Serial Killer shows

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm one of those weirdos that love to relax with a good serial killer drama or documentary. Anyone got any recommendations?

Crime drama is fascinating to a degree, but it doesn't have to be murder. There is a certain amount of fun that you can have in working out a good old whodunnit. It can be quite entertaining (Oceans Eleven....... Clue...... etc).

But I don't particularly see anything enjoyable in, say, watching Little Boy Blue (the story of Rhys Jones, a small boy murdered in broad daylight in Liverpool), the effect his murder had on his family, and the strain endured by the police officers investigating it in their frustrations at getting his killer to justice.

Frankly, it is harrowing to watch...... even for a professional couple like myself and my wife, who have worked in crime investigation and served in the police respectively.

"Appropriate Adult" told the story of Janet Leach, a volunteer worker (Some sneer "Do-gooder", although I see nothing wrong in doing good) who worked as the appropriate adult for Fred West after his arrest for the Gloucester murders. The psychological effect of doing what she did was life altering for her.

"See No Evil" describes the effect of the Moors Murders on the sister of Myra Hindley, who her neighbours and other people assumed must have known what her sister was doing and the subsequent effects on the lives of her, her husband and their children when confronted by people who couldn't get at Myra, so took their vengeful anger out on her sister instead.

All of these films make compelling watching, but they do not showcase the crimes themselves. Rather, they describe the fallout as it affected other people which for my money is more socially important than highlighting the evil involved in the crimes.

But if you want a good, old fashioned, fictional drama, I suggest "An Inspector Calls". Starring David Thewlis. Based on the play by J B Priestley it's quite a touching watch, and without any spoilers, I'll just say it has an ending that you don't see coming.

Enjoy.

• I'm one of those weirdos that love to relax with a good serial killer drama or documentary. Anyone got any recommendations?

The main channels to find such programmes are Sky Crime, CI and CBS Reality. Just looking at Saturday’s line-up I see several episodes of Evidence of Evil, Britain’s Most Evil Killers and World’s Most Evil Killers. That’s just one day!

Sadly, the number of dramas has dried up considerably due to Covid and the fact that more new material is being picked up by the streamers instead.

• I haven’t watched An Inspector Calls, I might need to catch it, thanks.

All your other suggestions are great, but unfortunately I’ve watched them before. Someone suggested to me recently to watch Frost but it didn’t really do anything for me.

Marcella Season 3 starts next week and I’m looking forward to that!

Thanks again

• I haven’t watched An Inspector Calls, I might need to catch it, thanks.

All your other suggestions are great, but unfortunately I’ve watched them before. Someone suggested to me recently to watch Frost but it didn’t really do anything for me.

Marcella Season 3 starts next week and I’m looking forward to that!

Thanks again

Did you watch the Ted Bundy film ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile’? That was pretty good!

Great (sick) minds think alike. 8o

I'm not a massive fan of crime dramas in general, but yes I do love serial killer things too. Obviously, Dexter being up there with the top, but another suggestion which although not specifically about serial killers, is pretty bloody in a sort of humorous way and that is the drugs series Ozark on Netflix which does feature killers and may or may not feature a serial killer at some point.. ;)

But, back to specific serial killer fare and you must have seen Ch4's teen drama"The End of the Fuc***g world" right? 2nd series of that on the way. Absolutely brilliant, and the actor who plays the killer is Very believable.

• you must have seen Ch4's teen drama"The End of the Fuc***g world" right?

I haven't seen that! I will check it out.

Most recently I have really enjoyed Des, David Tennant absolutely nailed that role.

Ozark is great, however Dexter I grew tired of and I have yet to watch the final season.

• Problem with Dexter, like all American series', is that they go on for too long.

With that Ch4 teen drama, I would sum in up in the following way: a teenage boy's "wet dream" is slice up his girlfriend.... :evil:

You've probably seen the BBC's The Fall, but that would be another recommendation if you haven't seen it.

• How about The Life and Times of Boris Johnson ;)

I really enjoy human autopsies and those operating theatre programmes. I find human butchery and dissection really interesting. I enjoyed that series with Gunther von Hagens cutting up the dead body. How about that for weird :P but strangely I can't be dealing with human sick and poo. Blood, guts and puss no problem...but sick and poo would make me gag.

• How about The Life and Times of Boris Johnson ;)

I really enjoy human autopsies and those operating theatre programmes. I find human butchery and dissection really interesting. I enjoyed that series with Gunther von Hagens cutting up the dead body. How about that for weird :P but strangely I can't be dealing with human sick and poo. Blood, guts and puss no problem...but sick and poo would make me gag.

Don't ever participate in a post mortem examination, Norra. The human body, when opened up doesn't smell at all nice.

As for the life and times of Boris Johnson..... I don't think that will ever happen.

Serial killers tend to be intelligent..... organised......... meticulous and capable of planning thoroughly and if they make mistakes, of learning from them.

Everything that Boris Johnson isn't.

• Don't ever participate in a post mortem examination, Norra. The human body, when opened up doesn't smell at all nice.

Oh I know. I had an open wound from surgery after a fracture and while laying in a hospital bed it got infected and went all smelly and pussy. I was really curious opening up the wound and viewing the tendons and gristle inside the hole. I ended up on drip fed antibiotics that left a nasty metallic taste in my mouth and was close to death at one stage apparently. Other than that I was kind of slipping in and out of consciousness. I treated the whole thing like a trip, an adventure. I expect if the body is fresh it wont be so bad but if it has already started to decay then it will be stinky like rotten meat taken out of the fridge.

• Indigo

If you see this, another serial killer show that I would recommend is Bates Motel about the young Norman Bates. The BBC started showing it at night time last week and I had a look on the iplayer and they have all five seasons on there. It's an absolutely brilliant series if you haven't seen it and Norman is played by former cute kid actor Freddie Highmore who is Very convincing. He actually does look like a young Anthony Perkins. The actress who plays his wackjob mum is utterly brilliant too.

Really recommend it and although not technically a serial killer show, it does have a high body count, but I'd spoil the story if I got into that too much. :evil:

• Indigo

If you see this, another serial killer show that I would recommend is Bates Motel about the young Norman Bates. The BBC started showing it at night time last week and I had a look on the iplayer and they have all five seasons on there. It's an absolutely brilliant series if you haven't seen it and Norman is played by former cute kid actor Freddie Highmore who is Very convincing. He actually does look like a young Anthony Perkins. The actress who plays his wackjob mum is utterly brilliant too.

Really recommend it and although not technically a serial killer show, it does have a high body count, but I'd spoil the story if I got into that too much. :evil:

Yes, definitely a recommended series, Horizon. We saw all five series and I promise you, the quality never falters. Enjoyed it from beginning to end!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!