X-Files and Die Hard to appear on new Disney+ Star service

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Disney has confirmed plans to bring an entirely new streaming service within its existing Disney+ app. Dubbed Star, the new option will be home to more “mature” content commissioned by Walt Disney, including shows and movies acquired when it bought 20th Century Studios back in March 2019

Star launches on Disney+ on the 23rd February and finally we'll get to see the true weight of Disney buying most of Murdoch's operations come to fruition with this new service. From shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives to films like the Alien series, this will be a significant enhancement to Disney+, but will it still be Disney?

In the States, much of the Star "adult" content has been available on the Hulu streaming service, which Disney part owns and will fully control soon, but it looks like for most of the world including here in the UK, we won't see Hulu but get this Star service instead.

The name Disney has always been associated with children's entertainment, how does that sit with all this new adult content coming to the service?

If you don't pay for Disney+ yet, will you be tempted now?

• n the States, much of the Star "adult" content has been available on the Hulu streaming service, which Disney part owns and will fully control soon

Does this mean that we will soon get Mickey and Minnie mouse sex tapes. We already have the seven dwarfs :D

• Here's a trailer on twitter for the new service:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Originally, we were told that the Disney+ service would comprise three strands in the US - the Disney shows, Hulu and sport. I always said that if that came here I would only be interested in the Hulu strand.

So I will take a look at the Star content, and if there are lots of programmes on there that appeal, I might subscribe.

I'm not sure if there will be enough on there that I haven't already seen to make this an attractive proposition.

• Just before Star launches in the next few hours, I thought I would count the number of films currently available on Disney+ and if you included everything that Disney+ classifies as films like Nat Geo specials, then they currently have 858 films on the service. It will be interesting to see how many that number is bolstered with the addition of adult rated films and tv shows.

I've decided to take the plunge and make the most of the price while its still there and have subscribed. I will let you all know on Tuesday how many films are on the service once the Star content is added.

• One of my sons has a Disney+ account and has included me on that so I am able to access it, I have watch a few of the live action remakes of the Disney films and The Mandalorian series on the star wars section, I am currently watch the Marvel series Wandavision too.

It will be interesting to see what is being shown on the Stars section.

• I wasn't going to subscribe to Disney+ Ron, but as I have a big "kid" to look after (aka my mum) I needed something child friendly. So, I've set up one profile for my mum with all the Disney stuff on and another profile which is unrestricted and now shows all the Star/adult stuff.

I'm happy with the Disney stuff, but as for the Star material, it's a little sparse at the moment, in my opinion. If you've already seen stuff like the Die Hard films and shows such as 24 and Lost, it's probably not worth it at the moment, until more stuff is added.

I'm afraid I cannot tell everyone now how many films are on the service because Disney has changed the layout of how everything is organised. Before you could search by "all movies" but you can't do that now, but instead they have added extra genres, so you can search by things like Westerns or Thrillers.

Once more of the adult Fox and ABC tv/film catalogues are added to the service, this will be a serious competitor to Netflix.

• Yeah I too have seen all the Die Hard films, in fact I have a box set of dvds and strangely enough watched them all again a couple of weekends ago, and I watched all of lost when it was on amazon prime as for 24 I did start watching it but I just couldn't settle into it for some reason.

• OK so I gave it a look,, and watched a original series that is on there Big Sky the first 2 episodes are available and is well worth a watch if you are into American thrillers, I won't give too much away but will just say I liked it, I believe the episodes will be released on a weekly basis so will keep an eye out for it next week.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!