Brexit's Going Really Well, Isn't It..?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Fourth, WhoTF cares what the UK citizens thought about the present and future relationship with the EU during this period of heightened idiocy? Come to think of it, WhoTF cares what UK citizens think anyway? Or WhoTF believes what they say they think? Or WhoTF believes they can think?

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is right wing politics in a nutshell.

I have spread this comment over a number of discussion forums I use and it's being noted by a lot of young people. I used your entire post which in its entirety is even more damning than the highlighted comment so please don't claim you're being quoted out of context.

It's only the opinion of a single person, 'tis true, but inserted into discussions being held on a number of matters pertaining to the the broad state of British politics, it speaks of a wider and more generally held opinion by the extreme right.

I care what UK citizens think. And a lot of UK citizens believe that our government should care what they think.

Thanks for the quote.

• Not long now before you are proved so short sighted and completely wrong.

Iran would never accept such a proposition and this rather more prosperous country will definitely not! You are listening far too much to the leftie pessimists in this country, who are always proved wrong!

Iran was able to force the UK on its knees in the tanker incident. If we can do it...much bigger powers like the EU can do much more.

Now as Trump rots away on COVID-19 and Biden most likely becomes president in USA it looks even worse for you guys. Biden is anti brexit to the extreme.

You act like those who threaten suicide if they dont get what they want...

Heared the EU coldly started a punishment scenario because UK want breaks the contract it has signed regarding Northern Ireland.

What value have contracts with the UK, when you break them so easily? You destroy yourself and you even celebrate it.

My bet is Biden wins in November and forces UK back into the EU.

• The UK is also prepared to enter into fishing agreements with its neighbours!!

Again, look at this situation that we have here. We know we can’t have all the ‘benefits’ of belonging to the EU. We are asking for a no-tariff trade deal. Simple, really.

And you expect to get one for free. Just like that. "This is what we want, just give it to us, OK..?"

You expect to get something without giving anything..?

The world doesn't work like that. You have to give something to get something. In the case of access to the single market, that "giving" something is continuing to agree to the rules of the single market, which means abiding by EU rules, which includes freedom of movement.

If Britain won't sign up to that, then we don't get free access. WTO rules will have to apply and I no longer need to spell out what that means (or do I...?)

Here is a link to an article that is well written, mature, and addresses the issues in a realistic way.

The Integrity Of The Single Market Is More Important To The EU Than A Deal With Britain

snip

Of paramount importance to the EU is internal trade within its 27 countries, worth many times more than the bloc's exports to the UK. The EU has always stressed its priority is to protect its Single Market, which enables goods to flow freely and services to operate across national borders. It does not want to give the UK free access without guarantees on standards and fair competition.

Now, I think the British government is aware of this but seems to think that macho posturing, attempting to play some bizarre game of poker where they think all they have to do is stand firm until the other side blinks, and making threats they can't fulfil is going to win hearts and minds on the continent.

Johnson has Britain in his pocket and this leads him to a delusional belief that the same tactics of dishonesty, deceit, media manipulation and corrupt politics are employable tactics in dealings with the EU. What he fails to take into account, is that the EU doesn't give a toss what the Sun says. The European news agencies and daily papers aren't in his pocket. He has no Dominic Cummings pulling the strings in Brussels. He can't pull the Director General of the German or French national broadcasters into Downing Street and threaten them with defunding if they don't toe his line. He can't force MEP's into line with threats of de-selection or withdrawal of the party whip.

He has no leverage. No clout. When British MEP's left the European Parliament, any influence Britain had there left with them.

His negotiators are inept and are playing with a weak hand. Britain's trade with Europe may be large in terms of raw numbers, but it's very small when looked at in the bigger picture of the Single Market.

His behaviour over the Withdrawal Agreement has seriously compromised trust. He is acting illegally and he knows it, and yet he attempts the same spin and flannel on them that he uses on the British public in the vain belief that Europeans are as easily conned as the British people. By expecting the EU to believe his excuses for this action he shows his contempt for them. Does he really think they are that stupid..??

Rather, they've shown their response to his behaviour in the appropriate manner. They are playing by the book. They are following the law. Who are the grown ups here..?

EU Launches Legal Action Against Britain

With regard to ongoing talks, they now reasonably asks themselves "How can we believe the word of this man and his country? They have no respect for agreements they have signed and they don't honour them. How can we open our markets to a country that will renege on their side of any deal that is made..?!

A trade deal with Europe is desirable from Brussels point of view, but it's not worth sacrificing the Single Market for.

You approach this as if it is a simple matter of gentlemen shaking hands. But for agreement to happen, firstly, both sides have to get something out of it, and secondly, both sides have to trust the other to honour ALL parts of the agreement.

And Britain can no longer be trusted to do that.

• Much to my disgust, it would appear that Boris is prepared to sell out our interests to the corrupt EU. .1 - The integrity of the UK should never be sacrificed by installing a border in the Irish sea between countries of the UK. 2 - The waters around the UK is our waters and we have the right to defend those waters against unfriendly countries like France and Spain plundering our precious fish stocks.. The EU have been nasty and spiteful just because the UK no longer wanted to be part of that disgraced EU experiment. If negotiations fail, it will be due to the EU's dirty tricks department and their spiteful huffy attitude to the UK wanting to leave the EU sinking ship. Boris should stand firm and if the EU fail to act in an adult manner he should tell them to "Foxtrot Oxford" and walk away..

The Voice of Reason

• Much to my disgust, it would appear that Boris is prepared to sell out our interests to the corrupt EU. .1 - The integrity of the UK should never be sacrificed by installing a border in the Irish sea between countries of the UK. 2 - The waters around the UK is our waters and we have the right to defend those waters against unfriendly countries like France and Spain plundering our precious fish stocks.. The EU have been nasty and spiteful just because the UK no longer wanted to be part of that disgraced EU experiment. If negotiations fail, it will be due to the EU's dirty tricks department and their spiteful huffy attitude to the UK wanting to leave the EU sinking ship. Boris should stand firm and if the EU fail to act in an adult manner he should tell them to "Foxtrot Oxford" and walk away..

Yup and lose acess to single Market plus you have Nobody to sell any fish then 90% of your fish Exports Go to EU. The EU already said they will ban UK fish. Which means the end for your fishing industry.

Your insults dont help your cause. You have nothing to offer but you want something

• we have prevailed against Germany and their French collaborators in the past when they tried to destroy our country, we can easily do it again. Never fear, the UK is resilient and its people won't be bullied.

The Voice of Reason

• And there, ladies and gentlemen, is right wing politics in a nutshell.

I have spread this comment over a number of discussion forums I use and it's being noted by a lot of young people. I used your entire post which in its entirety is even more damning than the highlighted comment so please don't claim you're being quoted out of context.

It's only the opinion of a single person, 'tis true, but inserted into discussions being held on a number of matters pertaining to the the broad state of British politics, it speaks of a wider and more generally held opinion by the extreme right.

I care what UK citizens think. And a lot of UK citizens believe that our government should care what they think.

Thanks for the quote.

Thanks for the publicity. I won't ask you to tell me the response in your other forums, since I'm sure you would cherry pick.

There is an untruth in my posting, which is the 4th point, although I'm content to leave as is because I'm sure anyone with at least half a brain (or who doesn't come from Cornwall) will understand Admittedly I do care what UK citizens think but chiefly because it reveals how stupid and pathetic this country has become, which is useful to know when it comes to investment and the advisability of living in such a society.

Of course, when I refer to the irrelevance of the opinion of UK citizens, obviously I don't mean all of them. But rest assured, it certainly includes people like you, even after making geographical allowances

• The world is bigger than the EU. We would simply sell our fish elsewhere.

We might even consume some of it ourselves. To whatever extent the EU chooses to play hard ball, with no balanced trade reciprocity, we should import from elsewhere and redirect home production for home consumption.

• The world is bigger than the EU. We would simply sell our fish elsewhere.

You have no market elsewhere. Your fishers dont even have the infrastructure to deliver elsewhere.

In the end its meaningless anyways, since you will bow like always. You bowed infront Iran...and Iran does not have the power of the EU.

• Thanks for the publicity. I won't ask you to tell me the response in your other forums, since I'm sure you would cherry pick.

There is an untruth in my posting, which is the 4th point, although I'm content to leave as is because I'm sure anyone with at least half a brain (or who doesn't come from Cornwall) will understand Admittedly I do care what UK citizens think but chiefly because it reveals how stupid and pathetic this country has become, which is useful to know when it comes to investment and the advisability of living in such a society.

Of course, when I refer to the irrelevance of the opinion of UK citizens, obviously I don't mean all of them. But rest assured, it certainly includes people like you, even after making geographical allowances

Ho-hum. Up until now I only thought you were boring. I was wrong. Make that pretentious, condescending and boring.

And if you take into account your comment about Cornwall, which will no doubt include the Cornish people who are recognised internationally as people of one of the six recognised Celtic nations, then your comments are racist too. And yep, I've posted that (as an adjunct to your last comment) in those places as well.

Needless to say, all this has caused a lot of those that have seen it, and who have up to now been less critical of the hard-right of British politics to re-think. Thanks.

I'd post here a selection of the comments that came back about your remark but you'd probably take them as a compliment.

Your last remark was noted as typical of the right-wing extremists and has been even more widely circulated by those individuals. I guess you could call it some sort of fame. There..... you're famous. But not in the way that anybody with a shred of decency would want to be.

• Getting back on topic after dealing with Pretentious, Condescending and Boring, this is now surfacing:

EU's Top Court Lands Major Blow To UK Chances Of A Major Data Transfer Deal

Now... I know that Brexiters don't have much time for the law, but the EU does and this could turn into a major problem for UK... Not so much whether we get any business, but rather, how it could be made to work.

The EU’s top court has ruled that unrestrained mass surveillance of phone and internet data is unlawful, in the latest blow to the UK’s chances of securing a post-Brexit data-sharing agreement with the EU.

Snip:

Mark Taylor, partner and data protection lawyer at Osborne Clarke, said the decision “has broader ramifications for UK business than might first appear”.

“This reinforces previous ECJ rulings that the UK security services’ powers around personal data are in scope of EU law, and do not fully align with it,” said Taylor.

“This is very likely to be a point of contention in the European Commission’s consideration of whether to give the UK data adequacy status on Brexit."

“Without an adequacy decision, UK businesses would be faced with the issue that their extensive, ‘business as usual’ transfers between the EU and UK of personal data concerning employees, customers, suppliers would cease to be compliant with the GDPR’s (General Data Protection Rules) rules on data transfers.”

“Large swathes of EU-US data transfers may be in breach of GDPR [rules] and, once the transition period is over, data transfers between the EU and the UK will become much more difficult,” he said.

And the final remark in the article:e)

“This could… mean that messaging networks used by banks and other financial institutions to send and receive information, such as money transfer instructions will not be able to operate through London.”

Yep..... Brexit's going well, eh..?

• France To Get 150 billion Euro Richer As A Result Of Brexit

The only thing that surprises me about this is that the figure isn't larger. However, it's early days.

It is expected that when the transition period ends on 31 December, French assets to the value of 150 billion Euro will be transferred from London financial institutions to Paris. This move is to enable those companies to keep trading in France.

This is not the only transfer of seriously big amounts of money that will take place. JP Morgan Chase & Co will be moving 200 billion Euro from London to Frankfurt.

Quite how the loss of these significant amounts of money from British financial institutions will impact on the wider British economy is not clear at this time, but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of pigshit it won't be of the beneficial kind.

It is highly likely that there will be further announcements of this sort in the event of a no-deal Brexit:

snip from article

International banks are being forced to make these changes because they aren’t yet sure if they will retain passporting rights in any Brexit trade deal that is negotiated–and without these rights, they won’t be able to service clients as a U.K.-based firm. The company has also told 200 London-based staff to move to the continent.

• They won’t retain passporting rights. This has long been known and discussed to death. It’s not the value of the assets that is key so much as the tax take which is somewhat less than the headline figures you quote. The Euro trading in the city of London is less than 20% of total business and as the institutions you mention are global organisations they will move the relevant pieces of their business to suit their operational requirements. The void left by the departure of this business will be filled with other things as investment bankers are prone to being very good at making money.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• They won’t retain passporting rights. This has long been known and discussed to death. It’s not the value of the assets that is key so much as the tax take which is somewhat less than the headline figures you quote. The Euro trading in the city of London is less than 20% of total business and as the institutions you mention are global organisations they will move the relevant pieces of their business to suit their operational requirements. The void left by the departure of this business will be filled with other things as investment bankers are prone to being very good at making money.

Maybe you start trading iran oil.

• Half Of England's Current Fish Quota Is Already Owned By Foreign Companies

The link above should read "More than half of........"

This begs the question of, whatever is (or isn't) thrashed out between UK and Brussels by way of a trade deal, more than half of England's current quota of fishing from UK waters is already owned by foreign companies, including a whopping one fifth of England's entire quota being owned by one Dutch supertrawler.

Snip:

"I'm alarmed at how bad the level of foreign ownership really is - it far exceeds my worst expectations," said Paul Lines, from Fishing for Leave, a pro-Brexit group within the British fishing industry.

"I fear government action will change nothing, and we're still going to be dominated by a foreign presence."

Fishing for Leave wants to change the rules so all British fishing vessels must be "60% British-owned; 60% British-crewed; (and must) land, process and sell 60% of their catches in Britain".

But Dr Emma Cardwell, from the University of Glasgow, told the BBC that an enforced change in ownership would be "legally tricky" for the government.

Many parts of the quota were sold by English fishermen in the 1990s when fishing rights were cut dramatically. Cod fishing, for instance, was almost entirely stopped for several years.

Foreign companies then bought it up as a long-term investment, and experts say the quota market has been allowed to develop in an unregulated way ever since.

"There's a lack of clarity on the legal status of fishing rights," Dr Cardwell said, "meaning the government is very vulnerable to litigation if it tries to reallocate quota.

"Any foreign fishing companies that purchased UK quota in good faith would be very likely to sue if this was now taken away from them."

It looks like even if a "deal" any description does get agreed soon, fishing is still going to be very much an unresolved issue for some time to come.

I'm glad you know for certain what will happen regarding passporting rights. Perhaps you should be running the country. You're wasted on here.

The issue of such rights is "unclear" at this time. This is what is creating the uncertainty that has been a factor in the removal of these amounts of money. But hey.... what do Bloomberg and JP Morgan Chase know about international finance, eh..?

But it's reassuring to know that Britain is so incredibly wealthy that it can simply shrug off the loss of 350 billion Euro with an airy wave. With that sort of financial clout, perhaps the government could consider increasing the 66% furlough payments to those people who may be laid off due to Coronavirus restrictions. After all, it's ONLY 350 billion.

Not going to happen..?? Nah, I didn't think so either.

I also liked the bit about Boris Johnson has stated that he will walk away from the table opting for a No Deal, if there is no agreement between both sides by 15 October.

But of course, that was never going to happen. And so he's extended that deadline to tomorrow (Friday 16th). Let's review this tomorrow to see where we stand then.

• So a no deal it is then. Although Barnier is coming to London next week to try and get negotiations moving again.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!