President Joe Biden: news and general discussion

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Washington prepares for Joe Biden’s inauguration

So, Biden is about to enter the White House and what a change it will be to his predecessor. Whether you agree with Biden's policies or not, at least with him at the helm, normality will return to American politics.

He gets sworn in at 5pm our time.

• So, Biden is about to enter the White House and what a change it will be to his predecessor. Whether you agree with Biden's policies or not, at least with him at the helm, normality will return to American politics.

He gets sworn in at 5pm our time.

I disagree. Under Biden, America will decline into an even more divided society. "Nasty Nancy" Pelosi ( Biden's puppet master ) will see to that.

I won't be watching any of it on TV. This is the UK and why are the UK TV channels wasting broadcasting hours covering this foreign inauguration. There are more important things happening in the UK which are of interest to the British people.

I sincerely hope nobody tries to blow Biden's brains out.

The Voice of Reason

• I've had the tv on in the background to see Trump depart, good riddance to him and watching Biden currently saying some prayers before he assumes office. He probably needs all the help he can get.

I won't be watching any of it on TV. This is the UK and why are the UK TV channels wasting broadcasting hours covering this foreign inauguration.

Because the American president impacts the entire world.

• If nothing else I hope he brings back the dignity of the presidency and makes progress on the unacceptable levels of discrimination that dominates lives in the country.

Ethnic minorities will be the majority in the foreseeable future, and if inequality is not dealt with as a matter of some urgency, there will be a backlash when they gain control.

• I agree OB's comment that Joe Biden will bring dignity back to the presidency. The appalling behaviour of Trump not only damaged America, it damaged the very office of the President itself.

Whether we like it or not, USA is still the most important country in the free world and our future will be impacted by decisions made in the White House. I'm not going to say anything about how the relationship between Britain and USA will go ..... that will emerge in time.... just that for now we can all be grateful that the reign of the demented, stumbling child-king is over.

We should all breathe a sigh of relief for that.

PS. I rather like Nancy Pelosi because of her position on LGBT rights and her opposition to the so-called "Defence of Marriage Act". When the Supreme Court of California overturned the state's ban on same sex marriage in 2008, Pelosi released a statement welcoming the "historic decision". That makes her pretty good to me..

• Biden will only be deemed successful if he puts a stop to private gun ownership and disbands the NRA. Other than that, he is just another geriatric whose turn at the White House has come.

The Voice of Reason

• just another geriatric whose turn at the White House has come.

I have to agree. Whilst he does seem less volatile and certainly has more decorum than Trump, I am not sure that he's going to have much impact. I think Kamala would be a different story, though.

• Biden will only be deemed successful if he puts a stop to private gun ownership and disbands the NRA.

That will never happen even if he wanted to.

Apparently Trump left a note for Biden:

"Hi Joe, this is now your desk. There are two identical buttons on it. The left hand one is the intercom to your secretary, the right hand one is instant Armageddon. Don't forget which is which. Good luck. The Don"

• Biden will only be deemed successful if he puts a stop to private gun ownership and disbands the NRA. Other than that, he is just another geriatric whose turn at the White House has come.

No president of the US will ever do that. There's plenty more he could do, and he intends to do, to make his presidency a success.

• People on here seem against him mainly because of his age.

I'm not against him, and it certainly wouldn't be because of his age if I was - but you have to agree America does seem to have a thing about older men in presidency. Where's all the modern free thinkers in politics?

• Unfortunately only hours after Biden became president.. There were dreadful riots in Colorado by the Left wing Antifa/BLM thugs. They were burning American flags and burning property. If this is Biden uniting the country he has failed already. He can't even control his own left wing supporters.

The Voice of Reason

• I think the litmus test will be firstly whether he can get the virus under control and then whether he can control his politically correct tendencies or not. If he is too PC, he has zero chance of winning over Trump's supporters.

I would prefer that he would ditch anti-discrimination legislation, as well as the positive discrimination laws, which I think are hugely divisive, and replace them with laws that simply grant equal treatment for everyone. So, for example, if you are the best qualified and experienced for the job out of all the candidates, the expectation would be that the job offer would go to you. And if it does not, you should have legal redress, even if you are a 40-year-old white bloke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!