In truth, Any Government is stuck between a rock and a hard place dealing with prison release of certain criminals.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • When a prisoner convicted of child sex abuse has served his sentence and is being released into society, very many do not have a home to go back to. They are then allocated local authority and/or private rental housing in towns and cities. No one tells their new neighbours of their conviction and release and he is then free to associate as he wishes. The alternative is that the neighbourhood is alerted to his presence, but this could lead to trouble, as obviously parents want to ensure their children are safe. The Police are made aware but do not have the resources to monitor the person 24 hours a day. They will never admit that there is a convicted Paedophile in their area.

The question is :- Where do we as a society put those people when they are released - A supervised hostel perhaps. The following questions need to be addressed.

1- Is the safety and well being of the released prisoner of greater value than that of the community at large?.

or

2 :- Should the safety and security of children take priority?.

This is the dilemma which Governments of both colours have had to consider. Not very successfully.

What do others think ?.

The Voice of Reason

• Sarahs Law

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11427787#:~:text=The%20Child%20Sex%20Offender%20Disclosure%20Scheme%2C%20or%20%22Sarah%27s%20Law%22,or%20suspected%20of%20child%20abuse.&text=Police%20can%20also%20warn%20parents,raised%20by%20grandparents%20or%20neighbours.

• Many paedophiles change their names by deed poll soon after release from prison so that the authorities have no way of tracing them. If anybody wants to take advantage of Sarah's law they are on a hiding to nothing. Their new name doesn't show up on the sex offenders disclosure scheme. The released prisoner disappears into the general public.. .Besides, the conditions of Sarah's law does not notify all the people in the area whose children could be at risk. It only applies if a parent asks the police about a certain person and that parent is legally bound not to let any other parent in the area know what the police has disclosed.

The Voice of Reason

• Many paedophiles change their names by deed poll soon after release from prison so that the authorities have no way of tracing them. If anybody wants to take advantage of Sarah's law they are on a hiding to nothing. Their new name doesn't show up on the sex offenders disclosure scheme. The released prisoner disappears into the general public.. .Besides, the conditions of Sarah's law does not notify all the people in the area whose children could be at risk. It only applies if a parent asks the police about a certain person and that parent is legally bound not to let any other parent in the area know what the police has disclosed.

If I remember correctly any released prisoner is automatically involved with the probation service so any change of name would be noted there. In any event many are not working and claiming benefits I don't think a change of name would get past the social security system

• Of course they can, the Probation system is totally inadequate and a criminal would have no problem claiming money. Most people don't want to have a convicted Paedophile living in their midst, even a Priest. IMHO, The authorities need to organise accommodation for those released Paedophiles which keeps children safe from harm. OR advise the public of their identity and address so that parents can warn their children..

The Voice of Reason

• advise the public of their identity and address so that parents can warn their children..

Unfortunately that would encourage vigilantees. Some may argue that they're getting what they deserve.

Better to keep them away from the general population and closely monitored.

• Of course they can, the Probation system is totally inadequate and a criminal would have no problem claiming money. Most people don't want to have a convicted Paedophile living in their midst, even a Priest. IMHO, The authorities need to organise accommodation for those released Paedophiles which keeps children safe from harm. OR advise the public of their identity and address so that parents can warn their children..

Most finish up on the streets, they can't get accommodation - the hostels are full, and without accommodation they cannot claim benefits or get a job

Why not let the public know of their presence, thee vigilantes would have a field day - it has happened

Only about 10% of abused children know their abuser, the rest are family or friends

So the paedophile would be well known

https://www.ywca.org/wp-content/upl…Sheet-Final.pdf

• Frankly, I don't think child abusers should ever be released. They will always be a threat.

• Frankly, I don't think child abusers should ever be released. They will always be a threat.

you could apply that argument to murderers, rapists, burglars, and all criminals

• you could apply that argument to murderers, rapists, burglars, and all criminals

For murderers and rapists, yes I agree. Burglars and other criminals? The sentence should fit the crime, and multiple offenders who do not ever seem to learn should be put away for a long time. The victims of these crimes have often gone through trauma at the hands of these people, so such acts of criminality should not be treated lightly. These people don't care about our rights - why should we care about theirs?

• For murderers and rapists, yes I agree. Burglars and other criminals? The sentence should fit the crime, and multiple offenders who do not ever seem to learn should be put away for a long time. The victims of these crimes have often gone through trauma at the hands of these people, so such acts of criminality should not be treated lightly. These people don't care about our rights - why should we care about theirs?

You've obviously never been burgled

Firstly you have the hassle of clearing up the mess, and the worry of wondering if they will return

Then there are the relatives living around you and their subsequent hostile attitude to you and then the nightmare of the offender being released soon after sentence and back in your community

There is absolutely no justice in five minute sentences

• You've obviously never been burgled

Firstly you have the hassle of clearing up the mess, and the worry of wondering if they will return

Then there are the relatives living around you and their subsequent hostile attitude to you and then the nightmare of the offender being released soon after sentence and back in your community

There is absolutely no justice in five minute sentences

I'm not sure why you said this - I was agreeing with you!

• You seemed to indicate that burglars should not be locked up for an appropriate sentence

No, I said the punishment should fit the crime. Burglary is invasive as far as the victim and their family is concerned, and a longer sentence than we currently hand out is deserved. However, I think it should only be life after the third such offence.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!