Virgin Media TV changes

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • It is likely that the Sky/Virgin Media deal secured last year might be launching next week. I have been speculating for some time that August might be the month, and now I discover that the Virgin Ultra HD channel has no listings after Sunday.

Could it be that the UHD channel on VM will close as Sky UHD commences? I think that is now a distinct possibility, given that the EPG normally displays schedules on that channel for two weeks ahead.

Of course, it could be the tardiness of the EPG loaders, but my suspicions have been aroused.

I am not sure whether jj will be able to confirm any activity via the scanners that could point to such an event, although I doubt that this would be possible, since no new channels would be involved. I believe that all UHD stuff from Sky will be VOD only, although I cannot rule out red button, which is how it works via Sky satellite.

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• It is likely that the Sky/Virgin Media deal secured last year might be launching next week

Can you remind us of what this is OB? Is it just one channel launching, or is there meant to be a whole raft of stuff.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Can you remind us of what this is OB? Is it just one channel launching, or is there meant to be a whole raft of stuff.

It's a whole raft of UHD programming, but I think we will be accessing this either through 'on demand' or via the red button (or both).

What really interests me is the reference to increased content, and I wonder whether this will include Sky Atlantic shows. We will not be getting the channel, but we might well get it through VOD. The fact that Sky has relented and given BT access to Now TV, which includes SA, makes me wonder if we will also benefit. Sky had previously announced that they wish to do more to monetise their content, so this would make perfect sense. Comcast may also be changing some of Sky's thinking as well, I suspect.

This is not me saying that we will get SA programming. To be clear, this is just me thinking out loud. I am keeping a very close eye on this.

https://advanced-television.co…-sky-extend-content-deal/

• For a long time I've interpreted the UHD aspect of the deal as, Sky will provide all the UHD as soon as they launch the intended UHD channels on their own service. Rather than some now, some later.

And the BT deal, to me, looked like Sky got the better of them. BT didn't get it on their terms (hardly surprising they are the smaller party), and rather than get nothing more than they already had, BT jumped through hoops and changed how their TV service worked.

• For a long time I've interpreted the UHD aspect of the deal as, Sky will provide all the UHD as soon as they launch the intended UHD channels on their own service. Rather than some now, some later.

I think I'm right in saying the you can view Sky's UHD content only via the red button. I have not picked up any rumours of a Sky UHD channel.

And the BT deal, to me, looked like Sky got the better of them. BT didn't get it on their terms (hardly surprising they are the smaller party), and rather than get nothing more than they already had, BT jumped through hoops and changed how their TV service worked.

I would say, though, the addition of Now TV is commensurate with BT's modus operandi, which focuses more on the VOD side of things than TV channels. The new deal has substantial benefits for BT viewers. And while it is fair to say that you can watch Now TV through TV sticks, etc, many people do not understand that or couldn't be arsed to find out, and so adding the streamer to the platform makes a big difference to them.

• I think I'm right in saying the you can view Sky's UHD content only via the red button. I have not picked up any rumours of a Sky UHD channel.

I would say, though, the addition of Now TV is commensurate with BT's modus operandi, which focuses more on the VOD side of things than TV channels. The new deal has substantial benefits for BT viewers. And while it is fair to say that you can watch Now TV through TV sticks, etc, many people do not understand that or couldn't be arsed to find out, and so adding the streamer to the platform makes a big difference to them.

The wording back then, to me, suggested whatever was coming was new to Sky themselves. And the Press Red stuff already existed, so I interpreted that as a linear broadcast channel or three (1 entertainment, 1 film, 1 sport maybe).

The way the BT deal works looks bad (in my opinion) and doesn't make them look in control given how much they changed with their TV implementation to accommodate it. It was also (in my opinion) lopsided, Sky gain much more out of the deal than BT. Sport matters to more people than the other stuff (not to me, but I'm not in the majority here).