Ron's thoughts on the world, human race and other random waffle!

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • So with tongue firmly in cheek I wish everybody, a Happy St George's day, for those that ain't aware today 23rd April is St George's Day, the day when all English people should stand proud and tall and celebrate their Englishness.

Saint George's Day - Wikipedia

As can be seen England is not the only country that recognises St George.

Saint George's Day in England - Wikipedia

As can be seen there were calls to make St George's day a public holiday in England.

Also for a bit of light hearted relief how about this song as the English national anthem:

Tenpole Tudor - Swords Of A Thousand Men - YouTube

By the way St George wasn't actually English and the fact the English have adopted him as a Saint just shows how multicultural they are. 8o

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Don't give me the opportunity to make my point because I'll take it regardless of whatever thread it's posted on.

Yes, you strike me as someone who likes the sound of their own voice, do you talk loudly when on your phone, looking around occasionally to see if people have heard? 8o

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Yes, you strike me as someone who likes the sound of their own voice, do you talk loudly when on your phone, looking around occasionally to see if people have heard? 8o

It takes one to know one. :P:P

But no..... I never look around. I'm far too self-centred and up my own arse to care if anybody is listening.

Actually, living in Cornwall, my softly spoken Home Counties accent usually gets me quizzical looks and comments like "You're not from round here, are you?"

I've learned to cope with it all and smile. A bit like posting on Forum Box.

• By the way St George wasn't actually English and the fact the English have adopted him as a Saint just shows how multicultural they are. 8o

Were, Ron. We WERE multicultural.

George of Lydda was made patron saint of England in 1350, just after the Black Plague finished and the country became swamped with migrant workers from Europe who were actually welcomed here because of the death toll from the plague. Yeah, I'd say we were pretty multicultural back then, though perhaps OB might be able to give us a few personal insights on what it was like in those days. ^^^^

Our attitude towards migrant workers has changed a bit since then...... well....... recently, at any rate. Oh how quickly people forget, eh..?

• Well life is too damn short to worry about what other people think of you, if anyone has a problem with anything I say then that is their problem not mine. :P

• Using the royal "we" I see, I still am multicultural, thanks. ;)

The national "We". We as a people. The British people.

I'm glad to see you now identify with the multicultural values and core principles of the European Union again. Welcome back.

• The national "We". We as a people. The British people.

I'm glad to see you now identify with the multicultural values and core principles of the European Union again. Welcome back.

To be honest I supported Brexit because that was the way the vote went I support the democratic will of the people regardless of how slim the majority was.

• I have always preferred St Patrick's day. At least they go out and get pissed and celebrate.

I often wonder why people support these national saints days. Such people aren't religious. Find me one person who attended a church service last Friday to give thanks for the life of St George. No takers...? That doesn't surprise me.

It's got nothing to do with religious belief or the veneration of a saint. It's about nationalism. It's about the worship of "England"..... An act of nationalist flag shagging that the hard right get such a hard on about.

Why don't they just call it what it is........ St George's Flag Day. Because it is the flag that is being venerated. Not the saint.

Yes....... the Irish have got a better handle on it. The don't pretend that it's anything more than an excuse to go out and get hammered. At least they're honest about it.

• Its also believed that St Patrick wasn't actually Irish, not that it really matters.

Quite right. It's not quite clear which nationality he was. Some people here argue that he was in fact Cornish. There is a stong likelihood that he left England from the Cornish coast to travel to Ireland.

It's also doubtful that he really did banish the snakes, but it's an amusing legend. Not quite as stirring as slaying a mythical beast, but hey... each to their own.

Set alongside these two, the poor old Welsh and Scots have got pretty boring patron saints. Come on you Celtic brothers... Spice your legends up a bit... let's hear about some derring-do from St Andrew and St David. The people demand ridiculous legends that they can get all patriotic about..!!

Perhaps the Welsh could claim that St David fought off a zombie apocalypse, and St Andrew battled a legion of Orcs that escaped from Middle Earth. That would be fun...!!

Amazon Prime would be all over that in an instant wanting to make a blockbuster series out of it.

• I actually did one of those political compass type tests once and it placed me more or less slap bang in the middle when I did it without to much thought involved with the questions, but I can see how anyone can skew the results on it by thinking and choosing the answers more carefully as I did it myself afterwards as a test just to see either ending up far left or far right depending on the answers I chose.

• I don't know if you are aware but Cornwall the county you live in has it own patron saint, three of them in fact:

"St Piran is one of three Patron Saints Of Cornwall. The other two are St Michael and St Petroc. Michael is associated with St Michael's Mount and St Petroc with Padstow. Cornwall's St Michael has his own feast day celebrated on May 8th, and St Petroc has 4th June."

St Piran has his own flag which is the Cornish flag White cross on a black background, but you are not a fan of flags if I remember correctly. :P

Saint Piran - Wikipedia

• "Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia

I just thought I would post this as I have frequented quite a few forums at different times and heard it mentioned and to a certain extent it has a ring of truth about it, because it does happen and even on this forum at times and quite frequently too. :D

• "Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia

I just thought I would post this as I have frequented quite a few forums at different times and heard it mentioned and to a certain extent it has a ring of truth about it, because it does happen and even on this forum at times and quite frequently too. :D

The so-called "Godwin's Law" (misnomer. It isn't a law) is an attempt to deflect from the probability that the more a topic is discussed, the more likely it is that an accurate conclusion will be arrived at.

If you start off discussing an individual, and in the course of that discussion facts about that individual emerge that lead to a certain conclusion, then it should be no surprise that the conclusion is arrived at in the end.

Godwins Law is an old trope created for and used by people who want to deter anybody from arriving at that specific conclusion.

It doesn't mean that the conclusion isn't true.

• Well it does seem true that some people do in fact refer to other people as "nazis" or being like "hitler" as a insult an Somthing that is untrue, maybe if people didn't do that then such things would not arise like Godwins law.

• Yes that's another one and the way some refer to those who want to be patriotic as racist hooligans just because they want to wave a flag.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!