Sky TV services changes discussion

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Honestly I hadn't read the rental bit, my mind shut off as soon as I saw the "tv with built-in..." :sleeping: as I didn't see the point of paying several hundred quid and then being locked into a Sky sub on top of that implied by the headlines and bullet points.

They'll probably bung in a Peakcock app on Now TV devices and a Peacock folder in their app, and then eventually rebrand the whole of NowTV to Peacock in a few years time after a brief interim Now-named service with a Peacock logo.

I remember the rental firms, and somehow they still exist, though not nearly as many of them.

• Sky has gone, or I should say Comcast, in a direction that I would not have expected. Even Apple and Amazon don't have their own branded tvs and certainly not ones where you cant rent them, so I just find this move totally bizarre.

Netflix, despite all pundits analysis to the contrary, is still the streamer to beat above Disney et all and on devices, Amazon are fighting it out with the likes of Google and Roku to be the "gatekeeper."

I just don't know where Comcast think their positioning themselves now between these beasts. But if you had said to me last month, that Sky is going to come out with a tv rental option, I would've said you were barmy.

• Yes, it is odd, but if a large number of Sky viewers go for it, that's more income for Sky. It's not good from the customer's point of view though, because as cheeky says, it means you are locked into Sky.

A Roku TV would be better in my view, and I think I read somewhere that these are coming to the UK next year. I'll check that.

[EDIT]

Roku TVs are in the UK now - you can get them at Curry's!

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-tv

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Seems like an attempt by sky to destroy free TV services, slightly cynical view on my part. But they more or less bid other service providers out of showing sports.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Sky had a stake in Roku, sensible given they were using Roku tech for NowTV, and through that Comcast probably still do. So there's an element of win-win (for them at least).

• This link lists the streamers that will be available on Sky Glass from the outset.

Sky Glass TV: Full List Of Streaming Apps Revealed | Cord Busters
    Sky’s new TV will include several streaming apps and services - from Netflix and Prime Video to Discovery+ and Spotify. Here’s the full list
    www.cordbusters.co.uk

BBC iPlayer

ITV Hub

All4

STV

Netflix

Prime

Disney+

Discovery+

YouTube

YouTube Kids

Spotify

BBC Sounds

Radio Player

Global Player

XITE

VEVO

Peloton

Sky Kids Games

Play works

GolfPass

Tastemade

Highbrow

A little disappointing, really. No sign of Britbox, Acorn TV, StarzPlay, Apple+….or any of the sports apps.

• I am definitely not convinced by Sky Glass. It’s not the Best Buy.

There is no comparison with Roku TV, which has access to a huge number of streamers compared to the limited number available on Glass, and the only advantage I can see is that you can access live TV on Glass without an aerial.

Roku
    Roku provides the simplest way to stream entertainment to your TV. On your terms. With thousands of available channels to choose from.
    support.roku.com

• I am definitely not convinced by Sky Glass. It’s not the Best Buy.

There is no comparison with Roku TV, which has access to a huge number of streamers compared to the limited number available on Glass, and the only advantage I can see is that you can access live TV on Glass without an aerial.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115005469427

Not even that. Its only advantage over likes of Roku is easy access to Live Channels, not the access itself as most Apps from the broadcasters have Live Channel access somewhere within, it's just not as quick or intuitive as the Glass interface.

Also, once IP Fallback, now it's been given the OK, is more prevalent, and depending on how it's implemented, Freeview TVs and boxes in the future will do the same job without an aerial.

• The live channels on the Roku come up with a tap on the live TV logo. I don’t see that as being a problem.

Where Sky Glass is superior is with its access to the Sky Q EPG, which I agree is impressive. However, that does not sway me, but that’s probably because I rarely select anything from the EPG except to record - and even then, I’m more reliant on selecting stuff from on demand. For me, the live TV channels are an increasing irrelevance, and I think the wider population will eventually come to the same conclusion.

As far as the Freeview box is concerned, that still won’t compete well with the Roku TV, because the choice of streaming services will be much more limited.

• The live channels on the Roku come up with a tap on the live TV logo. I don’t see that as being a problem.

Where Sky Glass is superior is with its access to the Sky Q EPG, which I agree is impressive. However, that does not sway me, but that’s probably because I rarely select anything from the EPG except to record - and even then, I’m more reliant on selecting stuff from on demand. For me, the live TV channels are an increasing irrelevance, and I think the wider population will eventually come to the same conclusion.

As far as the Freeview box is concerned, that still won’t compete well with the Roku TV, because the choice of streaming services will be much more limited.

|| Ooops I forgot the Roku TV interface was slightly different. I switched the buttons off on my Rokus as they don't have integrated TV tuners.

I get the impression most people will only really want the big name services so Freeview with IP would do all they'd want.

I didn't say Sky Glass was impressive, I said it was quicker and easier (ok intuitive if I'm being pedantic). Being better doesn't necessarily equate to the same thing as impressive.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!