The Full English Breakfast - Rogue Items.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I think it's time we had a thread that we can all relate to on a non-partisan basis. One that will be of great importance to all good Britons, male and female. I think this is a subject that deserves discussion.

When it comes to the full English breakfast.... this breakfast of kings..... the contents are pretty consistent.

Bacon (indispensable), sausage, egg (fried, poached or scrambled), beans, mushrooms, tomatoes (grilled or fried) possibly black pudding and maybe a hash brown or two

However, I have read that a woman on Twitter has produced a picture of her full English, which includes garden peas..!! =O

Some respondents have commented that peas have no place in a full English breakfast. I know that I would never add peas.

Some were more forgiving and said we should give peas a chance (pun intended). ^^

The only rogue (rogue??) item I would add to the above list is fried bread, although I personally don't have it. I can feel my arteries clogging at the mere thought of it, but I accept that for some people it is a necessary addition.

Who is with me on this matter..? And do any of you indulge in 'rogue items' in your full English...?

Also, in this important, great debate we should also decide which beverage should be used to wash this early morning feast. Tea or coffee...?

I am aware of the gravity of this thread and and it's importance to our national culture. I believe that due deference should be afforded to this prince of British traditions.

Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen. :)

• We don't have beans in the full but good dry cure smoked back bacon ( No white muck ), eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, Scottish* black pudding and hash browns figure.

* Stornoway is the best, prefer the oats and barley. The seasoning and the invisible fat.

Lidl do a really nice one.

• Black pudding makes me gag just looking at

Fried bread is delicious, it can be just as good fried in veg oil rather than dripping - a lot healthier

No fried breakfast tastes as good as one cooked whilst camping :P

• Although I am 62 years old, I have been a vegetarian since the age of 6. To make things worse, I don't like eggs, cheese, mushrooms, or cooked tomatoes. My idea of a good cooked breakfast is beans on toast with a few hash browns thrown in.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Well if we are going to be pedantic about a "full English breakfast" then it shouldn't include hash browns as they are an American invention. :P 8)

I think baked beans were as well

• We have all become "veggies" over breakfast

Not so many years ago breakfast was always something cooked, eggs bacon, kippers etc

Along came Mr Kellog and we are all eating cereals

• We have all become "veggies" over breakfast

Not so many years ago breakfast was always something cooked, eggs bacon, kippers etc

Along came Mr Kellog and we are all eating cereals

I should think it's one of the reasons we are living longer

• Peas can get thrown in and mashed up with the bubble. I do like a full English but I'm in the boat of eat what you want when you want and there are no set times. I am more likely to have a fry up in the late afternoon or when coming home from the pub rather than for breakfast. There's only one necessity for breakfast and that's Coffee and then maybe stretch to a couple of slices of Toast and Marmite while waiting for the kettle to boil. There used to be a time when I would go to a working man's cafe in the early morning before work and I would typically have double egg, chips or bubble, beans, mushrooms and two slices of buttered bread. Sadly the classic greasy spoons style working man's cafe's are mostly closing down and now they are all snobby coffee shop/cafe type places. Cafe's seem to be disappearing like the old pie n mash shops.

• We too often have eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, all pan fried with chips for our evening meal along with bread and butter for a chip buttie

Many times I have tried to do bubble and squeak but never succeeded, always finish up with a pan full of mush

• Peas can get thrown in and mashed up with the bubble. I do like a full English but I'm in the boat of eat what you want when you want and there are no set times. I am more likely to have a fry up in the late afternoon or when coming home from the pub rather than for breakfast. There's only one necessity for breakfast and that's Coffee and then maybe stretch to a couple of slices of Toast and Marmite while waiting for the kettle to boil. There used to be a time when I would go to a working man's cafe in the early morning before work and I would typically have double egg, chips or bubble, beans, mushrooms and two slices of buttered bread. Sadly the classic greasy spoons style working man's cafe's are mostly closing down and now they are all snobby coffee shop/cafe type places. Cafe's seem to be disappearing like the old pie n mash shops.

Up until recently pie and mash shops were opening up all over the place, they had become very trendy. They even do veggie options now. Yeah, petty about the greasy spoons, but people have become so stupid they are prepared to spend £3 on a cup of coffee, what's that all about ?

• but people have become so stupid they are prepared to spend £3 on a cup of coffee, what's that all about ?

Rip off Britain, when we are smothered by corporations taking over and wiping out the smaller traditional ways they have the market and push prices up to whatever they want as we have no other choice.

• Rip off Britain, when we are smothered by corporations taking over and wiping out the smaller traditional ways they have the market and push prices up to whatever they want as we have no other choice.

That's private enterprise, hope your not suggesting we nationalise coffee shops? It's supply and demand, if people are stupid enough to pay £3 for a cup of coffee that's through their own stupidity. If nobody went into these places they would soon lower their prices

• It's not through stupidity it's through lack of choice. No we can't privatise coffee shops but we can break down the multi national corporations. Start heavily taxing the likes of Starbucks and all the others for starters and giving the smaller family run businesses an easier time of it. Maybe tax them on the quantity of how many shops they have, the more they have the more they get taxed. Lets see how many Starbucks there are in the high streets then.

• It's not through stupidity it's through lack of choice. No we can't privatise coffee shops but we can break down the multi national corporations. Start heavily taxing the likes of Starbucks and all the others for starters and giving the smaller family run businesses an easier time of it. Maybe tax them on the quantity of how many shops they have, the more they have the more they get taxed. Lets see how many Starbucks there are in the high streets then.

I have to say I love Starbucks, especially their Cappuccino. My treat at Alicante airport before boarding

They are very good and popular which is why they are everywhere. I agree that they should pay their whack of tax

The more successful a business becomes the more they get taxed. That's not much of an intensive to grow and create more employment, is it?

Simple, if you want the government to have more money, tell them to stop giving to the feckless, lazy, and disabled. That way we can cut taxes, rather than increase them

• Rather late to the party on this but we have full English most weekends but never fried. Sausages are baked in the oven and the bacon is grilled, the eggs are poached on toast (never fried bread) and yes we have hash browns and baked beans. We usually include mushrooms which have to be fried but are patted down with kitchen roll to remove excess oils. Final ingredient is of course the mandatory Tomato Ketchup ....Heinz of course.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I've been known to scoff a whole packet of Jaffa Cakes for breakfast. They go down well with a mug of Coffee. There's nothing wrong with Chocolate. I can easily eat a few tablespoons of chocolate spread. It used to be Nutella but I use a better spread now that is not based on palm oil and full of so much sugar. Strangely my chocolate spread addiction has been reduced. There used to be a time when I could eat half a big jar of Nuttela. I would spoon it straight out of the jar and into my mouth.

• I've been known to scoff a whole packet of Jaffa Cakes for breakfast. They go down well with a mug of Coffee. There's nothing wrong with Chocolate. I can easily eat a few tablespoons of chocolate spread. It used to be Nutella but I use a better spread now that is not based on palm oil and full of so much sugar. Strangely my chocolate spread addiction has been reduced. There used to be a time when I could eat half a big jar of Nuttela. I would spoon it straight out of the jar and into my mouth.

Tell me Norra, are you a fat git ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!