Virgin Media TV changes

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • If my memory serves me right, wern't these V+ boxes just rebadged Telewest tv drives?

The original boxes were, but the Samsung model in the picture wasn't. They didn't work differently though, it was the same OS. The Samsung was much smaller and quieter to my recollection.

• Still no sign of Disney+, which Virgin Media hinted at wohld appear on their 360 boxes this year, but apparently Discovery + is ready to go. Maybe they will both launch together as part of a VM 'Christmas present'!

• My 360 box is telling me that the BBC1 SD channel closes on 26 January. BBC1 HD will carry the regional programming from that date.

I live in the BBC1 South area, but I believe all the English regions will convert this week to make room for BBC3, which starts broadcasting in February.

It’s about time!

• My 360 box is telling me that the BBC1 SD channel closes on 26 January. BBC1 HD will carry the regional programming from that date.

I live in the BBC1 South area, but I believe all the English regions will convert this week to make room for BBC3, which starts broadcasting in February.

It’s about time!

Yeah, be nice for rest of country to catch up. Not nice seeing the frustration whilst it was sorted here for so long.

• This was expected as they had either been seen testing, or labelled/code has been witnessed recently, on VM. It was just a case of when.

So glad for HD Red Button permanently, much more useful and convenient than iPlayer, though obviously won't cover everything as it's ine stream, iPlayer will still be the place to go when the events are simultaneous or overlap. And the regions are useful occasionally, so better picture quality is appreciated.

• NBC News Now is due to launch later this month. Pleasing to see a US news channel launching after CNN packed their bags recently.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/…dia_480176.html

Yeah. The CNN strategy mystifies me, they decide to launch CNN+ (not yet launched) and then sell some of what seems to be potential programming for it to other broadcasters.

I'm referring to the Stanley Tucci Searching For Italy which recently started on BBC2 in case you were wondering.

Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy
    Stanley Tucci travels across Italy to discover the country’s regional cuisines.
    www.bbc.co.uk
  • I can't understand why CNN was taken off Freesat, Virgin maybe because that's more expensive per viewer to put it on there if they're cost cutting and aren't receiving that many viewers.

The vast majority of costs in programming and technical costs like capacity and uplinking have already been paid for. The cost of going on the Freesat EPG is peanuts to a company like WarnerMedia.

I did think they were doing this in order to push CNN+, but as you say, it isn't ready yet and CNN remains FTA on Sky.

Yes, Freesatters can still watch CNN in non Freesat mode, but most people don't use this facility and I bet a lot don't even know of ot's existence.

• Yes, Freesatters can still watch CNN in non Freesat mode, but most people don't use this facility and I bet a lot don't even know of ot's existence.

I only use it for FreeSports. Given my box doesn't seem to remember other transponder details only the last one used, and I can't be bother keeping a list and continually type them in, I'm not inclined to tune in much in non-Freesat mode. You can switch between other FTA channels on that transponder easily enough, but the chances of other channels you'd be interested in being on the same transponder are slim.

• Despite earlier hesitation from both Sky and Virgin Media, Britbox has now launched on Virgin Media boxes. Interestingly, we now have confirmation the ITVX will also be available on Virgin later this year.

BritBox UK launches on Virgin TV
    BritBox UK and Virgin Media O2 have announced that Virgin TV customers can now access the BritBox app directly through their latest set top boxes. Virgin TV ho
    advanced-television.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!