How Has The Shutdown Changed Your Life

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • You can be forgiven for thinking that the Covid-19 shutdown has made a massive change for everyone, but has it. Although retired, I am still very active. I play golf four or five times a week, have golfing days out, have just had two holidays cancelled, and go to my local pub every day for a few pints in the afternoon. I now find myself vegetating at home. OK, I have done a bit of DIY, a bit of gardening, cleaned the cars, and gone for a few walks. I am having to talk to my wife all day, and to be honest have never found that I have much in common with women. In short, I am presently hating my life, whereas before I loved it. For many people this isn't the case. For example, I have a friend who is only 51, but retired. Him and his wife are joined at the hip, and apart from holidays the only time they go out is to go shopping and walk the dog. In short, his life is pretty much the same. The elderly couple who live next door are pretty much the same, less the walking dog bit.

So, what impact has all this nonsense had on you ?

White lives matter

• That must be fun but your local pub should be shut !

Read the thread Bryan. Of course it is shut, as is the golf course, and therefore my life has changed.

White lives matter

• Read the thread Bryan. Of course it is shut, as is the golf course, and therefore my life has changed.

You say in your post "go my local pub every day for a few pints in the afternoon"

So make up your mind, is it shut or open?

• Major change for me is having the OH round the house during the day. We can't even go out to the pub for a pint, see friends and the staff.

Just glad the house is well stocked with food and my bank account is healthy.

I have some work to do for a client but it's writing some "C" code and I don't yet need any hardware to run it on so it's all abstract stuff. The manufacturer of the ARM processor has supplied some drivers but they're so abstracted and obfuscated that I'm going to have to write my own set.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• You say in your post "go my local pub every day for a few pints in the afternoon"

So make up your mind, is it shut or open?

Bryan, read it again. I told you what my day to day routine is, and then went on to say what I do NOW. Really, it's not rocket science

White lives matter

• It's not nice being stuck indoors all day when the weather is inclement, but when the sun shines, at least I can get out into the garden.

I make a point of going for a walk every day, and I also walk to our local shop to get groceries. If we need a prescription or other medication, I walk to the chemist.

As for the rest of the day, I manage to find bits and pieces to do - nothing exciting - but by breaking the day up with these things helps to pass the time. I might write an article for our residents' association magazine or update our website, get rid of some of our TV recordings which have been on there for a while and will probably never be watched now, make the bed, etc. Just mundane things, but I've got through the first week without getting suicidal. Only 11+ to go.....:rolleyes:

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• It's not nice being stuck indoors all day when the weather is inclement, but when the sun shines, at least I can get out into the garden.

I make a point of going for a walk every day, and I also walk to our local shop to get groceries. If we need a prescription or other medication, I walk to the chemist.

As for the rest of the day, I manage to find bits and pieces to do - nothing exciting - but by breaking the day up with these things helps to pass the time. I might write an article for our residents' association magazine or update our website, get rid of some of our TV recordings which have been on there for a while and will probably never be watched now, make the bed, etc. Just mundane things, but I've got through the first week without getting suicidal. Only 11+ to go.....:rolleyes:

Does this vary much from before ?

White lives matter

• Does this vary much from before ?

God, yes! I miss not getting out and about and my wife gets stir crazy if she's in the house for just a day!

This quarantine thing is doing our heads in!

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• God, yes! I miss not getting out and about and my wife gets stir crazy if she's in the house for just a day!

This quarantine thing is doing our heads in!

I guess you spend a lot of time with your wife then, so at least that hasn't changed much. Since I retired I developed a life that in some ways reflects my working life. In general I don't get to see her much until early evening, which is more than enough thank you. Now I have no option, and am missing the company and humour of mates. I am finding myself staring at the patio and wondering what could be buried under it with a bit of effort ^^

White lives matter

• I guess you spend a lot of time with your wife then, so at least that hasn't changed much. Since I retired I developed a life that in some ways reflects my working life. In general I don't get to see her much until early evening, which is more than enough thank you. Now I have no option, and am missing the company and humour of mates. I am finding myself staring at the patio and wondering what could be buried under it with a bit of effort ^^

Given your posts I'm guessing your wife must be delighted with your lifestyle;)

I'm tempted to ask why on earth you got married !

• It has changed our lifestyle. Shopping habits have changed, I had appointment referrals to consultants which I have been waiting for at our general hospital but have cancelled for obvious reasons (the booking clerk was surprised !!). Visiting family, and friends , and neighbours has stopped, we have suddenly become extremely popular with elderly and disabled neighbours for shopping and popping repeat prescription into chemists and collecting meds Even simple things like recycling we can no longer do as usual because our local centre is closed

Life will never be the same again :(

• Work involves a lot of financial research and staring at the screen but working from home is not my thing. Can't go do the regular trips to Europe. Can't play tennis; can't do weekend family visits; can't go to club on Fridays. Not much effect -- yet -- on food shopping.

But the biggest change is the feeling of vulnerability and of decline. Actually, diminution is the world. First Brexit has given me a feeling of relegation; then Covid19 is now giving me a sense how minute we all are.

• So, what impact has all this nonsense had on you ?

None.

I'm a carer 24/7 to my mum and rarely go out, so it makes no difference to me at all, except the worry that my mum might catch this as she has to attend dialysis three times a week.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It has changed our lifestyle. Shopping habits have changed,

We stocked up before the lockdown and glad we did, but I've noticed there are no delivery slots for tescos for the next three weeks in my area, so once the freezers are emptied, then it gets "interesting".

• We stocked up before the lockdown and glad we did, but I've noticed there are no delivery slots for tescos for the next three weeks in my area, so once the freezers are emptied, then it gets "interesting".

Our Tescos here are well stocked again, even with toilet paper. We have started shopping in the evenings - no queues, just stocked shelves. and very few shoppers

• My life has gone through a lot of change this year already. It was only in January that I went back to work after nearly 7 years of being a stay at home mum. It's been difficult to adjust, not only for me, but for my daughter who has always had her mum there for her. Before, my wife was the breadwinner in our family, but until things normalise she's off work and I'm doing all the earning. It's a topsy-turvey kind of time for us. We've had to cancel our programmed visit to my family in London for my cousin's engagement. That party will go ahead at another time. We're not sure if the lockdown will have ended by August when we plan to go to Brighton for Gay Pride....our first Pride since I got pregnant....

Lots of little things change. My daughter isn't happy that her swimming club is cancelled and she's missing her school friends. She loves school. My wife likes going out to eat and we can't do that. We can't see her parents at weekends for Sunday lunch together, which we do quite often. There is no rugby club on a Saturday or netball in midweek, which we both enjoy. We both miss our gym keep fit sessions and coastal path / clifftop runs. Wife is worried about her parents. They are both in their mid 60s now and her father had major heart surgery just a couple of years ago. She can't go to visit them and that's hard for her.

Lots of things are being put on hold and although it's disruptive to our lives, when you put it all into proportion, most things are more of an inconvenience than a catastrophe. I feel sorry for those families who really are having their lives turned upside down, for example, single mums who have to balance work and children, and live on a shoestring budget. They may find themselves having been laid off work and often, have no family support network.

What have we got to complain about...? A missed round of golf..?? I'm sure their hearts bleed for you.

in view of the bigger picture, my immediate family is not too badly off. Sure, we wish it wasn't happening and of course, we don't want the lurgy coming into our house, but we're doing all we can to make the best of the situation and keep smiling.

Life has changed. But it will change back in the end. The question is, what will be the long term, lasting effect of the pandemic...? That's going to be the big question when the time comes.

• I have a very significant birthday in April for which a lavish party was planned but is now cancelled

I know we can celebrate later but it will not be the same, and who knows if I will live to see it !

• I have a very significant birthday in April for which a lavish party was planned but is now cancelled

I know we can celebrate later but it will not be the same, and who knows if I will live to see it !

Unless you choke on a crisp or something, of course you will! Just abide by the social distancing guidelines. (And yes, I do remember what you have posted about your lungs on this site, keep well.)

Happy significant (whatever it maybe) birthday for next month.:)

• Unless you choke on a crisp or something, of course you will! Just abide by the social distancing guidelines. (And yes, I do remember what you have posted about your lungs on this site, keep well.)

Happy significant (whatever it maybe) birthday for next month.:)

Thanks, it begins with an 8 and ends with a 0 ^^

• On the 26th a few days ago, my dad would've been 80 if he'd still been around now.

Congratulations on this significant milestone.:)

• Work involves a lot of financial research and staring at the screen but working from home is not my thing. Can't go do the regular trips to Europe. Can't play tennis; can't do weekend family visits; can't go to club on Fridays. Not much effect -- yet -- on food shopping.

But the biggest change is the feeling of vulnerability and of decline. Actually, diminution is the world. First Brexit has given me a feeling of relegation; then Covid19 is now giving me a sense how minute we all are.

Brexit is the only thing keeping a smile on my face

White lives matter

• Thanks, it begins with an 8 and ends with a 0 ^^

80 is a lovely age. You will be looked over by the 80 Angel, who brings abundance, gratitude and generosity.

It is a sign from your angels that your rewards and high achievements are recognised. Your angels are always looking for ways they can help you to achieve your highest good.

Congratulations. Enjoy the party when it becomes possible to have it.

• 80 is a lovely age. You will be looked over by the 80 Angel, who brings abundance, gratitude and generosity.

It is a sign from your angels that your rewards and high achievements are recognised. Your angels are always looking for ways they can help you to achieve your highest good.

Congratulations. Enjoy the party when it becomes possible to have it.

To further gild the lily I think my pension goes up by 25p a week

The financial adviser is working out my best way of investing this :rolleyes:

• You are such a killjoy!

A killjoy of joys that kill.

However.... my having made that point in fair response to OB's post, the subject matter of this thread is how Coronavirus has changed our lives and I for one think it would be appropriate to stick to the subject matter rather than incur anybody's wrath by drifting off topic. Just sayin'.

Of course, any pandemic and the response to it is sure to have an effect on people's lives, mostly by preventing them being shortened unnecessarily. I call that a good thing.

Nobody likes being ordered to adopt a lifestyle change - even a temporary one. We are social mammals and don't like to be caged even if it is in our own homes. But it's worth pointing out the glaringly obvious to those who seem to have lost sight of it. The lockdown has two aims. 1) to prevent individuals contracting the disease, and 2) to prevent those who have it from passing it to others.

You may not be bothered about whether or not you catch Coronavirus....... and ignoring the lockdown does increase your chances of doing so......... but other people who you could come into contact with may not want to catch it from you.

The question here is; Is one individual's personal liberty to roam freely more important than the safety of every person that he or she comes into contact with?

The state not only has a duty to protect the individual from the crowd, but it also has a duty to protect the crowd from the individual.

I've read a number of rather bizarre false comparisons on this thread such as comparing smoking and driving cars to Coronavirus and suggesting that, as those things can cause death and suffering too, should they not be banned...? Well, not for the first time, I'll state the glaringly bleedin' obvious to the forum and say that the government CAN'T "ban"catching Coronavirus. Nobody can ban an organism from doing what it does, which is to invade a host as its means to survive. The fact that such invasion of other living organisms has a detrimental effect on the host is of no interest to the organism. It just don't give a damn.

So...... bearing in mind the fact that we can't legislate the virus from doing what it does, what can we do...? Well, we can put in attritional measures that reduce as much as possible its ABILITY to do what it does.

Now... what this amounts to is as different to the false comparison of smoking... driving... etc as its possible to get. Those comparisons hang in the air in the same way that a brick doesn't. Smoking and driving are voluntary. Coronavirus isn't.

In both of those examples my personal behaviour is to a) not smoke. b) drive safely. I can't do anything about other people, but I maintain vigilance while driving to avoid getting into dangerous situations.

The result of these actions is that to date I do not a) have nicotine addiction, lung cancer or heart disease and b) I have never caused or been the victim of a road traffic accident. I do, however, have an un-dented car, a spotless licence and a full no claims discount. Go figure.

How does all this relate to lifestyle changes due to the coronavirus pandemic..? it's simple and I'm surprised that I'm having to write all this, but from the comments on this thread its obvious that somebody has to.....

How do we win the (for want of a better phrase) "war" on Coronavirus? By attrition, that's how. We prevent it spreading as much as possible so that as few people as possible are infected and possibly killed in order to buy time that will enable an effective vaccine to be developed which will lead to an innoculation programme that protects the public from this particular viral strain forever.

We win. Yaaaayyyy humans..!!

During this "buying time" phase, we're all being inconvenienced. And we don't like it. The golf courses are closed. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. I don't get to play netball either. I'm miffed by that but I can live with it.

My life, and the life of my family has been altered and I don't it. But I like even less the prospect of myself, or worse, my loved ones, contracting the disease.

I'm not going to buck against the programme. I'm going to do my civic duty, follow the rules, stay as safe as possible and not be the sort of prat who thinks that my liberty negates my duty to society.

I'll suck it up, buttercup. And I won't indulge in daft, false comparisons.

Message ends.

• And while in shutdown maybe we should give the following article some thought.

Yuval Noah Harari: the world after coronavirus | Free to read

https://www.ft.com/content/19d…58-11ea-a3c9-1fe6fedcca75

I don't think we will change significantly, we will simple revert to our ingrained way of life. The government may try to impose financial restrictions on us to pay for the "Deficit" but I think this society has had enough of that