More BBC HD Regions

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Only our main 42" 1080p TV has an HD tuner but it's generally used with VM's V6. The TV/DVD 720p combo in the kitchen only has an SD tuner but it can work with the laptop via an HDMI lead and use VM's TVgo site, so we could cope if the SD transmissions were scrapped.

I've never used the VM TVGo website, just the app, how's the picture quality?

• I've never used the VM TVGo website, just the app, how's the picture quality?

Looks pretty good both on the laptop (HP Probook 450 using my WiFi) which is 1080 and the TV. No juddering or pixelating though both are fairly small screens. Some channel content, especially on Smithsonian, is not available for copyright reasons or like the BBC because they want you to use the iplayer.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Looks pretty good both on the laptop (HP Probook 450 using my WiFi) which is 1080 and the TV. No juddering or pixelating though both are fairly small screens. Some channel content, especially on Smithsonian, is not available for copyright reasons or like the BBC because they want you to use the iplayer.

There must be different content rules for different platforms as I'm pretty sure Smithsonian Channel works fine on the app version of VM TV Go. I'll check later.

• Well apparently the BBC have said this is a website technical glitch, so the HD versions aren't about to launch according to Media Mole.

Thanks to epsilon on Cable Forum for the heads-up.

HD versions of BBC One's English regions still due in 2022 - Media Mole

• Pity! I rarely watch the 10 o'Clock News at precisely 10pm - it's recorded in HD. I have to record our regional news in SD, so it's a bit of a faff.

It's even more so because you can't record the regional programme as a series link, because if I did that, I would get three separate editions of South Today every day (and there is no way to set manual recordings on the 360 as you can with the TiVos and V6s).

So we have another year or so of this palaver! X/

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Pity! I rarely watch the 10 o'Clock News at precisely 10pm - it's recorded in HD. I have to record our regional news in SD, so it's a bit of a faff.

It's even more so because you can't record the regional programme as a series link, because if I did that, I would get three separate editions of South Today every day (and there is no way to set manual recordings on the 360 as you can with the TiVos and V6s).

So we have a nother year or so of this palaver! X/

There had been suggestions over the years that even when they do do it the regional news (in England) would be upscaled SD as not all the studio facilities would be upgraded by the time they switched the particular region over. Natural equipment replacement has probably lessened that over the years, but I believe it's still the case in many. Still better than nothing IMHO (though I'm lucky enough to get mine in HD already so I come from a place of less annoyance).

• There had been suggestions over the years that even when they do do it the regional news (in England) would be upscaled SD as not all the studio facilities would be upgraded by the time they switched the particular region over. Natural equipment replacement has probably lessened that over the years, but I believe it's still the case in many. Still better than nothing IMHO (though I'm lucky enough to get mine in HD already so I come from a place of less annoyance).

Yes, I can live with ‘upscaled’ as long as it’s on the BBC1HD channel.

• The BBC has released more information on their HD plans.

Thanks to TimeLord2018 on Cable Forum for link.

Rolling out BBC One in high definition across England
    An update on plans to launch BBC One HD (High Definition) services across all of England from Kieran Clifton, Director, BBC Distribution & Business Development
    www.bbc.co.uk

Short version: Internet platforms first, starting with Sky Glass TODAY, then iPlayer. More updates when they have information to give. They are clear though that the speed will vary by platform.

And yes BBC2 NI, Parliament and Alba will be HD, though not clear on platforms, can't see the latter 2 being on Freeview except for via the internet.

• I'm lost now Cheeky. Does that mean we don't get the HD stuff on VM for a while yet?

• I'm lost now Cheeky. Does that mean we don't get the HD stuff on VM for a while yet?

We’re told it will before the end of 2022. No more details than that, I’m afraid.

We’re told it will before the end of 2022. No more details than that, I’m afraid.

Basically what Old Boy said.

In my opinion Sky, Freesat and Virgin Media will change well before the end of 2022. They tend not to want to make changes too near Christmas, so implement a change freeze, so I'd say early 2022 is most likely for those platforms.

Digital Terrestrial is going to take the longest because the most work is required, by far, to implement the changes. The fire at the transmitter in England has probably had an indirect effect as staff will have had to be taken off the HD multiplex work to deal with the installation of temporary masts and other related work.

As they've said iPlayer is getting the change next, after Sky Glass. This will mean (almost certainly) all platforms with iPlayer will get access before the broadcast transmission version of the new services.

Some have suggested the apparent (& brief) Sky Glass exclusivity period is part of the recent deal between the two companies and Sky might give the BBC (cheaper) transponder space in return, which they can for Freesat too. Just speculation that'll never likely be confirmed though.

• Looks like BBC2 Northern Ireland may soon be making an appearance on Satellite.

Digi Man on Digital Spy spotted it, and its subsequent removal.

BBC2 NI is available on other platforms already, Satellite has been an anomaly due to lack of capacity on BBC transponder space, and inevitably costs.

It was pretty much always inevitable that it would eventually appear, what with the BBC1 English HD regionalisation needing transponder space.

• I may be interpreting this tweet wrong, but I think a516digital is suggesting this is evidence of the extra BBC1 HD regions coming.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Possibly. BBC One London in HD is already live, so it's not that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!