Ron's thoughts on the world, human race and other random waffle!

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • A lot of truth in the saying opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one, also my opinion is very much like everyone's, it's worth exactly what is paid for it, I know there are some people who think their opinion is more worthy than others and anyone who doesn't agree with them is an idiot.

but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of pigshit that come next month,

You'll lose! ;)

PS, I don't pigeonhole myself like others do, but that doesn't stop others from trying to pigeonhole me. :P

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

Edited once, last by Ron Manager ().

• A lot of truth in the saying opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one, also my opinion is very much like everyone's, it's worth exactly what is paid for it, I know there are some people who think their opinion is more worthy than others and anyone who doesn't agree with them is an idiot.

You'll lose! ;)

PS, I don't pigeonhole myself like others do, but that doesn't stop others from trying to pigeonhole me. :P

So you win a pinch of pigshit. :P

As for your invitation then, I'll take you up on that and respond accordingly.

• So you win a pinch of pigshit. :P

As for your invitation then, I'll take you up on that and respond accordingly.

You can say what you like about me I'm not some snowflake who will get all bent out of shape over words somone who is insignificant to me has to say about me, chances are whatever you say about me will be completely wrong anyway as the assumption you have all ready made about is about a far away from being right as you can get and is quite laughable. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I'll try to get back on track about the public buying second-hand goods and within that description, antiques.

Much of the begging problem stems from TV shows. People always had a tendency to get a knockdown price but it has now reached ridiculous levels where beggars are wanting to buy often at less than half the ticket price and on the TV shows often win the day. So that when something has a ticket price of say £100 and a buyer gets it for £20 it tells me that the vendor is either waiting for an idiot to walk in; alternatively, if he's making a profit at £20, he's probably robbed someone by paying well below the market value.

Anyone watching these programmes will know that the competitors and experts are themselves auctioneers and in their day job they attempt to screw every last penny from the buyer yet they beg unscrupulously when wearing their buying hat.

But they are very much a cause of the problem explained by Ron and I have many experiences that I could relate if there's enough interest.

• What TV programmes? Unless you watching QVC. I wouldn't call people shopping for a bargain as begging. They just don't want to be ripped off and many folk are actually trying to save or simply can't afford any more. People are not stupid they know how much they are being ripped off because they see how much the shops can afford to sell things for and still make a profit during the sales like Black Friday etc. It would be wise for the shop to give a discount if asked rather than let the customer walk out the door with nothing. A small profit is better than no profit.

As for the charity shops most folk shop there for cheap goods because they are poor. But charity is not a charity as much as it's a tax free business. Charity workers can earn a fortune. Not the folk on the shop floor so much as more often than not they will be on minimum wage or volunteers used for slave labour. The customers are a charity case much of the time. The majority of folk don't shop there thinking they are supporting the charity. They just want cheaper goods. An old woman living on a basic pension can't afford Next, Gap, Dorothy Perkins or whatever so they go to the charity shops. Thrift stores as they call them.

• volunteers used for slave labour

Volunteers are hardly slave labour, they choose to do it, that's what volunteer means, I certainly don't feel like a slave, also charity's raise money to fund research that's what BHF does at least, research into heart and circulatory diseases, such as stroke, vascular dementia and diabetes, and also provide support for people with those. Looks like you need to do some research I suggest google is your friend try typing in British Heart Foundation there website will provide you with a whole load of information you might even learn something, if its not too much effort for you. :rolleyes:

As for thrift store that is more of a American expression, majority of people I know do refer to them as charity shops. ;)

• How would the CAB or the Samaritan survive without all those dedicated volunteers. They are NOT slave labour they are caring people who want to help those in difficulty by freely giving their time.

Strangely I find that those volunteers don't come from the Far Left section of society. I wonder why.....

• Volunteers are hardly slave labour, they choose to do it, that's what volunteer means, I certainly don't feel like a slave, also charity's raise money to fund research that's what BHF does at least, research into heart and circulatory diseases, such as stroke, vascular dementia and diabetes, and also provide support for people with those. Looks like you need to do some research I suggest google is your friend try typing in British Heart Foundation there website will provide you with a whole load of information you might even learn something, if its not too much effort for you. :rolleyes:

As for thrift store that is more of a American expression, majority of people I know do refer to them as charity shops. ;)

"Charity Shops" is good enough for me. I have no qualms about shopping in them or contributing to them.

The only sad thing about them is that they are so necessary in a country that boasts of being one of the richest in the world (though that ranking is slipping steadily.... like our credit rating).

As pointed out elsewhere, in when it started operating in 2010, the Trussell Trust donated 40'000 food parcels. In 2020 that figure had risen to nearly 2 million (That's nearly 2 million parcels donated in 2020 alone, not the cumulative total).

Trussell Trust

snip.

In 2018-19, food banks in the Trussell Trust’s network distributed 1.6 million food bank parcels to people in crisis – a 19% increase on the previous year. Over half a million of these parcels went to children. In the last five years, food bank use in the Trussell Trust network has increased by 73%.

State Of Hunger

What do you think happened back in 2010 that caused that figure to rise so steeply every year since..?

cameron.jpg

• Iain Duncan Smith happened that's what happened he was involved in the DWP.

He made a remark about being able to live 50 quid a week or some stupidly low amount but when challenged to try it hadn't got the balls to take up that challenge.

• Official Post

The impact of austerity, caused by the lack of good financial management and chronic overspending by the previous government.

• The impact of austerity, caused by the lack of good financial management and chronic overspending by the previous government.

They've had eleven years to get over anything they inherited. The tired old chestnut about "We have to clean up Labour's mess" - which actually, wasn't entirely Labour's mess, it was mostly the American sub-prime market's mess that created the 2008 global crisis* - doesn't wash any more. You can only go to the well with that one for so long.

Austerity was a Tory policy which Clegg should have vetoed (and the LibDems are still paying the political price for their craven capitulation on that one, and tuition fees). Austerity was entirely.... absolutely.... completely and utterly....... down to the Tories and nobody else.

* And don't get me started on the Iraq / Afghanistan wars. Labour took us into those and trust me... I was very much against them on that... but the Tories would have done the same. They voted for it in Parliament too. That mud for the wars sticks to them too. Ahhhh.... the "Million People March" against the war in February 2003. My very first major demo. What a day..!!

• "Charity Shops" is good enough for me. I have no qualms about shopping in them or contributing to them.

Yes and why should anyone, also "Charity shops" are good for the environment as they essentially recycle/reuse items that would otherwise end up on landfill tips.

And yes some of us would like to live in a world where everything and everyone was catered for when it came to support, health and care needs by the system, but we don't, and charities are there to pick up the slack and they do a bloody good job as far as I'm concerned.

And anyone who goes into a charity shop and demands ( and yes I do mean demand as some of them do I have witnessed it) a bit of discount is essentially robbing from a charity in my opinion, all the price in the BHF furniture and electrical store I volunteer in are done using a price guide which takes in to account the condition the items are in and there are several tiers depending on the condition ranging from almost new to almost scrap, they have prices to suit every budget, but of course you will always get the tight mean and stingy people. :D

• Official Post

They've had eleven years to get over anything they inherited. The tired old chestnut about "We have to clean up Labour's mess" - which actually, wasn't entirely Labour's mess, it was mostly the American sub-prime market's mess that created the 2008 global crisis* - doesn't wash any more. You can only go to the well with that one for so long.

Austerity was a Tory policy which Clegg should have vetoed (and the LibDems are still paying the political price for their craven capitulation on that one, and tuition fees). Austerity was entirely.... absolutely.... completely and utterly....... down to the Tories and nobody else.

You are absolutely correct to say that the 2008 crash was caused by the US financial sector, I have no argument with you on that.

The reason most people blame Labour is because they sold all our gold reserves and went on a massive spending spree during the golden years. That was a huge mistake, similar to the one Greece made when it took serious advantage of its ability to hand out the cash with its membership of the EU transforming its finances.

We could have avoided austerity had Labour put money aside for a rainy day, but they didn't. We ended up with no reserves and all the money spent.

I'm afraid that if we were to avoid greater impoverishment than we endured during austerity, the Conservative-led government had no choice other than to impose austerity. The reason was the deficit, which was causing us to spend more than we were earning year-on-year. And it would take years to plug that deficit. It was a major task to reduce the deficit to sustainable levels. You need to remember that each year, the deficit was having to be funded by more debt, and left to increase exponentionally, that debt would have been a huge millstone around our necks.

Austerity was awful, but it was the key to future prosperity. Without it, our future was bleak. Eleven years may seem a long time, and it is, but that conveys the seriousness of the situation we faced. That debt was not going to be paid off quickly without even greater hardship.

What we are facing now with the pandemic is an easier situation to deal with in terms of the deficit (in that it has been caused by a one-off event which can be turned around quickly) and although the debt arising from it is far greater, it can be brought down more quickly as the deficit will disappear as soon as everything is back to normal and interest rates are at an all time low.

That still leaves a huge amount to repay, I know, but the Conservative plan is to invest heavily, regenerate the north and other impoverished parts of the country, improve massively transport links, encourage new industries and investors, develop global trade and become leaner, fitter and entrepreneural as a country. This will transform the economy of the country for the better.

Frankly, I see this as the only way we can get out of this financial mess and to help people to become better off, and not only preserve, but make much better our public services.

I have yet to hear of an alternative plan that makes any sense.

• I was thinking maybe there should be a Heterosexual Pride week it only seems fair after all said and done, just trying to think when it should be. 🤔

• Whenever any alternative plan is proposed, you'll dismiss it out of hand like you do everything else that doesn't come from Tory HQ.

But I congratulate you on trotting out the party line yet again. That was a textbook answer right out of the Neoliberalist manual.

Why couldn't the tories have invested heavily in 2010....? Why couldn't they have "regenerated the north"...... "Improved massively transport links, encouraged new industries and investors, and become leaner, fitter and entrepreneurial as a country" back then...?

The situation then was not as bad as it is now. We are in a far worse financial state now than we were in 2010...... building up a huge Covid debt, losing business hand over fist due to Brexit..... many of our best people are bugging out of the country to work overseas because they can see Britain going down the tubes...... Investors and entrepreneurs are shifting their money out of the country (Dyson to Hong Kong, Rees-Mogg to Ireland, etc). Businesses are moving to Europe because of the increased paperwork and bureaucracy caused by Johnson's "oven ready" deal with the EU. Those businesses now pay tax to Holland, France and Germany instead of UK. They employ Dutch people, Germans and French instead of British workers. They pay business rates and taxes there rather than here.

£1 TRILLION in financial services business has been lost since Brexit. On the long scale, that is £1000'000'000'000'000'000 if the size of that number doesn't make your mind boggle, nothing will.

Banks and Insurers Move £1 Trillion Out Of UK to EU

Snip:

“The worse news is that this analysis is almost certainly a significant underestimate of the real picture,” the report said. “We are only at the end of the beginning of Brexit.”

How the hell does that benefit Britain....?

I'm sure you'll airily dismiss this with a casual wave of your hand. But it's happening. For real.

And you say we'll just "invest". With what..? Britain's credit rating has declined markedly from 2010. We are deeper in debt now than we were then. I could post link after link after link (and have been doing so for some months now) and you'd blithely ignore them all.

You can talk of trade deals until the cows come home but they just aren't there. The massive irony of Brexit is that the only deals struck so far, are the rollover agreements with 60 or so countries, who have agreed to the status quo*..... that is, to continue trading with Britain under the same arrangements we had with the EU.

In effect, as far as those countries are concerned, WE STILL ARE IN THE EU...!! Massive irony.

What incentive have those countries got to negotiate anything else...? They're quite happy to be trading with Britain under a system they clearly like, are familiar with, and provides them with benefits and advantages without doing anything differently.

What is Britain going to offer them that is better than that...? What have we got that will bring them to the table...?

This is a question you never answer. What does Britain have to offer, that is better than what is already in place...?

I've said it before....... I readily admit that I'm not an economist, but when something looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit and steams like bullshit, then it's a pretty safe bet that it's bullshit. And all these rainbows and unicorns look, smell and steam just like bullshit.

OK.... I will post two more links - more in hope than anticipation. I doubt they'll be read. But this is the Wall Street Journal speaking here. The British tabloid press doesn't report on these things but other countries do, and they are read by the very people you are going to rely on to produce your economic miracle. If I was an American businessman reading what is in these articles, I wouldn't touch Britain with a barge pole.

Wall Street Journal - British Economy, Worst In G7

Wall Street Journal - UK On Course For Weakest Performance Among Advanced Economies

Unicorns don't exist. Rainbows fade when the weather changes. We can't base our entire future on them.

*The Japan deal was a rollover that was tweaked a little ....... in favour of the Japanese.... It was nothing remotely resembling a comprehensive trade deal. And Britain actually had to give them incentives to secure the rollover. So we came out of that worse off.

Good business. For Japan, yeah.

• Urrgh this threads supposed to be for fun, as in I'm only here for the shits and giggles. 8o:rolleyes:

OB opened the door. I walked through it. Don't give me the opportunity to make my point because I'll take it regardless of whatever thread it's posted on. No apologies for that. It's all fair game to me.

But it's all shits and giggles........ until somebody giggles and shits.

At least things aren't as bad now as they were in March 2020.............

shits-and-giggles.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!