to fill the Red Button streams with non-Live coverage during the Olympics? Or leave them empty? Maybe use them for the sort of non-Olympic content that features on Red Button the rest of the year? There's quite a few events that are streaming RB only via BBC these days.

They typically use the multiple Red Button streams for several other events over the Summer e.g. Wimbledon so they aren't going to go unused for simultaneous Live content.

I'm curious how Discovery is going to utilise their own platforms though. How much is Quest likely to show? Will it mostly be on their Pay services and leave the FTA stuff exclusively to the BBC?

• That's TV Gold, which appeared as slate on Freeview today, will apparently be on Sky channel 187 according to the profile page of their new Twitter account.

Not showing on my ex-Sky box yet, but then information slates aren't something you see on Satellite to the extent you do on Digital Terrestrial. There was talk of a That's TV feed on the Digital Spy Satellite forums recently so I'd imagine that it was related to this.

Edited once, last by cheekyangus: Spelling typo correction (June 22, 2021 at 5:47 PM).

• Fox UK (SD & HD) and Fox UK+1, Ch124 and 224, have now closed closed.

Sky Nature has moved to Ch124.

Some people were expecting Sky-owned channels to shuffle up behind this Sky Nature move, but the vacated Ch130 remains empty.

Likely, as others have suggested, and I agree, because of the likelihood of needing a Top24 EPG position for BBC3's broadcast return and so this move could well be reversed in Spring 2022. No point in causing too much EPG disruption if you know it will require reversed.

• Coming temporarily to Sky EPG

Tuesday 20th

Eurosport 3 HD - 983

Eurosport 4 HD - 984

Eurosport 5 HD - 985

Eurosport 6 HD - 986

Eurosport 7 HD - 987

Eurosport 8 HD - 988

Eurosport 9 HD – 989

• Sky do have Eurosport UHD access but it's not a listed EPG channel, presumably Red Button like UHD tends to be on Sky. Eurosport is using Sky UHD space to broadcast if I understand the posts on Digital Spy correctly.

• Nice. Sky are still on top, feature wise.

Virgin already has voice control on the 360, but not ad-skipping features!

However what both the 360 and the V6 have are watch list (or ‘bookmarking’) features enabling you to add selected programmes to ‘My Shows’ (or ‘Saved’ on the 360), thus avoiding too much recording space being taken up on the hard drive.

On balance, I still prefer Virgin’s system, but they are lagging behind on the apps. Hopefully, we will be getting Disney+ later this year.

• I kinda wish features could be removed. That would be a feature I'd want. No point having 25 exclusive features and 100 in total if most of them are patter. A core of 10 worthwhile ones and leave well alone.

You don’t have to use the features, cheeky, so it doesn’t really matter if they are there or not.

For example, I don’t use the voice feature on my 360 - you only know it’s there because of the voice button on the remote control. However, my wife does use it and finds it easier.

• You don’t have to use the features, cheeky, so it doesn’t really matter if they are there or not.

For example, I don’t use the voice feature on my 360 - you only know it’s there because of the voice button on the remote control. However, my wife does use it and finds it easier.

Though I get your point, and agree to an extent, the more features you have the worse the User Interface often is. There's only limited space to fit the features, so user friendliness can get chucked out the window. Also for some people clutter equals confusion.

Usability is more more important to me than number of features or flashiness. I've got old AV equipment that I'd rather use than the modern equivalent simple because it's better to use.

The best compromise, in my mind, is to have core functionality on full display and a toggle to access the advanced features.

• Some have interpreted the £5 a month for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos as the end of paying extra for HD with Sky. Though it could just be with regards to Sky Glass.

Sky Glass: Sky's new dish-free wi-fi TV service launches - RXTV info
    Sky's new range of wi-fi TV sets will go on sale on 18th October, as it makes its first move to a dish-less service in the UK.
    rxtvinfo.com
    Mike (ex-a516digital) on Twitter
    “With Sky Glass, Sky are no longer charging extra for HD. You'll now need to pay extra for 'Sky Ultra HDR' and Atmos...”
    mobile.twitter.com
  • Some have interpreted the £5 a month for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos as the end of paying extra for HD with Sky. Though it could just be with regards to Sky Glass.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/sky-glass…-fi-tv-launches

https://mobile.twitter.com/a516digital/st…069563179913220

Unless I am missing something, with Sky Glass, this sounds like a return to the days of Rumbelows and Radio Rentals....

• It's rental, or at least that's one option.

Many people used to rent tvs and video recorders and other white goods from the likes of Radio Rentals, but that was something in the past. I don't understand why Comcast/Sky has decided that this is a model to bring back.

Netflix keeps things simple. You pay a fee for a month and you can either continue with the service or cancel at the end of the month. Easy. Likewise, devices like firesticks are simple to use and relatively cheap and if new tech comes along, it's not too expensive to replace them. Yet Sky has chosen this very complicated way of doing things. Firstly, making tvs, then having the SkyQ tech built into them and then having rental options. What a mess.

What I had expected from Sky was a merged Peacock and Now tv service. One streamer for a monthly price that can easily be cancelled and one little streaming stick/dongle. Instead we have this.

It will be interesting to see how successful this service is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!