America's relationship with its black population

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I never had the chance, in my time you paid - there were no grants or bursaries

Uni was just for the rich

I regret that I couldn't go

I have no regrets about not going to uni. I am sure most people these days go for the social life rather than get educated.

I went straight from school to employment, and I studied part time at college. By the time those in the same year as me came out, I had already worked my way into a better salary than they were able to earn, much to their chagrin.

A degree these days isn't even worth that much, although once upon a time it was the key to getting a good job. Nowadays a 2.2 is little more than confirmation you attended and you end up with a huge debt which you must live to regret after a few years and wonder if it is all worth it.

In my opinion, it isn't. Employers these days look for experience and professional qualifications, not degrees.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I went straight from school to employment, and I studied part time at college. By the time those in the same year as me came out, I had already worked my way into a better salary than they were able to earn, much to their chagrin.

That wasn't my experience

People worked hard to gain experience, probably studied at college and night school to obtain qualifications only to find someone with a degree turning up for management positions

• That wasn't my experience

People worked hard to gain experience, probably studied at college and night school to obtain qualifications only to find someone with a degree turning up for management positions

I appreciate it wasn't the same in all parts of the country. I have lived in the south east all my life, so I guess opportunities are better here.

Hopefully, the coronavirus emergency measures do not lead to a watering down of measures to breathe economic life into the less well off areas of the UK.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I appreciate it wasn't the same in all parts of the country. I have lived in the south east all my life, so I guess opportunities are better here.

Billions will be thrown at the North West and East to try and hang on to those who voted Tory, but it will be wasted

• I never had the chance, in my time you paid - there were no grants or bursaries

Uni was just for the rich

I regret that I couldn't go

I thought we were of a similar age. When I was growing up university was free, but only for the gifted. Now all you have to do is be able to spell your name and they are ready to take your money

• When I left school university was for the academic elite the top 10% or less. You got a grant to cover some/most of your costs and you didn’t have to pay it back.

I didn’t go to university and nobody I knew at the time did either. Nobody from my school year did to my knowledge. We all got apprenticeships or other vocational training and worked our way up.

There is a glass ceiling in large organisations for those without a degree. It eventually becomes an issue that will hold you back but for most that never becomes a real problem.

As you get older you work smarter not harder. Working for your personal needs and comfort create a better work/life balance than trying to climb the corporate ladder.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Topic please which is:

America's relationship with its black population

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!