Brexit's Going Really Well, Isn't It..?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • A little thread on the fustercluck that is Brexit and all the failings that arise, as they arise.

Faisal Islam (Yeah, I know he's brown and not CofE, but he is a good journalist and not at all biased), writes that the EU has refused to agree to a British request to overlook "Rules of Origin" (which are enforced under WTO trading rules) on cars assembled in Britain using parts from other countries.

Brexit Blow To British Car Industry

The original Withdrawal Agreement, produced by Theresa May contained a route to minimise Rules of Origin checks, but these were written out of the final agreement signed by Boris Johnson. I stress that there is now no such route in the final Withdrawal Agreement being discussed (reneged on) by Britain.

But as slimy and two faced as David Frost is, he has requested that such a route now be pursued. The EU 27 are not amenable to this.

It means that even if Britain were to negotiate a zero tariff agreement (which is about as likely as Truro City winning the FA Cup) British car makers would still face tariffs.

Is this what they meant by "The easiest trade deal in history"....?

Old Boy said: "Britain will have a trade deal with USA by the end of this year".

• We simply do not know what is going on at the moment, do we?

The negotiators are meeting this week and if they are not able to reach agreement soon, then yes it will be a fustercluck, a very big one!

• Now THIS is worth reading, if you have the attention span.

Produced by the independent "What The UK Thinks" group, it's as good an analysis of how Brexit is going as any I've seen. It's been independently fact-checked and it's sample groups are reliable and accredited. It's a little dated now, but I'm on the lookout for updates.

Well worth a read. Table 11 is rather telling.

What The UK Thinks - Analysis of How Brexit Is Progressing

Old Boy said: "Britain will have a trade deal with USA by the end of this year".

• Brexit is right on track.. At this time more than ever, we in the UK need to hold our nerve and not be browbeaten by the EU's dirty tricks department. A couple of very important points to remember for the UK is 1 - Keep control of our own fishing waters and 2 - Don't let the EU force us into having a border in the Irish sea. ( Far better to have a proper land border between Northern and Southern Ireland ). Just ignore the terrorism threats from the "New IRA" terrorists..

• Brexit is right on track.. At this time more than ever, we in the UK need to hold our nerve and not be browbeaten by the EU's dirty tricks department. A couple of very important points to remember for the UK is 1 - Keep control of our own fishing waters and 2 - Don't let the EU force us into having a border in the Irish sea. ( Far better to have a proper land border between Northern and Southern Ireland ). Just ignore the terrorism threats from the "New IRA" terrorists..

The EU say if you dont give acess to your fishing waters, your fisherman wont sell any fish to the EU, which means the end for your fishing industry.

You somehow assume you can get all benefits without giving anything. Now that this falls apart you write rubbish like this.

• The EU say if you dont give acess to your fishing waters, your fisherman wont sell any fish to the EU, which means the end for your fishing industry.

You somehow assume you can get all benefits without giving anything. Now that this falls apart you write rubbish like this.

In a decent British forum there's no need for any member to describe another's post as rubbish. If that sort of behaviour was acceptable, most, if not all of your posts would have been described thus..

You are mistaken In your anti British conclusion about British fishing waters. We only need to fish to supply ourselves and friendly countries, by doing so we would be conserving our fish stocks for the future. Let France and Spain fish their own waters to extinction.. Oh I forgot, they have already done that and want to do the same to the UK waters.

• According to yesterday's Daily Express, the British government are now considering shifting their position on fishing rights.

We must remember, however, that this is the same newspaper that three weeks ago told their readership that the EU were about to sack Barnier.

As for selling our fish to "friendly nations"

The UK catch is 5% cod and 7% haddock, while the UK fleet catches a lot of herring, 93% of which is exported, mostly to Norway and the Netherlands. Overall, the UK imports 70% of the fish it eats and exports 80% of what it catches.

Unfortunately for Britain, Netherlands is in the EU and Norway is a member of the European Economic Area, and has access to the single market which means if Britain doesn't get a deal with the EU, high tariffs will apply to British fish which will make it almost unsellable on those markets.

So..... if Norway and Netherlands are out of the market for British fish..... which other "friendly" nations would you like to sell it to. Please bear in mind that fish is a perishable commodity and has to be sold fresh or it starts to, well, smell. I know this. I live in a fishing town.

What friendly nations close enough to Britain, and not in the EU, or don't have an agreement with them that would mean tariffs, would we sell this vacant 93% of our catch to...?

Over to you.

• The EU say if you dont give acess to your fishing waters, your fisherman wont sell any fish to the EU, which means the end for your fishing industry.

We’ve just secured a deal with Norway. The EU had better get their skates on if they want any of our fish exports! :D

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• We’ve just secured a deal with Norway. The EU had better get their skates on if they want any of our fish exports! :D

What we've actually signed is an agreement with Norway to HOLD ANNUAL NEGOTIATIONS on access to each other's waters and quotas.

This isn't a Trade Agreement of any sort. No fish are being sold. This doesn't give Britain access to Norway's waters or market.

It's an agreement to hold annual discussions, pertaining to each other only. In fact, it will likely lead to Britain giving Norway access to British waters. How's that for sovereignty...!!

I love it when you make misleading posts, OB. The tenor of your comment will suggest to the gullible that what the government has achieved is some sort of trade deal that can be sold to the public as "a victory". Perhaps it's been written up as such in the wide range of media sources that you tell me you subscribe to.

PS.... This agreement doesn't change, one jot, Norway's obligations to the EEA and therefore the likelihood of tariffs being applied. And unlike Britain, Norway abides by international law.

• In a decent British forum there's no need for any member to describe another's post as rubbish. If that sort of behaviour was acceptable, most, if not all of your posts would have been described thus..

You are mistaken In your anti British conclusion about British fishing waters. We only need to fish to supply ourselves and friendly countries, by doing so we would be conserving our fish stocks for the future. Let France and Spain fish their own waters to extinction.. Oh I forgot, they have already done that and want to do the same to the UK waters.

UK will either allow fishing for EU fishermen or not sell any fish in the EU (where at the moment 90% of the british fishing exports go).

I still wonder how the UK could believe they could do cherry picking.

I mean honestly do you have anything to offer for Europe at all?

All i hear is what the UK wants. But do you offer anything?

• We are not cherry picking. Does Iran give up its fishing waters to be exploited by other countries? Of course not!

All we want is a trade deal. A pretty uncontroversial request that is being manipulated by those who do not wish Britain to prosper and succeed.

We have plenty to offer Europe, which is why they actually want a trade deal as well - information that remainers and others hostile to the UK’s interests seek to ignore.

• We are not cherry picking. Does Iran give up its fishing waters to be exploited by other countries? Of course not!

All we want is a trade deal. A pretty uncontroversial request that is being manipulated by those who do not wish Britain to prosper and succeed.

We have plenty to offer Europe, which is why they actually want a trade deal as well - information that remainers and others hostile to the UK’s interests seek to ignore.

Wrong, the UK thought it could keep all the positive aspects of the EU, but without the membership. Of course thats Impossible. The EU doesnt bow down in any aspect. You either allow them fishing or you wont sell any fish. I believe thats fair.

Iran btw has fishing Agreements with neighbors.

• Wrong, the UK thought it could keep all the positive aspects of the EU, but without the membership. Of course thats Impossible. The EU doesnt bow down in any aspect. You either allow them fishing or you wont sell any fish. I believe thats fair.

Iran btw has fishing Agreements with neighbors.

The UK is also prepared to enter into fishing agreements with its neighbours!!

Again, look at this situation that we have here. We know we can’t have all the ‘benefits’ of belonging to the EU. We are asking for a no-tariff trade deal. Simple, really.

• The UK is also prepared to enter into fishing agreements with its neighbours!!

Again, look at this situation that we have here. We know we can’t have all the ‘benefits’ of belonging to the EU. We are asking for a no-tariff trade deal. Simple, really.

And that no tariff trade deal will mean the UK has to follow EU standards, which includes fishing. Also visa free travel.

As EU always made sure that free trade means free travel

• Sorry but is really is NOT worth reading

First, it is written up by a dull survey researcher who just says in words what is obvious in numbers. This is what gives survey research a bad name. Decent researchers, who are a dwindling segment, would bring the data to life with conclusions and implications

Second, it is hopelessly out of date. It's like a survey commenting on the relationship between Britain and Germany prior to Hitler commencing World War Two, or how the Jews feel about antisemitism before the Holocaust.

Third, this dull and simple research spans a period where Britain had its very own answer to the Third Reich (aka EU), in the mannaquinned shape of Theresa May, a crossbreeding of the wisdom of Chance the Gardener and the charm of Darth Vader, who the majorityof Parliament were content (for different motives) to let her negotiate the UK's deal for leaving the EU.

Fourth, WhoTF cares what the UK citizens thought about the present and future relationship with the EU during this period of heightened idiocy? Come to think of it, WhoTF cares what UK citizens think anyway? Or WhoTF believes what they say they think? Or WhoTF believes they can think?

So what we have here is a report now best used - and maybe always was - for lighting one's wood burning stove or wrapping food waste.

• In a decent British forum there's no need for any member to describe another's post as rubbish. If that sort of behaviour was acceptable, most, if not all of your posts would have been described thus..

Do you also enjoy debating with your dog or hamster?

• And that no tariff trade deal will mean the UK has to follow EU standards, which includes fishing. Also visa free travel.

As EU always made sure that free trade means free travel

The EU can lay down rules for the standards of products exported to them, as we can for products we import.

What we don’t want them doing is telling us the standards of the products we export and import to/from elsewhere.

The fishing grounds around the UK will belong to us, not the UK. Just as we have the right to decide on fishing allocations in those waters, the EU can determine its own fishing allocations.

You seem to have the same blind spot as all our ‘remoaner’ remainers - that the EU has some sort of God-given right to lord it over us. Well, you lot are in for a shock in a few weeks’ time.

• The EU doesnt lord anything over you. They say what they demand for an agreement, if you dont fullfill that, you get no agreement. Its quite easy.

As it looks now the EU is not in a shock, they just play this calm and stable to the end.

They will get the fishing rights or ban UK fish from EU market for example.

Just as the EU cant force you zo allow them fishing, you cant force the EU to buy your fish. You export 90% of your fish to EU.

You know yourself what that means.

Your country is too small to make demands

• Not long now before you are proved so short sighted and completely wrong.

Iran would never accept such a proposition and this rather more prosperous country will definitely not! You are listening far too much to the leftie pessimists in this country, who are always proved wrong!

• Not long now before you are proved so short sighted and completely wrong.

Iran would never accept such a proposition and this rather more prosperous country will definitely not! You are listening far too much to the leftie pessimists in this country, who are always proved wrong!

OB's vision of Brexit........ "Everything is going to be wonderful....... a land of milk and honey..... tra la la, it's all going exactly according to plan........

brexit-unicorns.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!