British Government Abandons Hope of a Trade Deal With EU By The End of This Year

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Dare I say it...... We told you so. And as expected, the government uses this signal of abject failure to give a first outing of its "It's Covid 19 wot's to blame, Guv" stance. Pathetic, mealy-mouthed excuse making for a group of dishonest charlatans who never had any intention of negotiating reasonably. Johnson signed up to the Level Playing Field in the Withdrawal Agreement and promptly reneged on it. He has lied and lied and lied. It's all he knows how to do. The EU will waste no more time on us. And I don't blame them.

Britain Abandons Hope of EU Trade Deal

I'd go as far as to say that, once we are ensconced in World Trade Organisation rules, the only thing that will ever get us out of them will be to re-join the EU (if they'll have us). I look forward to the day an enlightened British government apologises for all the misery these Tories have caused and starts to behave seriously, honestly and responsibly for the good of the country instead of it's own party interests. It may take a while, but it will happen in my lifetime of that I'm sure.

Recently, Angela Merkel made it quite clear that the EU will show Britain no favour over trade. We've made our bed and we're going to have to lie in it. We're a mouse going up against a lion. And the lion is pissed off with us. They were never going to give Britain the 'Cake and Eat It' deal that we demanded, and at no point did we ever hold any of, much less all, the cards.

Merkel: Britain Must Live With The Consequences of It's Actions

So....... what about all those Brexiter lies and all that dishonesty.... all that false hope of a glorious future..... all those promises of rewards and riches to come..... All that bluster about how easy it would be.......

List of Brextard Lies

Who remembers this gem:

'The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.' Michael Gove, April 2016

And we haven't even left yet. We're yet to see how bad this is going to get.

• No need to worry, the fanatical Brexiteers have told us that the wold world id out there dying to trade with us

Liam Fox was sent on a world jolly to find them :rolleyes:

But there's always China;)

• Dare I say it...... We told you so

You're a bit quick off the starting point, aren't you? Negotiations continue, and as usual, the EU is taking it to the wire.

Even if we don't get a deal by the deadline, there's no reason why we can't get one at a later date. Re-joining the EU is totally unacceptable and would be flying in the face of the electorate.

• Even if we don't get a deal by the deadline, there's no reason why we can't get one at a later date. Re-joining the EU is totally unacceptable and would be flying in the face of the electorate.

In 2060?

We might as well stay in :)

• You're a bit quick off the starting point, aren't you? Negotiations continue, and as usual, the EU is taking it to the wire.

Even if we don't get a deal by the deadline, there's no reason why we can't get one at a later date. Re-joining the EU is totally unacceptable and would be flying in the face of the electorate.

For a start, I refer you to the title of the thread: BRITISH GOVERNMENT abandons hope of a trade deal with EU by the end of the year.

If a deal is not agreed by the end of this year, that will be it as far as the EU are concerned. Britain will be under WTO rules and that is how they will treat us. Another competitor who is subject to a set of rules (that nobody here voted for) and must follow them. So much for "taking back control". As a competitor, they are under no obligation to do Britain any favours or show us any special consideration. And if we wanted to talk to them again, we would have to bring something to the table. What would we have to offer..?

And if we did have something to offer, they would be in the whip-hand position of being able to dictate whether or not what we offer is worth what we want in return. If it seems unfavourable to them, they simply say "Non". They would only negotiate to their advantage, only this time with no obligation such as those that exist under the withdrawal agreement and the transition rules. After those things expire, Britain can only get weaker.

However, for now, negotiations do indeed continue, but how meaningful are they..? "Going through the motions" has been the British strategy all along so far and unless the UK team move on the Level Playing Field it's going to be impossible for any deal to be arranged.

I'm not surprised you adopt the "The EU will crack at the last minute. They always do" position. Well, time will tell on that one. But they show no sign of doing so to date and I suggest you go back and read the article I linked to by Angela Merkel, particularly the bit where it says:

Coming in the week of the fourth anniversary of the Brexit referendum, the change of rhetoric from within the chancellory also appears to quash renewed speculation in the British press that Merkel could seek to soften Brussels’ red lines to secure a last-minute deal.

I know, it was printed in the Grauniad and merely clicking on a link to it could cause you to feel faint and break out in a cold sweat, but brace yourself and be brave. Go on.... give it a try.

Of course... I always add the caveat that we have to wait to see how things pan out in the future. We can only know what is printed in the press, which is only what the negotiating teams want us to know. But throughout negotiations, what has emerged is that the EU has been open, honest and frank with Britain. They WANT a trade deal and would be prepared to move on a number of issues. All, except, for fisheries and the level playing field. But Johnson wants to be able to stand on the steps of Downing Street and claim a "Glorious Victory" so nothing but absolute capitulation at every level by the EU will suffice. And that, in my opinion, is unlikely.

The truth is, it is the British who have been intransigent, bloody minded and obstreperous... a lot like our membership of the EU.

Your faith in Boris Johnson is touching. Like that of an innocent child to a feckless parent who constantly promises everything will be fine tomorrow.

But tomorrow never comes.

Re-joining is not unacceptable. The referendum has been implemented. Britain has left the EU. Your much vaunted "democracy" has been satisfied.

The referendum said nothing about never re-joining. And your generation - the staunchest voters for it, and defenders of it - is demising day by day. There is a very strong likelihood that I will live to vote in any referendum for Britain to apply re-join the EU.

Will you..?

• The government has not abandoned all hope of a deal by the end of the year, it has simply moved the date by which we need to have an agreed position to October.

Remainers are making too much of getting a deal. That would be nice, of course, but it doesn't put Brexit in trouble. There will be a net tariff gain for GB, incidentally, since the EU export more to us than we do to them.

The EU is scared witless that we will be competition on their doorstep, which is why they are driving a hard bargain. They know in their heart of hearts that we will be successful and the EU will lose out.

There is no way we will ever re-join the EU. I fail to see why you and other remainers have this romantic view of this repressive institution, but I guess nothing will shake you from it - even when it becomes as plain as day that we are better of outside of it.

• The EU is scared witless that we will be competition on their doorstep, which is why they are driving a hard bargain. They know in their heart of hearts that we will be successful and the EU will lose out.

Ha ha :rolleyes:

• The government has not abandoned all hope of a deal by the end of the year, it has simply moved the date by which we need to have an agreed position to October.

Remainers are making too much of getting a deal. That would be nice, of course, but it doesn't put Brexit in trouble. There will be a net tariff gain for GB, incidentally, since the EU export more to us than we do to them.

The EU is scared witless that we will be competition on their doorstep, which is why they are driving a hard bargain. They know in their heart of hearts that we will be successful and the EU will lose out.

There is no way we will ever re-join the EU. I fail to see why you and other remainers have this romantic view of this repressive institution, but I guess nothing will shake you from it - even when it becomes as plain as day that we are better of outside of it.

So, can I just be clear.... you argue that 27 countries that constitute the largest and most successful trading bloc on the planet, are scared at the prospect of a single country with a broken economy, no industry of its own, and relies almost entirely on imports for its food, medicine, raw materials and other essentials, competing with it...? Talk of a tariff surplus is clutching at the flimsiest of straws.

Incidentally, I must just point out that in 2016, at the time of the referendum, Britain had the fifth largest economy globally. We are now seventh, having been overtaken by France and India. And Italy are fast catching up. And we will shrink still further when the United Kingdom breaks up. As it inevitably will.

Attitudes in Northern Ireland have dramatically shifted already, and by law, the British government MUST give the Irish a referendum. It's enshrined in the Good Friday Agreement. As for Scotland, I expect Starmer will, at some point, strike a deal with the SNP over Scottish seats that Labour could win. Help us into Parliament and we'll give you your referendum. It's early days yet, but we'll see how it pans out. The only thing is not whether the UK will break up, but how long it will take.

Yep, the Europeans must be crapping themselves at the thought of being in competition with "mighty Britain" England and Wales. Not.

Finally, the fact that you are incapable of seeing that UK could ever re-join the EU doesn't make that a fact, it merely highlights your personal myopia. There is no denying that it was overwhelmingly your generation that was the principal cause for leaving, and you are demising day by day. That's not me being nasty, I cite it dispassionately as a simple a fact.

The young people of Britain will decide what is best for their country when they have inherited it. Which is why people like you wouldn't want another referendum. But there will be one. It will happen. The Tories won't be in power forever. And it will only take around 700'000 people to change their mind. A very small swing.

Oh, and we're not 'remainers' any more. You can't 'Remain' in something you've left. We are now 'Rejoiners'. It's got a kinda, catchy ring to it, dontcha think..?

• Oh, and we're not 'remainers' any more. You can't 'Remain' in something you've left. We are now 'Rejoiners'. It's got a kinda, catchy ring to it, dontcha think..?

Should be Rejoin and Rejoice:)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!