GB News launches soon

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Newsreader Simon McCoy has announced he is leaving the BBC after 17 years, to join the forthcoming GB News operation.

Ofcom recently granted a licence for GB News, but it won't launch this month as was originally announced by Andrew Neil.

The first real sign that GB News is on the way though, is with the news that Simon McCoy is joining them. Personally, I can't stand him and if the "news" channel is going to be lead by gobby American style "anchors" I'll probably give it a miss.

• Do we really need another news channel, I avoid watching the news as much as I can anyway so I definitely wont be watching.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It's whether it will actually be a "news" channel though, Ron. As I said in the other thread, if they separate out news and opinion, that's fine, but if it's going to be a Fox News style channel, then no thanks.

• Whatever channel is broadcasting the news, they should remember that what the viewer wants to see and hear is the news and NOT the personal opinions of the news reader. The BBC is the worst offender and should enforce this important point. If a news reader ignores this, they should be sacked --- Simples.

• I will certainly watch it to see if it has well-balanced news programmes on it. I currently watch the News at Ten on BBC1 because it is the best news programme available, but I don’t like its slightly left of centre balance and I don’t like these ‘personal news stories’ that they keep showing. They should bring us more international news instead.

If GB News has a prime time news slot which is balanced (I’d rather it was dead centre rather than slightly right of centre, but there you go), and if it didn’t focus so much on the bleeding heart individual accounts from people, then I might watch that instead. If it is sensationalist, I will definitely give it a miss.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Whatever channel is broadcasting the news, they should remember that what the viewer wants to see and hear is the news and NOT the personal opinions of the news reader. The BBC is the worst offender and should enforce this important point. If a news reader ignores this, they should be sacked --- Simples.

I've no problem with opinion, as long as it's kept separate from the news. What I expect we'll get is a LBC News/Talkradio/Fox News style channel with "anchor" led opinionated shows. As the channel will still have to abide by Ofcom rules, then news will get shoved into a two minute slot at the beginning of each hour. I actually have no problem with this, but what I do have a problem with is calling a news channel News when it clearly isn't.

• You might end up with Piers Morgan and his opinions. It will just be another copy and paste jobbie with a spin that meets their own agenda. There is very little true independent non bias journalism left in this world. When you have news taking some random tweet or influencer seriously then there is something messed up as it does not reflect the real world. It's just a story to gain viewers. It's treated more like a business to gain customers rather than reading the news.

• Andrew Neil has discussed the format of his new flagship primetime programme on the upcoming GB News channel.

The veteran broadcaster, who is chairman of the new venture, will host an hour-long show on the station four days a week when it launches in the coming months.

Andrew Neil is going to do a "Woke Watch" segment and for that alone, is probably worth watching his new show. ^^ He will also do a main interview, a Media Watch segment and a review of the day's events similar to what he did on This Week and the Daily Politics. Sounds good. I really enjoyed Thursday's evening's This Week and if Neil replicates that, I will definitely watch.

Colin Brazier from Sky News has also joined the channel and just last week ITV's Alastair Stewart also signed up, so some big names there. Kirsty Gallacher and Aussie big mouth Dan Wootton, who did work for the Sun, but now works for the Mail have also joined. There is also speculation that Sky News' Kay Burley may also join after her recent six month suspension from Sky News for breaking covid restrictions to have a birthday party. Others joining the channel include Liam Halligan and former The Apprentice gob 0'mighty, Michelle Dewberry.

We await to see if Piers Morgan signs up.... He is currently spending a lot of time talking to America's Fox News still going on about Meghan Markle, so his attention looks like its focused on America.

Here's a look at the new graphics for the channel:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Looks pretty slick!

Although I would prefer a "proper" news channel, I am so sick of tired of the other broadcasters, that GB News will probably become my main destination for all things tv news related. Yes I know I said I would avoid the channel, but there we go. It's either that or back to the BBC, or worse, CH4 News. =O^^

• We haven't had any real journalistic news since the days of Angela Rippon and Kate Adie. From then onwards it's all been more about entertainment, political bias and manipulation. Unless GB news ends up on one of the freeview channels I have no interest in it whatsoever.

• We haven't had any real journalistic news since the days of Angela Rippon and Kate Adie. From then onwards it's all been more about entertainment, political bias and manipulation. Unless GB news ends up on one of the freeview channels I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Fox News UK. Distorted propaganda for right wing nutjobs.

It could only have been allowed a licence by this government.

It is likely to be available on Sky (which we have for movies and sport) but I wouldn't touch it with a disinfected barge pole.

• I just hate the so called news anyway so it won't be for me it wi be just another mish mash of opinion and news rolled into one, I don't need to be told how I should react to things that are going on in the world I'm intelligent and have enough common sense to be able to make my own mind up.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I have been waiting for a decent middle of the road news channel for a while now........ As long as they don't promote all that nasty Wokery stuff and stick to proper news I will definitely watch it. ---BUT--- If it starts putting out looney lefty rubbish I'll give it miss. I will make my decision after a few programmes have been aired.

It will launch on Freeview ch 236.

I have been waiting for a decent middle of the road news channel for a while now........ As long as they don't promote all that nasty Wokery stuff and stick to proper news I will definitely watch it. ---BUT--- If it starts putting out looney lefty rubbish I'll give it miss. I will make my decision after a few programmes have been aired.

There won't be any looney left rubbish, it will blatantly be a Conservative "news" channel with a capital C.

• Fox News UK. Distorted propaganda for right wing nutjobs.

It could only have been allowed a licence by this government.

It is likely to be available on Sky (which we have for movies and sport) but I wouldn't touch it with a disinfected barge pole.

Fox News is a comedy channel, isn’t it?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I also watch BBC News, Jenny. It’s balance I am looking for.

That's the way but more and more I am finding all news channels are like news websites and they all tell the same stories. Online they even copy and paste each other, bot news. Where they do differ is non news story's, celebrity rubbish and waffle as gap fillers. I can happily flick back and forth between GMTV in the morning and the BBC depending on what they are talking about and if interests me and who is doing the presenting.

• BBC rival GB News to start broadcasting 'within weeks'

The Telegraph can reveal that the right-leaning news network - spearheaded by veteran broadcaster Andrew Neil - goes live on May 31

Promos start on the 27th with the actual launch date on Bank Holiday Monday.

With Murdoch pulling out of launching a rival news channel, GB News "just" has to compete with the incumbents namely the BBC and Sky News. Time will tell whether they'll be successful or not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!