Should there be a central changelog?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Official Post

With the gradual decline of tv channels on the various platforms, not much is happening on them now, as the rise of the streamers continues and I am considering changing the VM changelog into a central changelog for all platforms.

As a reminder, a changelog is the place to log changes to tv services after they've happened and its strictly no discussion, we have the other threads for that.

What do you reckon? All news and speculation about future changes to the various platforms, would still stay on their own threads.

• No. It makes it more difficult to find changes that are relevant to a particular individual and what they have available to them.

I've seen things I thought were straightforward and obvious totally confuse a surprisingly high number of folk. Lumping things together may be useful for some of us, but it will be to the detriment of others.

It'll also end up with the unintended result of posts about changes going elsewhere.

• Official Post

No. It makes it more difficult to find changes that are relevant to a particular individual and what they have available to them.

I've seen things I thought were straightforward and obvious totally confuse a surprisingly high number of folk. Lumping things together may be useful for some of us, but it will be to the detriment of others.

It'll also end up with the unintended result of posts about changes going elsewhere.

I certainly think in their prime, lumping everything together would've be crazy, but what changes have there actually been on the various platforms over the last year like new channels? Very few. Plus, but stating the obvious, no one has actually ever created changelogs for any other service here.

I'll ponder what you've said, though.

3 agree - 1 disagrees.

Anyone else?

• Official Post

No. It makes it more difficult to find changes that are relevant to a particular individual and what they have available to them.

As Horizon explained, there are very few changes happening these days. Instead of having separate threads for Sky, VM, BT, Talk Talk, Freeview, Freesat, Netflix, Amazon, Disney +, Discovery +, Apple +, etc, etc, it would be much better, in my opinion anyway, to have just one thread rather than clog up the system with loads of individual threads.

We are only talking about new channels, new streamers and enhancements on the streamers, not new programmes, so it should be manageable.

• Official Post

No, you misunderstand OB and in fact most people on sites don't seem to understand what changelogs are, they a simply a log of changes to platforms after they've happened and there is strictly no discussion in them. Cheeky almost has a Sky changelog thread, yet he allows discussion in it, so its not a changelog.

I am actually persuaded by Cheeky's argument and the whole reason for asking is, I would like to log, what in affect will be the death of the various platforms over the next 5-10 years and have it as a nice clear record. So, I agree with Cheeky, that they should be kept separate, which beggars the question, what to do with the existing threads and as they are Cheeky's, can you (or I) turn them into changelogs and keep the discussion elsewhere?

As to OB's point about having one thread for discussion of all platforms and streamers, how I originally organised things was to have central, separate threads for each platform and streamer, but then members created new threads whenever news happens and that is fair enough. I am only talking about a changelogs.

• I've got to make a decision on this, because we're getting a high number of new sign ups, I'm assuming from people coming from DS and things become unmanageable once the user base goes above a certain level.

Sorry to go off-topic. Why would you assume there are people coming from Digital Spy? Has there been news about their forum's future?

• Keep a Changelog "pure" is difficult. I've seen many Changelogs on various forums get interrupted by those that either don't understand or don't care and post other things.

Same goes for threads in forums in general, they all deviate, either by necessity or by accident, sometimes for the better, sometimes the worse. The usual problem is, in my opinion, when threads become too generalized and cover so much it's hard to follow the discussion. Which could be the problem with merging too many platform-related threads.

If, say, I was a novice, rarely look at forums, and am looking for information about changes on, say, Youview. If all the (relatively) prolific platforms make up 95% of the posts on a multi-platform changelog thread how am I, a novice, going to find all 5 of the relevant changelog posts among the many hundreds for the popular platforms with more prolific changes? At least if they are separate platform threads I could find all 5 posts for Youview in a relatively dormant thread easily, and in context. Lumping all the information together, in the end I might, as a novice, give up, not sign up to the forum, or even return for any of my future needs regards other topics, so put off by not finding the information I was looking for.

I've often found "abandoned" threads of great use all over the Web, even a decade old one, and it's usually because they are very specific.

• Official Post

I agree Cheeky, I won't have threads covering mutiple platforms, but I do think Changelogs should be pure, which is something I can enforce. The question is with your two exisiting threads on Freeview and Sky, do you want them as changelogs or discussion threads?

The Sky one is practically a changelog anyway, so that's easy, the Freeview one leans the other direction I think.

• I agree Cheeky, I won't have threads covering mutiple platforms, but I do think Changelogs should be pure, which is something I can enforce. The question is with your two exisiting threads on Freeview and Sky, do you want them as changelogs or discussion threads?

The Sky one is practically a changelog anyway, so that's easy, the Freeview one leans the other direction I think.

My Freeview one is pretty much technical, which is why I used "changes" rather than "changelog" in the title, as I wanted to discuss changes in technology used to broadcast, rather than changes in particular channels/apps available. So if it were me, I'd leave the existing Freeview thread as it is to continue covering this (as I think it is still relevant in this regard), and I, or someone else, should create a new specific Freeview Changelog thread.

If it helps, maybe you could unpin the current one.

As for the Sky one, yeah I agree, that's pretty much a Sky Changelog as it is.

On a similar matter, any chance of my Freesat one getting pinned please? It tends to drift. 8o

• Official Post

My brain has gone to sleep now, but I've jsut looked at your Sky thread again and a lot of talk was about things to happen, rather than things that had happened, so I reckon a seperate changelog thread is needed.

Cheeky if you would like to create two new threads for Sky and Freeview and perhaps just call them Sky Changelog and Freeview Changelog, then it will be these threads that get pinned, so that any changes to platforms can be easily found by people. What do you reckon? I can create them, but it just looks too dominating with my name over everything.

I'll have a look at your Freesat thread in a second.

Plus, do you want to amend the words in the first post of your exisiting Sky thread to state that it is a thread for discussion of what may (or may not) be coming to Sky.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!