Brexit's Going Really Well, Isn't It..?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Another myth exploded.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/10/13/picture-shows-brexit-not-blame-britains-shortages/

[EXTRACT]

Standing on the Pacific coast in California, a casual observer might find themselves thinking America had just severed close ties with its biggest trading partners.

Outside Los Angeles and Long Beach - the country's two biggest ports - a queue of container ships stretches to the horizon, waiting to dock and offload their wares.

But this clear evidence of a supply chain crisis has nothing to do with any Brexit-style rupture. Instead, it has been caused by global chaos as ports struggle to recover from Covid shutdowns and the world struggles with a massive shortage of lorry drivers.

The turmoil in America is linked directly to disruption in Britain which critics here are keen to blame on our departure from the European Union - despite clear evidence of the same issues not just in LA, but across the Continent as well.

“Britain is by no means alone in suffering these problems, there have been issues at Rotterdam, Hamburg and Antwerp, and we have not been so badly hit as some which have much bigger volumes going through them as containers hang around for longer,” says Richard Ballantyne, chief executive of the British Ports Association.

“This is not a Brexit issue - rather than the haulage problem - and it’s unfair to say that border controls resulting from leaving the EU are a cause of this.”

• We have already put forward the means by which trade can be monitored without a physical border and in a way that the populations of NI and the Irish Republic can still move around freely, but the EU have rejected it.

If the EU don't want to accept the UK's proposals concerning an invisible border, then maybe they should listen to us. Otherwise we will leave, and if they want to put up a border they can do so. It will be them breaching the Good Friday Agreement, not us.

As has been said many times before, not having a trade deal with the EU does not mean we don't trade with them. There are many other countries in the world that we trade with where there is no trade deal in place.

The EU is making things so difficult for us, such measures in the end become attractive. Project Fear does not wash with the public. It's just short term disruption for long term gain.

The emphasis is on us, we broke the status quo it is up to us to come up with the solution.

We did less than a year ago, and now the solution we came up with, isnt working for a very very small part of our population...and now we want to change it.

Its a ridiculous situation that will damage the UK for a generation at least.

The same people that said there would be no trouble, and if there was then those people are terrorists are the very same people that are now saying we need to change it, it doesnt work and its causing trouble....you literally couldnt make this up

• The emphasis is on us, we broke the status quo it is up to us to come up with the solution.

We did less than a year ago, and now the solution we came up with, isnt working for a very very small part of our population...and now we want to change it.

Its a ridiculous situation that will damage the UK for a generation at least.

The same people that said there would be no trouble, and if there was then those people are terrorists are the very same people that are now saying we need to change it, it doesnt work and its causing trouble....you literally couldnt make this up

Sorry, Fino, but you are wrong there. The EU has been bloody minded on the whole Brexit issue, and now they are finally capitulating to how we expect any protocol to work (see #560 above).

Whether they go far enough remains to be seen, but if they had shown the same willingness to talk at the beginning, we would not be where we are now.

• I'm fully expecting the EU to drag out all it's nasty dirty tricks to try and destroy the UK for daring to leave the EU and demanding that Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

The EU wants to claim Northern Ireland for it'self so that it can treat the population there to abuse, shabby treatment and break their spirit. The EU is full of hatred and is evil to the core.. I feel sorry for the people of Northern Ireland, I hope they fight back against the EU's fascist and nasty behaviour.

The Voice of Reason

• I'm fully expecting the EU to drag out all it's nasty dirty tricks to try and destroy the UK for daring to leave the EU and demanding that Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

The EU wants to claim Northern Ireland for it'self so that it can treat the population there to abuse, shabby treatment and break their spirit. The EU is full of hatred and is evil to the core.. I feel sorry for the people of Northern Ireland, I hope they fight back against the EU's fascist and nasty behaviour.

We will see. I agree that the EU has been playing dirty up until now, but suddenly they seem to have made an about turn. I'm not sure what has brought this about - whether it's Macron going too far with his hateful tirades; whether it's Poland with its apparent growing desire to challenge or even leave the EU; whether the US is working behind the scenes; or maybe they can finally see that we will not stand for this treatment and are prepared to ditch the deal. Whatever the reason, this apparent climb down with meaningful progress on the Protocol is welcome.

As for the EU claiming Northern Ireland for itself, that will happen in the end because the Catholics are breeding like rabbits and will soon outnumber the Protestants. Ireland will be unified again - and will no longer be a cost to this country, to look on the bright side. The Protestants certainly won't like that, but if they are outnumbered, what can they do?

• It has been stated that Russia definitely interfered with the Brexit vote. I hope this does not mean that 'Remainers' will now declare that the result of the referendum is null and void and we must re-join!

The way that the EU leaders have behaved since we left, shows what petty, spiteful individuals they are. Surely no-one with any self-respect would want their country to be dictated to by such people? The current migrant crisis and the handling of the Covid virus also shows just how incompetent they are.

• I think most people have accepted Brexit now, whichever way they voted at the referendum.

If the Russians have interfered in some way, it would be through influencers and the spreading of 'fake news', but we live in a mature democracy, and the population as a whole has the ability to sift through all of the hype and make the right decision.

We need to look forward now, and take maximum advantage of the opportunities that have presented themselves now we no longer have the shackles of the EU, which were holding us back.

• It has been stated that Russia definitely interfered with the Brexit vote. I hope this does not mean that 'Remainers' will now declare that the result of the referendum is null and void and we must re-join!

The way that the EU leaders have behaved since we left, shows what petty, spiteful individuals they are. Surely no-one with any self-respect would want their country to be dictated to by such people? The current migrant crisis and the handling of the Covid virus also shows just how incompetent they are.

They were only interested in two things from the UK. Firstly they liked taking our money and second they liked having political control over us. They really wanted us in the Eurozone as well but fortunately that never happened. It would have been almost impossible to Brexit if we had been in the Euro. Lucky escape I think.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Oh, goody - another end of year Brexit deadline! This should make for a lot more falling out between family and friends!

UK Brexit minister sets December deadline for reaching protocol agreement with EU | BreakingNews.ie
    The Brexit minister said there remained ‘significant’ gaps between the two sides on reforming the treaty.
    www.breakingnews.ie

[EXTRACT]

A December deadline has been set for the UK and the European Union to find a solution on the Northern Ireland Protocol, according to the UK's Brexit minister Lord David Frost.

The Brexit minister said both sides wanted the dispute over the post-Brexit terms “settled one way or the other” before the winter as he admitted there were still “significant” gaps between them on reaching an agreement.

Mr Frost also reiterated, when giving evidence to MPs on Monday, that the UK would not accept a role for the European Court of Justice (ECJ) as an arbitrator of the protocol.

• The EU should but out of internal issues of the UK....... Northern Ireland is nought to do with them. They should stick to Southern Ireland and build their customs posts on the border between the South and North. Thats where the EU ends and the Uk begins. Anything else is just plain stupid.

The Voice of Reason

• Except that we have already suggested ways of avoiding customs posts, but they don’t want a solution.

They will have Biden to contend with if they upset the Good Friday Agreement.

• Because the EU is being obstinate and obtuse, the only solution is to trigger Article 16. The wellbeing of the people of Northern Ireland should always come first. They are an integral part of the UK.

The EU, if they want a border, can easily set up one between Northern and Southern Ireland. It's quite straightforward.

The Voice of Reason

• The EU has deliberately politicised the border issue. It would be a border for trade, not for the free movement of people, and therefore it should not impact on the Good Friday Agreement at all.

• Hopefully, we can resolve the NI border issue this year and secure some fishing rights with Norway in the forthcoming annual negotiations, and sort the fishing dispute once and for all with France.

It is important that the government starts to show the benefits of Brexit, and 2022 now looks likely to be the year when we start to see some positive moves that will start to make the doubters re-evaluate their stance.

Most of the trade deals we have negotiated so far are no more than rollover deals, but this is about to change.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/21/britain-must-get-back-dealmaking-nation-urges-trade-secretary/

Britain will once again become a “dealmaking nation” as it prepares to join the trans-pacific partnership and launch four more negotiations next year, Anne-Marie Trevelyan has declared.

The International Trade Secretary vowed that 2022 will be a “five-star year” for her department, as she looks to commence formal negotiations on new UK deals with Canada, Mexico, the Gulf Cooperation Council and India.

Her plan is to target countries and blocs that were worth £140 billion in bilateral trade last year, including securing accession to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership - a major trade union of 11 Pacific nations.

• Surely the completion of the "oven ready" trade deal in record time and the now subsequent fall out due to the NI protocol proves that there is a reason countries take 7+ years to complete them??

I can only see bad things from trying to complete 5 trade deals with a myriad of different impacts on the UK trading enviroment

• Surely the completion of the "oven ready" trade deal in record time and the now subsequent fall out due to the NI protocol proves that there is a reason countries take 7+ years to complete them??

I can only see bad things from trying to complete 5 trade deals with a myriad of different impacts on the UK trading enviroment

Well, there’s no point in doing trade deals that are bad for our trading environment!

• The EU should but out of internal issues of the UK....... Northern Ireland is nought to do with them. They should stick to Southern Ireland and build their customs posts on the border between the South and North. Thats where the EU ends and the Uk begins. Anything else is just plain stupid.

They cannot do that because of the peace agreement that is backed by the united nations and has the force of international law. There can be no border on the island of ireland. That is the law. Britain voluntarily signed an agreement with the eu to put a border down the irish sea and should honour the agreement. I think Boris Johnson had every intention of breaking the agreement from the very start. He knew what he was signing but did it anyway because he always intended to break his word. Adn then he went on the telly on christmas eve and told us that we had gotten an oven ready deal that was everything we wanted.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• Well, there’s no point in doing trade deals that are bad for our trading environment!

what trade deals? so far as i can tell apart from the roll over ones we got that are actually are the equivalent of britain trading under the rules we had when we were in the eu anyway, we have done only a couple of trade deals. The australians are backing out of that already and teh new zealand deal is only good for new zealand and actually ruins business for british farmers. the americans have sent us to the back of the queue, just like Obama said they would, because of the way we are behaving over ireland

We are not doing very well on the trade deal front no matter how anybody likes to try to sugar coat it.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!