Suez Canal ship stuck.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I thought they would get this cleared quickly but it looks like it is becoming a major event. It might even start the panic buying again. :rolleyes:

• To think of the thousands of ships which have used the canal since it was built without incident. How could the master of this ship have got navigation and seamanship so wrong. Those ships are equipped with bow and stern thrusters and if there were gusts of wind, as the master claimed, the direction of the ship can be controlled.

The alternative route round the south of Africa is time consuming and very expensive, pushing the cost of goods up for the consumer.

The Voice of Reason

• Some wag said "Think you're going to need a bigger digger"

The alternative route round the south of Africa is time consuming and very expensive, pushing the cost of goods up for the consumer.

Certainly short term and also temporary shortages of some imported goods. Toilet paper has been mentioned.

• Got stocked up on toilet paper yesterday. :)

I thought they would get this cleared quickly but it looks like it is becoming a major event. It might even start the panic buying again.

I thought this would be a one day story too, good job there isn't a pandemic on or the EU causing trade problems...

I don't think there will be panic buying, as that would only happen if food got blocked, but most of it doesn't come via that route anyway.

Looks like things are getting "busy" in this part of the world again, as the Iranians fired a missile at an Israeli ship as about the same time this happened.

To think of the thousands of ships which have used the canal since it was built without incident. How could the master of this ship have got navigation and seamanship so wrong. Those ships are equipped with bow and stern thrusters and if there were gusts of wind, as the master claimed, the direction of the ship can be controlled.

No idea, but each ship through the route has to use a local "pilot" to navigate the waterway, so clearly a big mess up somewhere.

• The mega-ship longer than the Eiffel Tower blocking the Suez Canal has been refloated.

Footage posted on social media appeared to show the Ever Given had straightened after its stern had swung towards the canal bank enabling other ships to pass.

The 400m-long Ever Given became wedged in the shipping lane due to extreme weather conditions last Tuesday.

Inchcape, a maritime services firm, is one of several sources reporting that the boat had been freed at 4.30am local time.

News agency Reuters, citing shipping sources, said the cargo vessel was almost fully re-floated and had restarted its engines.

Good news but it's going to take some time for the backlog to be shifted.

• And a lot to do first. A lot of the containers are going to be taken off the ship to lighten it, so it can be moved. Then it's got to move to "parking space", a wider part of the canal so that that the ship can be inspected and only then can other ships start using the canal again.

• Moving it to the Great Bitter Lake gives room for the other vessels to pass it. The point was made on R4 World at One that the hold up here is just the start as the vessels then descend on their target ports an will have to wait their turn to off-load and then get the empty containers back to be re-filled.

• Investigators are to place the captain and crew of the container ship which blocked the Suez Canal under house arrest, it is claimed.

Union officials fear that the 25 seamen will be “scapegoats” for the chaos which halted international trade though the vital waterway for six days.

Ever Given, which was wedged across the canal after running aground, is now being inspected after being freed by tugs.

The crew are expected to be seized by Egyptian maritime officials.

The government and seafarers’ organisations in India, where the men are from, fear they could face lengthy jail sentences.

Looks like the Egyptians aren't buying the wind story for the grounding.

• I disagree that the crew of Ever Given should be held under house arrest. It is the Captains responsibility to ensure his ship's safety at all times. Only he/she should be arrested.

The Voice of Reason

• I disagree that the crew of Ever Given should be held under house arrest. It is the Captains responsibility to ensure his ship's safety at all times. Only he/she should be arrested.

Correct the butt stops with who is in charge but that's for the company to deal with and rather than the captain be held under house arrest there should be large fines going out to the company that the captain is working for. No doubt he was under time constraints so accidents happen.

This incident has sparked up another issue. The mistreatment and handling of livestock. Link for you :D I know it's an EU news thing but.......

Some 200,000 animals trapped in Suez canal likely to die

https://euobserver.com/world/151394

cf03995f60dc9d2b1ac83b0edf693af1-800x.jpg

• Live animal shipments should be banned, it's cruel and nasty... Put them to the abattoir in the country they were reared, then ship the carcasses in refrigerated cargo vessels.

The Voice of Reason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!