The change in storage space required on VM - An observation

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I accidentally recorded All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration from BBC4 HD again the other day, and it occurred to me to check how much space they both took, I was curious.

5.41GB - was recorded on 24th December 2018 back when BBC4 HD was on 163

2.3GB - was recorded on 12th December this year.

I'm assuming most of this difference is the switch from MPEG2 to MPEG4. I was expecting the newest recording to be around 3GB, so the difference was much better.

Thought it might briefly interest others who have VM TV how much has changed behind the scenes, and yet how little they may have noticed. 8)

• Staff Notice

I am certainly pleased to see that, but it doesn’t take away my beef that we need 2Tb boxes!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I am certainly pleased to see that, but it doesn’t take away my beef that we need 2Tb boxes!

I was told on Cable Forum that the MPEG4 HD switch in early 2018 halved the HD from the MPEG2 era and the new encoders in October this year has halved it again. Or something like that, I'm typing this from memory. ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!