Covid-19 Lockdown Survival Tips

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Deliberately placed in General Discussion because I have no idea where this thread will meander, no doubt Horizon will move it as he sees appropriate.

The point of the the thread is to collate intelligence that we can all benefit from during the lockdown, especially with regard to things that will likely become a problem for somebody somewhere? I'll start the ball rolling with a few questions and everyone else just add answers or more questions. This is aimed at being a non-political thread that provides useful information. Can we all play nicely? All historic feuds and differences of opinion to be left at the door please, we can actually help each other as decent human beings.

1. My car needs a new battery or I need to get a new tyre or have a puncture fixed, where can I get these services today? Are garages closed, is Halfords closed?

2. My car breaks down, are the rescue services still on call out?

3. I need an emergency plumber, I have water pouring through my ceiling, or my central heating has broken. Can I get help as normal?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• As always in a crisis its the basic stuff that truly matters. There are millions of people who have illnesses not COV 19... they must get assistance. Self isolation will not work.

Should a Plumber risk catching the virus by visiting homes?

There is new provision for car MOT tests push back on dates etc no doubt the institutions will get on track and we may see action plans.

• Garages should all be closed as well has Halfords and all those kind of places

If your car breaks down then tough luck, get out and catch a horse unless it has broken down where it will obstruct emergency services getting through or it's in some precarious dangerous situation in which case the Police will organise to tow it away into storage in the pound then charge you a hefty storage fee for storing it for three weeks or whenever we are allowed out so you can collect it or organise a garage to collect it when they are next allowed to open.

Plumber I guess for emergency especially for things like gas, heating and essential services would be allowed.

• Plumber I guess for emergency especially for things like gas, heating and essential services would be allowed.

That's what they said on TV this morning, t's classed as am emergency if you have a leak or boiler breakdown

• The Government has announced a six-month extension for all car and van MoTs in the UK.

Cars and vans that are due an MoT from 30 March will automatically get a six-month extension, which means people will not have to visit their local garage if they are experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus or living with someone who is vulnerable to the disease.

Check your car's MOT history

The move comes after car dealers called for a three-month moratorium on MoT testing in a bid to reduce social contact. The Government has already suspended the annual roadworthiness test for heavy goods vehicles, buses and trailers.

Have all MoT tests been cancelled?

No, MoT test centres will continue to remain open and operate as normal. This means drivers can still take their car for an MoT test, but must stay at home if they (or someone they live with) has coronavirus symptoms or is vulnerable to Covid-19.

My car's MoT is due to take place before 30 March, what should I do?

Car owners are generally advised to have their car MoT'd as normal. However, if you are showing symptoms of the coronavirus or living with someone who is considered high risk to the disease, you are advised to stay at home and take your car for its MoT when the self-isolation period is over. The Department for Transport has told HonestJohn.co.uk it is working with insurers and the police to ensure drivers are not unfairly penalised for not being able to get an MoT.

My car has failed its MoT recently, will I get an automatic six month MoT extension?

No. If your car or van has failed the MoT you will be required to fix the car and have it retested. It will not qualify for the automatic six month extension.

My MoT is due on or after 30 March, what do I need to do?

Nothing, the MoT will automatically be renewed for six months. This means an MoT that was due on 3 April will automatically be extended until 3 October.

My car is three years old and its first MoT is due, what happens now?

Your car will automatically be given a six month exemption from the date its first MoT was due (which will be three years after it was first registered).

Can I drive my car after the MoT has expired?

Only if your MoT is due on or after 30 March. Cars and vans with an MoT that expires before 30 March cannot legally be used on the road unless they are being driven to a pre-booked MoT appointment. If your MoT is on or after 30 March you may receive a letter from the DVSA that will advise of the new MoT renewal date. Alternatively, car owners can sign up for free MoT reminders via Honest John Homepages. The new MoT renewal date may take a few days to be processed by the DVSA so check back regularly if it hasn't changed.

Can I tax my car during the six month MoT extension?

Yes, you can tax your vehicle as normal once the MoT details for your vehicle has been updated by the DVSA.

How long will these new MoT rules be in place for?

A minimum of six months, until 30 September. However, vehicle owners are reminded that they will continue to be responsible for the roadworthiness of their vehicle. You can be fined up to £2500, be banned from driving and get three penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Display Less

• Official Post

3. I need an emergency plumber, I have water pouring through my ceiling, or my central heating has broken. Can I get help as normal?

As I had water gushing out my boiler last month after the plumber had just "fixed" it, so he had to come back, I would quite like to know this too.

• As I had water gushing out my boiler last month after the plumber had just "fixed" it, so he had to come back, I would quite like to know this too.

According to the experts on GMB a plumber can attend for an emergency such as you describe but not to give you a quote or rip out your old bathroom for a new one

Any that do attend must keep the required 2 ms distance

An important question to GMB this morning, "can my cleaner carry on as normal" !!!

• Official Post

Garages should all be closed as well has Halfords and all those kind of places

If your car breaks down then tough luck, get out and catch a horse unless it has broken down where it will obstruct emergency services getting through or it's in some precarious dangerous situation in which case the Police will organise to tow it away into storage in the pound then charge you a hefty storage fee for storing it for three weeks or whenever we are allowed out so you can collect it or organise a garage to collect it when they are next allowed to open.

Plumber I guess for emergency especially for things like gas, heating and essential services would be allowed.

At our local French store, they are completely out of horse.

• At our local French store, they are completely out of horse.

What is this thing the Brits have about eating horse?

They eat it in France and Belgium - it is just meat after all. My mother always had a thing about pies being stuffed with "bleedin horse meat", I presume from wartime experience I have eaten cold horse meat Belgium, just like eating beef

• Official Post

What is this thing the Brits have about eating horse?

They eat it in France and Belgium - it is just meat after all. My mother always had a thing about pies being stuffed with "bleedin horse meat", I presume from wartime experience I have eaten cold horse meat Belgium, just like eating beef

It's just the thought of eating any animal that can be kept as a pet or where we have a strong relationship with them.

That's one of the reasons you don't find dog on dinner plates in this country. The Chinese, however, have no such qualms...

• Surely farmers have a strong relationship with their animals, they have to if they care about the welfare of their animals

Whenever there is a foot and mouth outbreak and flocks are slaughtered we see very distressed farmers or are they just upset because they losing money

• Official Post

Surely farmers have a strong relationship with their animals, they have to if they care about the welfare of their animals

Whenever there is a foot and mouth outbreak and flocks are slaughtered we see very distressed farmers or are they just upset because they losing money

They do, but they are used to it. Most of them were raised on farms.

• Garages should all be closed as well has Halfords and all those kind of places

30/03/20 there are several garages around me are still open, and don't see a reason why they shouldn't be. As a country we need to take measures, but we shouldn't be shutting down society or the economy. I would imagine finding a plumber is possible, but no doubt they will cash in on the situation. If the prime minister can work through Covid-19 I see no reason why we can't get an MOT

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!