Brexit's Going Really Well, Isn't It..?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Don't say you weren't warned. I suppose you're going to call this Project Fear too. We've heard that one before, haven't we..? You'll be telling us next that we hold all the cards.

"We have had biometrics on our passports for years." You all say. "There is nothing to worry about." You repeat over and over. "Everything is going entirely according to plan." You repeat even more frequently.

The usual denial and refusal to accept warnings when they are staring you in the face.

Yes, British passports have some biometrics. That is not disputed.

But our passports don't have THESE biometrics. And they are going to need them.

And what is the UK government doing to advise people of this? Precious little that I can see.

The Etias scheme was initiated before the referendum so it is nothing new and we have known about it for years. It mirrors the American ESTA scheme so it isn't even unique. It's a way of controlling your borders (now, where have I heard that before?)

It is coming into effect next May and if the UK government doesn't do something about publicising this and putting support systems into place to implement it, there is going to be chaos next year too. Chaos caused by the British government's neglect.

And true to form, you will blame it on the French.

Fingerprints and Photographs Required For British Travellers

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• Ignoring the Troll as usual.

Yes the decision to free ourselves from that wasteful and corrupt EU is turning out very well. There is a fresh new confidence in the UK population. There's stull the ODD remoaner griping about how some EU countries are better than ours but that's just bullshit, if they believed that they would have gone to live there.------Yes Brexit is doing well.. :thumbup:

The Voice of Reason

• Sorry to keep repeating myself ITG but what is your point?

This is a copy of the US ESTA system as you state and it is quite correct and proper that a country with borders should be checking who enters. I have always considered that this was a good idea and I don't know why we don't do it here. Obviously the boat people who arrive illegally don't need to bother with these formalities of legal travel as they are illegals and should be deported immediately upon capture but for some reason or other they are not.

I have been travelling to the US for many years and the ESTA system is no hassle to anyone who is planning their journey even as a last minute thing, Chances are you already have a valid ESTA as they last for two years and cost $14. Yes it is a pain but when you remember you are travelling to somebody else's country and they have no obligation to just let you walk in, I think it is a reasonable ask.

The passports we have are fine by the way. The photos are taken along with the fingerprints at the point of entry. So again this is a non-story, I have been doing exactly this for years, as long as the ESTA system has been around and its not a problem.

Why are you so bent out of shape by this reasonable measure?

Good on the EU for binging it in. It won't stop or deter UK travellers but it might put off those who have no right to be there, its another reason to kick them out.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Ignoring the Troll as usual.

Yes the decision to free ourselves from that wasteful and corrupt EU is turning out very well. There is a fresh new confidence in the UK population. There's stull the ODD remoaner griping about how some EU countries are better than ours but that's just bullshit, if they believed that they would have gone to live there.------Yes Brexit is doing well.. :thumbup:

I think most people who voted for leave knew full well it would not be all plain sailing and I also suspect that the French would be as awkward as possible , however we will get through this .

Remainers should take a good look at the EU all is not well in the EU many people right across the EU are not happy that they are in the EU run by nameless faceless unelected pencil pushers , others may well follow our lead

• I think most people who voted for leave knew full well it would not be all plain sailing and I also suspect that the French would be as awkward as possible , however we will get through this .

Remainers should take a good look at the EU all is not well in the EU many people right across the EU are not happy that they are in the EU run by nameless faceless unelected pencil pushers , others may well follow our lead

Another often used cliche by the leave side , perhaps you like to put a name to these political parties or organisations ?

An organisation like the EU is always going get criticised & probably with justification but leaving Is a completely different matter

Ukraine wants to join

• Are you aware of any problems for UK citizens getting into the US, ITG? If not, why the concern about travellers from here into the EU?

• Are you aware of any problems for UK citizens getting into the US, ITG? If not, why the concern about travellers from here into the EU?

The number of people visiting USA is considerably smaller than those attempting to get into Europe. It would be interesting to see how much in the way of resources the government is allocating to operate that. Then again, Britain isn't attempting to weaponise travel to USA in the same way they are doing with Europe.

There are no such problems for Britons passing through Calais to return to Eng-er-lund because the French have invested in the Port of Calais and the system works on their side of the Channel.

Read the link and see what is happening. We all know exactly where this is going to go. Britain will do nothing at all to prepare for EES and when it all goes badly, the French will be blamed. It's going to happen. America? The British government has no interest or political capital invested in demonising America in the way it is with Europe.

Do You Think The Queues At Dover Are Bad? You Aint Seen Nothing Yet.

Just in time for next year’s holiday rush, the EU is planning to introduce new biometric controls at its borders under the so-called EES or Entry/Exit System. UK travellers will have to get out of their cars with their passports and pass a biometric test, using fingerprints or facial recognition, just like they do at UK airports’ passport controls now.

The problems this will cause have been known for years. The Port of Dover has been complaining loudly about them, but no one in government is listening. For a start, the facilities at Dover have not been set up to do biometric measurements, and second, it is going to be very dangerous.

As Tim Reardon, the head of EU Exit at the Port of Dover, told the House of Lords Justice and Home Affairs Committee in November last year, “there is no way yet of doing a biometric control on a vehicle without getting people out of the vehicle. That is one thing on our site that cannot happen because it is in the middle of live traffic. It is the equivalent of asking people to get out of their car at a motorway toll booth. It is fundamentally unsafe and cannot happen.”

The people you support and act as an apologist for at every turn, know this is coming and they are deliberately doing nothing. They WANT chaos at Dover because they know they can pass it off as French belligerence and the sheep who follow them will suck it up gleefully.

We will come back to this next year. Oh yes. We will.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• You are talking shite again. The responsibility falls to the EU. It is an EU system and they have to set it up. That assumes it mirrors the US ESTA system. The clearance is granted on line so don’t travel without getting clearance first. The photo and fingerprints are taken at point of entry using EU systems. If these cause delay that is an EU responsibility especially at airports. Of course the seaports have always been a target for French inefficiency so I doubt that will change.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Wife and I have travelled right across what is now called the EU before the EU came about , we even went to America the Nordic Nations never ever had a problem at all.

We have taken holidays in the EU since we left the EU , even to America for a family wedding no problem at all, the only thing that has stopped us travelling was Covid

• Britain and France along with greater cooperation do not go together. It will never work. More bullshit from Sunak. He's trying the same trick that Boris done with paying the French to make us think something is being done.

• Carney doubles down on claims Brexit has taken a toll on UK economy
    But Downing Street insists sky-high inflation is being driven by global factors such as Covid and the war in Ukraine.
    www.independent.co.uk

Carney seems very anxious to prove his Brexit sceptics right, but he fails to take into account of the fact that it is early days yet and we haven’t even dealt with the EU legislation yet.

I’m sure that nobody doubts that there have been initial impacts, but Brexiteers always knew that would happen.

• Of course the economy was going to be affected. Everyone knew that. He doesn’t understand the issues that were being disputed. I guess as a Canadian working in the UK he wouldn’t.

• I think he’s just worried about his reputation and trying to prove himself right. Another legacy thing.

But of course he’s right though yourselves & the government are never going to admit it it , least of all to yourselves

• But of course he’s right though yourselves & the government are never going to admit it it , least of all to yourselves

I did admit it but as I said as a foreigner working in the UK he won’t get point about freedom of movement which was something nobody voted for.

What point are you trying to make that isn’t already well understood fact?

• But of course he’s right though yourselves & the government are never going to admit it it , least of all to yourselves

Not quite. I am sure everyone will admit that the economy has taken a hit. What we are saying is that this is not the end of the story because the measures we need to take to ensure success have not been completed. We are still subject to EU bureaucracy for a start because we've not done anything about the new legislation that is required. The trade deals we have currently are mostly continuation deals - we've yet to see any benefits from the freedom we now have to negotiate new ones that are geared to our needs.

The pandemic slowed everything down, but hopefully the government will now make all of this a priority.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!