Official TV/Film Video Entertainment Apps & Services thread

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Thought there was a need for a thread devoted to

A) Platforms that host Video Entertainment apps

e.g. Roku, Android, iOS, FireTV, Now TV, WebOS, Apple TV.

B) New (Legal) Apps For Official Video Entertainment providers and any updates, new features. E.g. Anything from BBC iPlayer to Sky Sports to Netflix.

C) New models of device, where appropriate.

The form factor for devices varies from being box-based, to sticks, to in-built to the screen.

• New platform options for BT Sport app.

"Now more ways to watch BT Sport than ever before!
    - Fire TV
    - Android TV
    - Roku streaming players and Roku TV models
    We've added three new places where you can access the award-winning BT Sport App!
    And all in time for the new Premier League season"

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1303287107033718784

• A welcome addition to the threads, cheekyangus. Do you also want to see references to new or existing content of these apps on here or just developments such as new apps becoming available on platforms, etc?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Thanks Old Boy.

I was thinking the former too, as there won't be enough instances of the latter to make this a regular thread. So if a major new feature is added, if a feature is added to one version, but not yet another.

Same for the platforms themselves. E.g. Roku added optional extra buttons to their software a few months ago and it added functionality to even very old hardware. I don't mean things like Now TV adding a bolt-on to allow people to pay extra for Full HD versions, that's a paid-for change to a service's tiers, not a new capability, Full HD was available on the device already.

Other examples of the sort of thing for this thread are things like connection types being added or removed with the launch of new models of box or stick.

Or if an app stops supporting older equipment and /or versions of a platform. E.g. Spotify doesn't work on older Roku devices anymore such as 3500 Stick. Or iPlayer doesn't work on Android lower than 5.1.

Things like that.

• And on that note.

After BBC iPlayer dropped older Android support (i.e. you now need 5.1 or better now) a month or two back, now ITV Hub and All4 have followed suit. ITV Hub only just happened, All4 happened somewhere between it and iPlayer.

Virgin TV Go has also went 5.1 and above only for future updates, but at least one older version still works, maybe several.

• BritBox has launched on the 4K FreeSat boxes.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://twitter.com/freesat_tv/status/1305491677713502209

As ex-a516digital points out on Twitter, TVs with in-built FreeSat may have the app already due to manufacturer agreements.

It likely won't come to previous generation boxes.

• They have dPlay already for AVOD. Relaunch perhaps? Global branding is easier, and cheaper, to advertise.

Not sure if dPlay brand is used in (m)any other countries.

dpay is just the reality stuff like Quest Red, isn't it? I had assumed this would be the better content that you would find on the Discovery Channel, etc.

I certainly wouldn't pay to see the other stuff!

• dPlay is Quest, Really, Quest Red, DMAX, Food Network and HGTV shows. Given Quest and DMAX are mostly oldish content from their Discovery-branded Pay TV channels it's a bit like watching Pick TV to see Sky content that's 2-3 years old.

And not everyone realises where the content comes from. I know someone who thought "The Repair Shop" was a Quest show, even though it's been on BBC for 2-3 years. A good example of wrongly assigned credit, simply because they don't normally watch a particular broadcaster.

I myself didn't realise "Car SOS" was a National Geographic UK show, as I previously didn't have access to that, and had only seen it listed on C4 channels like More4.

• I discovered earlier this week BBC Sounds is now on Roku. Only certain models so far so don't get hopes up, I managed to find it on a search after I was told it had launched, found it but it refused to install when I clicked Add Channel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/roku

BBC Sounds is now rolling out to Freeview Play, which is how I happened to learn about Roku.

Full TV devices list. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/h…nnected-tv/#/Notification

According to the VM Disney Channels FAQ the kids TV Hopster app is coming to Virgin Media. Doesn't mention dates, but Disney Channels are closed in UK as of 1st October. Content from Hopster is currently available through STV Player, but there seems to be much less so maybe STV's deal is expiring.

The same FAQ says VM are hoping to add Disney+ in the future, so at least we know they are trying to get it.

• I had noticed that BBC Sounds has been rolling out over various devices. I like the comment on the BBC page

If a device isn't certified, it won't be listed below. Devices not listed have either not reached the benchmark required for a good BBC Sounds experience or have not yet been submitted for certification.

Surely they'd have to check speaker quality to determine how good the BBC Sounds experience would be, somewhat difficult with streaming devices and set top boxes.

• I had noticed that BBC Sounds has been rolling out over various devices. I like the comment on the BBC page

Surely they'd have to check speaker quality to determine how good the BBC Sounds experience would be, somewhat difficult with streaming devices and set top boxes.

I more took that to mean how fast the Graphical User Interface worked and the streaming worked seamlessly without stuttering due to lack of processing/memory resources rather than audio quality.

My old Roku is rather struggling with iPlayer these days, certainly the GUI, once the streaming is going it's fine.

• I more took that to mean how fast the Graphical User Interface worked and the streaming worked seamlessly without stuttering due to lack of processing/memory resources rather than audio quality.

My old Roku is rather struggling with iPlayer these days, certainly the GUI, once the streaming is going it's fine.

No doubt they do mean the streaming quality and the GUI but, as always, with audio these days, actual sound quality is an after though. Same with all of the sub "voice quality" streams on DAB being used for music. Good point about the Roku though, there is a tendency to use bloated graphics and lag out older devices. Not much point in the interface looking pretty if it takes ten minutes to load a stream.

• Another AVOD service is preparing to launch in the UK next year. IMDb will screen TV shows and films but will have unskippable advertisements. However, there will also be an ad-free subscription version available.

I think they will be screening mainly archive material rather than any originals. Still, it will suit some, I’m sure.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/medi…aring-to-launch-in-the-uk

• Another AVOD service is preparing to launch in the UK next year. IMDb will screen TV shows and films but will have unskippable advertisements. However, there will also be an ad-free subscription version available.

I think they will be screening mainly archive material rather than any originals. Still, it will suit some, I’m sure.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/medi…aring-to-launch-in-the-uk

Tainting the iMDb brand. :rolleyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!