Official TV/Film Video Entertainment Apps & Services thread

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Was using the V6 BBC Sounds TV App and out of curiousity I looked at the version information. The current build says 3rd September. I see no difference since the last time I used it, so it doesn't appear to be a feature update. Nice to see updates of this sort though, that this platform is in active enough development to get "updates that seemingly do nothing". :)

• Was using the V6 BBC Sounds TV App and out of curiousity I looked at the version information. The current build says 3rd September. I see no difference since the last time I used it, so it doesn't appear to be a feature update. Nice to see updates of this sort though, that this platform is in active enough development to get "updates that seemingly do nothing". :)

Using BBC Sounds TV App again right now and I've spotted one difference and possibly some others.

There's now a Back button on the left of the screen if you push left on some App screens. The only option before was to press the Back button on the remote. It resembles the Connected Red Button App overlay/launcher/start page which can be reaccessed the in a similar manner. I hope this similarity is a sign that BBC Sounds is being added to this, as it's convenient to just Press Red rather than have to go to the Platform Apps Menu.

Obviously the Connected Red Button operating functionality isn't relevant to platforms like Roku, though the content is available.

Back to the changes. The other changes may be my imagination, some of the user interface seems every so slightly different, mainly on the playback screen. The buttons look different, possibly bigger or differently spaced.

Hope you were sitting down for that. 8o

• Using BBC Sounds TV App again right now and I've spotted one difference and possibly some others.

There's now a Back button on the left of the screen if you push left on some App screens. The only option before was to press the Back button on the remote. It resembles the Connected Red Button App overlay/launcher/start page which can be reaccessed the in a similar manner. I hope this similarity is a sign that BBC Sounds is being added to this, as it's convenient to just Press Red rather than have to go to the Platform Apps Menu.

Obviously the Connected Red Button operating functionality isn't relevant to platforms like Roku, though the content is available.

Back to the changes. The other changes may be my imagination, some of the user interface seems every so slightly different, mainly on the playback screen. The buttons look different, possibly bigger or differently spaced.

Hope you were sitting down for that. 8o

Turns out I was using the 6th September Build today, so those things may not have been there in the 3rd September Build.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the screens where you can use a Left Button Press to access Back functionality have a "<" at the left-middle of the screen.

• Disney+ is now on Panasonic TVs apparently.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It’s a good idea, and I hope for the sake of those who cannot afford to splash money out on the subscription streamers that we get a lot more of this.

I shan’t be watching them, though. Advertisements are such a waste of time.

• Yep, it's good that people will be able to have a choice between the two funding models or, if they can't afford to pay, won't be excluded from the growing world of streaming.

It will be like going back to the 1970's though with having to sit through the adverts in the middle of a programme :D

I don't know if this works for all of the ad funded streaming services, but when I use the ad funded version of the ITV Hub, I move the cursor right to the end. It then shows all the adverts with the sound turned down whilst I do something else. Then, when it's finished, I can watch the programme uninterrupted.

I'm not sure how long this lasts for though as I once left it for a couple of hours and found that it wanted to play out all the adverts again.

• It’s a good idea, and I hope for the sake of those who cannot afford to splash money out on the subscription streamers that we get a lot more of this.

I shan’t be watching them, though. Advertisements are such a waste of time.

It's one thing if they have ad-supported tiers AND ad-free ones, but if the service only has the former and it has exclusive content you want to see you won't have an option...other than not watching the show even though it interests you.

I typically go off and stuff my gob with food and beverages... ^^

So basically nowadays during live programming.

Well,OK, not just that, it would be bad for my health and my pocket, so I multitask.

• BritBoxUK app is now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X. It's bound to be on Xbox Series S too as it's basically a slower X and current generation unlike the One.

BritBox UK on Xbox - RXTV info
    Nearly two years after launching in the UK, BritBox continues its roll-out on streaming devices. The app is now available on the Xbox Microsoft Store.
    rxtvinfo.com
  • Apparently the next BBC iPlayer TV App refresh has a better look and user interface according to someone who has been using the beta "for a while now" who posted on social media.

The new BBC look that is being launched tomorrow isn't coming to apps until next year though according to this unrelated official post.

Modernising audience experience across the BBC
    BBC Chief Customer Officer Kerris Bright explains how we're updating our apps and services to make it easier to find what you love on TV, online and mobile.
    www.bbc.co.uk
  • Hayu app now on LG TVs.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I cannot see this being a success, but it will be interesting to see how it does. I think the linear channels idea is doomed to failure eventually - they should stick to streaming.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/…-uk_469380.html

Pluto Lite 8)

They'd be better making a personalised theme autoplay service. If it uses little resources there's no harm except extra interface clutter, I suppose.

Does anyone know if you can load up the Prime app to watch iMDB TV content without logging into an account?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!