Ron's thoughts on the world, human race and other random waffle!

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Official Post

According to the Collins concise dictionary:

adj 1a. homosexual. 1b of or for homosexuals: a gay club. 2. carefree and merry: a gay temperament. 3. brightly coloured; brilliant: a gay hat. 4. given to pleasure, esp. in social entertainment: a gay life. n 5 a homosexual.

From old French: gai Old Provencal of 13th C Germanic origin.

As I understand it, gai was the term for a homosexual long before other meanings existed.

• According to the Collins concise dictionary:

As I understand it, gai was the term for a homosexual long before other meanings existed.

Modern day French for our original meaning of gay is gai(e).

My dictionary of Norman and Old French doesn't include the word gai.

• So now we are at the stage when non-essential retail will be allowed to open, but will it be too little too late for a lot of shops and businesses that haven't been able to trade online for whatever reason, and will the public suddenly start shopping in store again socially distancing and PPE permitting of course, I suppose only time will tell. :/

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I've often wondered why the range of descriptive words for homosexuals is a no no, yet gay is regarded as legit.

"Gay" was probably one of the first colloquial terms for homosexuality in the modern era and it's become, kinda, embedded in the vernacular. It's generic to homosexuals, but is mostly used in the masculine. You hear of "gay men" all the time, but seldom "gay women". We're lesbians and mostly, we're comfortable with the term.

I've been called them all. I could list names you've probably never heard. They don't bother me any more.

"Gay" is a rather 'friendly' term, don't you think..? It implies a happy state to be in. And I am. I'm glad to be gay. I wouldn't want to be straight even if that were possible.... which it isn't. Yep.. out and proud and happy in my own skin. Am I gay..? You betcha.

Gay, to some people, implies femininity in men........ but to those straights who take that view, it's usually a sign of their own insecurities.

Other terms though are more derogatory..... and those who use them do so, I believe, maliciously. That says more about them than it does about us. And yeah, when I first came out as a 19 year old student, nervous as a kitten and without the faintest clue of what was going to happen to me, such things were unpleasant.

Some of the things I was called did hurt, but I had a good mentor. Another lesbian at my uni took me under her wing and helped. No... there was nothing 'physical' between us.... She became a very good friend and without her I might have really struggled. As it was, I learned quickly under her tutelage and found my feet far faster than I would have done alone. And I found that names don't matter. I grew a thicker skin.

A lot of young gay men and lesbians aren't as fortunate as I was. My family accepted my "revelation" and I had a good mentor in a liberal environment (university). Others are not so lucky and at a time when they are most vulnerable, the attacks, both verbal and physical could be really damaging. There were many suicides. How can our society contemplate that without being utterly ashamed of itself...?

Fortunately, we are much better organised now than we were and those coming out today don't need to get lucky with a caring mentor or fall by the wayside. Go to your local library (it'll be open from today) and you'll easily be able to find leaflets that will steer you towards any number of gay support groups who will help you through your first tentative steps into your new life.

It isn't perfect yet, and there is a way to go still, but, as imperfect as it it, there has never been an easier time to come out.

The times, they are a-changing and even if the current mood of the nation is divided, angry and struggling to come to terms with the monumental act of national self-harm we've done to ourselves, it hasn't necessarily been taken out on gay people. There are still pockets of "gay hate", usually among the extreme right, who try to denigrate us by describing themselves as "normal, decent people"...... a sort of reverse-discrimination, the implication being that if you're not straight, you're not normal or decent, but hey, if that's the best they can do, then they lack imagination and we can laugh that off.

I'm a lesbian........ a dyke....... a queer......... a rugmuncher..... a bean flicker..... a vadgetarian (that's my favourite one. lol)........ and a hundred other pejoratives besides. I'm as gay as a maypole and I fookin' love it.

I wouldn't change a thing.

• So now we are at the stage when non-essential retail will be allowed to open, but will it be too little too late for a lot of shops and businesses that haven't been able to trade online for whatever reason, and will the public suddenly start shopping in store again socially distancing and PPE permitting of course, I suppose only time will tell. :/

Only in England Ron. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will not be opening non-essential shops yet. It will come soon but I don't think opening everything in one day is a wise move. It should be a phased opening. However we are where we are and we will have to live with it.

Getting people back to work in workshops, factories, schools, universities and offices should IMO be the first priority.

• Official Post

Even with the vaccines, Mike? How much longer do you think this should carry on?

The messages from the government have spooked many people, it seems, and now people are afraid to come out of their front doors. They’ve rather overdone it, don’t you think?

Time to get things back to normal. This has gone on long enough.

• Official Post

I don't think opening everything in one day is a wise move.

Our local Toby Carvery isn't opening their beer garden 'til the 24th and then it's bookings only. That probably really applies in the evenings and weekends as even when things are normal mid afternoons are pretty quiet. I like to drop in for a pint on the way to the supermarket and usually sit outside in good weather.

• The sad thing is for a lot of businesses to get back on their feet as they where before the pandemic it will require less staff for less wages working longer hours. The business owners / share holders are not going to be willing to take any less. Saying that, the pub they showed on the news open late last night only had something like 17 customers sitting outside for their first pint. It must have cost that pub more to open than what they earned unless the news channel gave them a wage for the publicity like a realty TV programme. In fact I wouldn't put it past all those customers to have actually been part of the news and film crew for the show, all scripted.

Here's the reality.....

PRC_190284433.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=964%2C506

• Official Post

The sad thing is for a lot of businesses to get back on their feet as they where before the pandemic it will require less staff for less wages working longer hours. The business owners / share holders are not going to be willing to take any less. Saying that, the pub they showed on the news open late last night only had something like 17 customers sitting outside for their first pint. It must have cost that pub more to open than what they earned unless the news channel gave them a wage for the publicity like a realty TV programme. In fact I wouldn't put it past all those customers to have actually been part of the news and film crew for the show, all scripted.

Here's the reality.....

PRC_190284433.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=964%2C506

They won’t be paying less for more hours worked, Norra. That’s why we have the minimum wage, implemented by the Cameron government.

• And what if they where on £10 per hour before and has now been reduced to the bare minimum or maybe they got tips before but now they are diverted elsewhere or maybe they got 1h lunch before but that has now been reduced to 30mins or maybe shifts have been adjusted to just under 8h to 7h so they can get away with only giving a 15min break. There's more than way to skin a horse.

• And what if they where on £10 per hour before and has now been reduced to the bare minimum or maybe they got tips before but now they are diverted elsewhere or maybe they got 1h lunch before but that has now been reduced to 30mins or maybe shifts have been adjusted to just under 8h to 7h so they can get away with only giving a 15min break. There's more than way to skin a horse.

And don't forget that the Tories have it in mind to abolish the Working Hours Directive. This was leaked to the Financial Times in January and, true to form, the Usual Suspects of the mainstream (Tory) press are strangely quiet about it.

Tory Plans To Abolish The Working Hours Directive *

The WHD is an EU protection that allows workers the lawful right to work no more than 48 hours a week. Employers can't force any worker to work more than that against their will. But of course...... Brexit enables that to be done away with and it's clearly in the Tories sights.

It's pretty clear the way it will work. Once abolished, employers will have carte blanche to impose any working hours they want on any employee. "Do you want to keep your job or don't you? You can be replaced, you know."

Yes....... we could really go back to that level of employment fascism.

* For Mike Murphy: That bit in red type, Mike, is what we call a "link". It's where I back my remarks up with something that supports my argument. Hover your mouse over it and a little finger-pointy-thingy will appear. Click once and a page will open that you can read and become better informed. Aint that great, eh..?

• PS to my previous.

Snip from article linked to above:

IER Director, Carolyn Jones, commented: “The UK economy is in freefall following decades of deregulation, privatisation and austerity. Underinvestment, low productivity and lack of spending power are the problems not rest breaks, overtime or holiday pay.

“Instead of holding discussions with ‘250 leading business figures’ the PM would do well to listen to representatives of those who produce the wealth, provide the services and keep the economy turning. Let’s not forget, working time regulations are part of a health and safety package. Only an idiot would propose undermining that package in the midst of a global health crisis.”

Who might that "idiot" be...?

a-boris.jpg

• Now I work as a volunteer in a charity furniture and electrical store and have to deal with people who seem to have very differing ideas of what they expect from a charity store, the store I work at has a range of donated furniture and electrical items that are kindly donated by members of the public as well as a range of brand new items to cater for all needs which is all good.

When it comes to the donated items free collection can be arranged by either going online and making a request on the charity's website for a collection which is then sent to the store that collects from the nearest available store to the persons address based on their postcode, they could also phone the store to arrange collection and they can also visit the store to make the arrangements, whichever method they chose the items have to be in good saleable order i.e. not broken, reasonable clean and in the case of anything that is upholstered or made of fabric have a fire safety label, the thing is the van crew that goes to collect the items have a certain amount of discretion in that they can look at an item and if it they considered it is not suitable they can decline the items, the problem is that some people will actually lie often say something is in good condition or have the relevant fire safety label when it doesn't, they seem to just want a free service that take their old stuff away.

The expectations of some customers who want to buy seems to be that donated items should be as good as new yet they don't want to pay for a new item, the pricing of the donated items is done via a price guide and is based on the brand and condition of the item and are way less expensive than new versions of the items, you would be surprised at how often I am asked if the price of a donated item can be reduced there reasoning seems to be "oh its a charity shop" which suggests to me the charity bit should be applied to them and not the fact the item is being sold to raise money for a charity.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• That’s why we have the minimum wage,

Funny enough I watched Horizon (the TV programme LOL) last night on catch up which was about employment in this country and where do we go from here after COVID. All the tech giants have earned out of COVID and are on the up while the gig workers are on the increase. 47% of amazon delivery drivers earn less than the minimum wage. By the time they have paid expenses they are lucky if they take home £6 per hour. They even have such tight time schedules and so many packages to deliver that they have to break the highway laws and some even keep a bottle under the seat in case they need to go as they don't have time to stop at humane toilets. Humane toilets being the amazon workers words not mine. But of course none of you could give a flying f**ck as long as you get your get your cheap amazon goods.

Uber drivers recently won a court case that said they have to be employed as workers so they get a minimum amount of hours and other rights. Uber have now gone and altered other parts of their contract so they cut costs to workers wages by other means. It's looks like the drivers are going to have to take them back to court again which will last how long and cost how much. The gig economy is the only economy left for real people. Not your corporate c***s and over privileged.

Even in the NHS there have been Band 3 NHS workers who got laid off with no furlough and have now been offered their old job back but at Band 6, still on zero hours contact and less hours. It's no wonder they want immigrants as they can treat them like slaves and get away with it. And that's all before we even get to the illegal workers out in fields where there is genuine (according to law) people smuggling, slavery and extortion.

This country runs on modern slavery. Quite frankly we are no better than N Korea, many of those illegals even end up murdered and disappear off the radar. As for the others they die from poverty, starvation, getting ill and all the rest of it after they have paid their rent and bills. Some of them may even be worked to death from injuries or stress related heart attacks. The majority would be better off on the dole but they choose to work just to keep some sanity. That's the reality.

• Of course this could be turned into just another polotics thread, but I would rather it didn't. 🙄

• Of course this could be turned into just another polotics thread, but I would rather it didn't. 🙄

Of course you would. Who wants the truth about Britain being revealed..?

The problem Ron, is that these things ............ that Norra and myself try to bring out into the open........ are very real. They are happening and they are destroying lives. You and I and others on here may be relatively well off and comfortable, but to simply airbrush the harsh reality of what is genuinely happening to an increasing number of people is something that our consciences shouldn't allow.

I take your comments about charity shops (above): I am asked if the price of a donated item can be reduced there reasoning seems to be "oh its a charity shop" which suggests to me the charity bit should be applied to them and not the fact the item is being sold to raise money for a charity.

In that one sentence, you sum up 2020's Britain in a nutshell. People are out for themselves. "I want something for as little as I can possibly get away with, regardless of the impact it may have on those less fortunate."

Where is the thinking that: "It's for a good cause and OK, so it's a couple of bob more than I'd like to pay, but I can afford it."

Yep, I've used charity shops and that's always been my line of thinking. I use the British Heart Foundation shop because I'm grateful for the by-pass surgery that means my father in law is still with us and without which he probably wouldn't be here now. We realise that debt of gratitude that we owe and not only do I willingly pay the price, but I always put something in the collecting box too...... and I buy my Christmas cards there. I've donated goods to the shop. It feels like I'm giving something back...... saying "Thank you". And isn't that what it's supposed to be all about..?

But we as a nation have turned into a "Dog Eat Dog" society where Charity begins at home. That is no longer the saying of working class housewives who have to live with a frugal necessity to mind the pennies, but it has been consecrated into a national mentality of grab, grab, grab and to hell with those whose face you have to walk over to keep as much money in your own purse so you can afford that second holiday this year.

I admire you working in a charity shop. Giving your labour for free in a worthy cause is a noble act and speaks well of you. I wonder how you reconcile that with your political support for the very people who are making such places ever more essential with every day they stay in power...? A power you have bestowed upon them.

• I wonder how you reconcile that with your political support for the very people who are making such places ever more essential with every day they stay in power...? A power you have bestowed upon them.

I don't support and I didn't bestow them with power, that's how I reconcile myself. :P;)

• I don't support and I didn't bestow them with power, that's how I reconcile myself. :P;)

From the messages you post on here, it's pretty clear that you support Brexit, the Tories and other things. If you don't, then you're misrepresenting yourself by posting messages inconsistent with your political beliefs.

It has to be said that I can only interpret your opinions from the posts you make on the site. I'm not a mind reader. I think I make it pretty clear on my personal position on many issues......... there can be no doubting that I despise some things you find acceptable which puts us at odds with each other....... and that's fair enough in a discussion forum.

I get accused of being everything from being an anti-semitic member of the IRA to being the reincarnation of Karl Marx on here....... and I don't even vote Labour..!!! I'm a card carrying Green Party member..!!! Why do I get spoken of in these terms..? Because I oppose the Tories.......... and that creates impressions.

"Bestowing" power on a politician comes in more ways than voting for them. Example: They will very often use "Public opinion" as justification for their actions. If you support any given policy of theirs (and I'll avoid using the "B" word, but you know damned well it's always the elephant in the room) then you contribute to the "public opinion" that they exploit for their own means.

Yes........ you do empower them. And I can't prove it, but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of pigshit that come next month, if you vote at all, your X will go in the box next to the Tory candidate's name. That's the impression your comments give and in my opinion, that makes you a supporter.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!